Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What TV System

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiganut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What TV System
    Posted: 12/October/2018 at 10:43
I have not been over for a while,& not stopped in my house for five years,so my TV system will not be working,what is the best for occasional use?Suggestions please.

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Sponsored Links

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/October/2018 at 11:47
I would say laptop, Neil. Download a VPN thingy to hide your IP address and an HDMI lead to plug into your telly, and access UK free to air channels like More 4, BBC iPlayer and ITV hub easily.    
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/October/2018 at 07:15
BBC in particular are getting quite good at blocking VPN connections, but there are always ways and means. Try this website for example https://www.firstonetv.net/Index no VPN or IPTV box needed.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/October/2018 at 10:29
Never been blocked by the BBC or any other UK Channel.
I use Browsec which costs just $4.99 a month
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/October/2018 at 08:13
They can obviously see some VPN's easier than others.

Two weeks ago I was in UK and to sign in to the the BBC website just to listen to 5 Live Sports Extra. BBC TV I player "

Broadcasting as we knew it for almost 100 years will soon come to and end. Using digital platforms it's easier for governments and companies to control and restrict access to their services.
Albufeira Resident

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/October/2018 at 09:06
So you are not registered then?
That explains it.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
wendyhsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyhsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2018 at 19:35
What are the current options for TV?  Needs to be reliable for rental property and easy to use.  House has cable coming in and decent MEO wifi.  Don't need 100's of channels but def the UK ones.

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2018 at 08:57
get a satellite dish of about a meter in width - can easily find 2nd hand ones for 50 euros. Look online for a box that will allow you watch the intelsat 907. I got one for 40 quid off ebay. Phone Patric Molin to install the dish etc. bbc 1 and 2 + itv ' ch4 + ch5. very very reliable. not having to reload boxes with software. no worry about internet usage. no monthly costs. There is no recording but for rental being able to offer all uk main channels in hd should be enough
ajmandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajmandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2018 at 09:43
I think Pete is correct re i907 although nothing can be guaranteed to last! i907 has been claimed for years to be coming to its "end of life" although I have been told there are plans to "refuel" the satellite to extend this further. Equally there is nothing to say how long those channels will remain nor when the codes will next change (they haven't for years now). However in my experience it is the easiest to use for the average couch potatoe! ....if you have clear views to the south (27.5w), a 1m dish certainly works well and probably an 80cm will do....60cm may be pushing it!

Cubsur is correct....BBC iplayer is now not available through many VPN services....nothing to do with registration or logging in... they and other legitimate geolocked services have, for many months, been analysing traffic to identify heavy/unusual ip address use, which are likely to be those used by VPN servers, and blocking them......there are still a few that haven't been found or are better at playing the "cat and mouse" game. A VPN service which can offer you a dedicated UK ip address at extra cost may work. Most of the better known/popular/simpler VPN providers for catchup no longer work or wont for long!  

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2018 at 17:21
Originally posted by ajmandon ajmandon wrote:

Most of the better known/popular/simpler VPN providers for catchup no longer work or wont for long!  

Been using the same VPN for 7 or 8 years & never had a problem with it.
And there are plenty of others that have been around for years which are still going.

Saying that VPN's are being or will be blocked is a bit like saying that illegal football/sports streams are going to be blocked.
Year after year broadcasters have been saying this but still in 2018 you can watch just about anything you want every day of the week.
In fact the availability, reliability and quality of this stuff is better now than it's ever been.

I'll believe it when I see it

tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2018 at 20:35
Originally posted by wendyhsmith wendyhsmith wrote:

What are the current options for TV?  Needs to be reliable for rental property and easy to use.  House has cable coming in and decent MEO wifi.  Don't need 100's of channels but def the UK ones.

We have MEO with about 10 mb speed on average. We have mag box...all over ebay about £50. There is that many flogging full years subscriptions you can pick them up for less than £20 with all channels 3`0` clock kick offs red button films. Ours also has Portuguese German and other language channels. Buffers now and again but nothing major and never a problem with internet usage restriction used every day.
Less than a £100 a year..good value.
ajmandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajmandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2018 at 23:32
Congratulations Dicey! 7 or 8 years!..wow....so what!? as I said many legitimate geolocked services, like BBCiplayer, have RECENTLY started to identify vpn ip addresses and have started to block them....search google and you will find out! I KNOW of one that used to but doesn't work any longer and there are lists of many others that are reported as no longer working, or where many of their server ip addresses no longer work. 

If you have one that works, great but I wouldn't recommend buying a twelve month subscription!

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2018 at 08:37
FirstoneTV is still working reasonably well, decent picture, but they now require Adblocker to be disabled.

True you can usually find internet streams of just about anything, but you can't moan too much about getting something for nothing when one fails.

'Rampant piracy' is what the company who owns the rights to show Spanish football in UK called it. Apparently costing them a lot in lost business.

The game will continue as each side tries to outsmart the other. Maybe books will come back into fashion for these long dark winter evenings.
Albufeira Resident

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2018 at 14:38
Originally posted by ajmandon ajmandon wrote:

Congratulations Dicey! 7 or 8 years!..wow....so what!? as I said many legitimate geolocked services, like BBCiplayer, have RECENTLY started to identify vpn ip addresses and have started to block them....search google and you will find out! I KNOW of one that used to but doesn't work any longer and there are lists of many others that are reported as no longer working, or where many of their server ip addresses no longer work. 

If you have one that works, great but I wouldn't recommend buying a twelve month subscription!

I have done what you suggested and yes you are correct. Well, sort of.
You somehow failed to mention that there are ways round this so it is not all doom & gloom.
Perhaps you should read this - https://www.fastestvpnguide.com/workaround-for-bbc-iplayer-vpn-not-working/
wendyhsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyhsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2018 at 16:39
Originally posted by peteknopp peteknopp wrote:

get a satellite dish of about a meter in width - can easily find 2nd hand ones for 50 euros. Look online for a box that will allow you watch the intelsat 907. I got one for 40 quid off ebay. Phone Patric Molin to install the dish etc. bbc 1 and 2 + itv ' ch4 + ch5. very very reliable. not having to reload boxes with software. no worry about internet usage. no monthly costs. There is no recording but for rental being able to offer all uk main channels in hd should be enough

I've got a satellite dish back from the SKY days, pretty sure its 1m.  Can I run 2 boxes off it to be watched independently?
I'm not techy, can you give me an idea of what the intelsat907 compatible boxes are called?
Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic