Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Weather / O Clima
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

British Weather Today!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 237>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2017 at 16:25

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2017 at 17:49
“As usual, it appears that the whole Country has ground to a standstill because of a bit of snow.”

No Dicey, not the whole country, as you say, you have none, it’s predominately the Midlands and Wales from the News reports I’ve seen.
A “bit of snow”? I beg to differ, 8 inches and currently minus seven degrees with minus twelve forecast for the early hours. I’m quite happy with describing that as extreme and it doesn’t surprise me that it is causing massive disruption.
Andrew
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2017 at 19:53
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

I beg to differ, 8 inches and currently minus seven degrees with minus twelve forecast for the early hours. I’m quite happy with describing that as extreme

8 inches & minus 7 for a couple of days is hardly extreme or a reason for there to be any disruption in a modern society with all the tools necessary to deal with it.
You're just too young to remember 1963.
It was a lot colder than minus 7, we had 6ft of snow, rivers were frozen solid enough so you could drive a car on them and it all lasted lasted for 3 months.
We just got on with it and dealt with it.
I was 14 at the time. I went to school every day.
We have become a Country that cannot cope with slightly unusual weather conditions.
It rains almost non stop but as soon as we have 3 or 4 weeks of "drought" we have hose pipe bans, we get 2 days of temperatures in the 30's and the roads melt, railway lines buckle and people complain that it's too hot, and when we get a smattering of snow and a bit of a frost the transport system can't cope and millions of kids aren't allowed to go to school.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2017 at 19:58

cheekygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2017 at 03:26
I remember 1963 and trudging to school in snow that covered my wellies. My parents still went to work. And as far as I cam remember thing carried on as normal. No central heating and ice on the inside of the Window.
Loving it in the sun

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2017 at 09:04
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

I beg to differ, 8 inches and currently minus seven degrees with minus twelve forecast for the early hours. I’m quite happy with describing that as extreme

8 inches & minus 7 for a couple of days is hardly extreme or a reason for there to be any disruption in a modern society with all the tools necessary to deal with it.
You're just too young to remember 1963.
It was a lot colder than minus 7, we had 6ft of snow, rivers were frozen solid enough so you could drive a car on them and it all lasted lasted for 3 months.
We just got on with it and dealt with it.
I was 14 at the time. I went to school every day.
We have become a Country that cannot cope with slightly unusual weather conditions.
It rains almost non stop but as soon as we have 3 or 4 weeks of "drought" we have hose pipe bans, we get 2 days of temperatures in the 30's and the roads melt, railway lines buckle and people complain that it's too hot, and when we get a smattering of snow and a bit of a frost the transport system can't cope and millions of kids aren't allowed to go to school.

When I were a lad...

Trouble is people keep voting for governments that prefer to cut tax for rich people and corporations than invest in infrastructure.
Go away Duchatalet
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2017 at 10:43
Nothing to do with money.
We have more snow clearing equipment than ever before, bigger & better machines and technology including frost sensors on motorways.
According to a guy on the radio yesterday we have a huge stockpile of salt and grit where the M1 & M6 meet and there is more than ever at local Council depots.
All you need is someone with the brains to look at the weather forecast, use their common sense and get the stuff onto the roads at the right time.
Clearly this doesn't happen else we wouldn't be seeing the chaos that's been going over the last few days.
We had a sharpe frost here this morning, which was well forecasted, yet even our main A road, let alone any minor roads, hadn't been gritted when I went out at 6.45.
Then the powers that be tell you to only go out if your journey is absolutely necessary - presumably they thought that theirs wasn't.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2017 at 10:54
Much of northern Europe 'snowed in' as well, so it's not just the Brits who are being silly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42310933
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2017 at 19:25
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Nothing to do with money.
We have more snow clearing equipment than ever before, bigger & better machines and technology including frost sensors on motorways.
According to a guy on the radio yesterday we have a huge stockpile of salt and grit where the M1 & M6 meet and there is more than ever at local Council depots.
All you need is someone with the brains to look at the weather forecast, use their common sense and get the stuff onto the roads at the right time.
Clearly this doesn't happen else we wouldn't be seeing the chaos that's been going over the last few days.
We had a sharpe frost here this morning, which was well forecasted, yet even our main A road, let alone any minor roads, hadn't been gritted when I went out at 6.45.
Then the powers that be tell you to only go out if your journey is absolutely necessary - presumably they thought that theirs wasn't.

So the lack of investment is in people then. Money.

Brother-in-law is reporting over 1000 km of blocked roads in Belgium, so it isn't "only in Britain" as we tend to think.
Go away Duchatalet
cheekygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2017 at 11:37
Bit warmer today but not got light yet. Horrid drizzle. Supposed to be 10° here on Wednesday, but I would rather be in the Algarve. There 10° is nicer than Manchester.
Loving it in the sun

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/December/2017 at 16:21
Very nice but chilly day in N Norfolk.
The Boxing Day Dip at Cromer this morning - sea temperature 5.1c

Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/December/2017 at 10:23
We woke up yesterday morning to this beautiful sight. A white Christmas for us all at last.

Ally
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 08:25
Well, for those of you currently in the Algarve, the so called "Beast from the East" as the press have christened it has arrived. Woke up this morning to about 4" of snow and more falling at the moment.

Up here in the North East it will be at least -5 tonight but tomorrow and Thursday with the wind chill, it will feel considerably colder. We will also get storm Emma (named by the Portuguese weather service) from Thursday.

Really looking forward to our first visit of 2018 to Albufeira in 3 weeks time. Hopefully the weather there will be considerably warmer! 🏂
Colin
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 14:36
Eastbourne earlier, sent in  my a friend. Temperature -2'C

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/February/2018 at 15:41
Oh that wheelie bin wouldn't be emptied here. The lid must not be open more than 7" 😬.
Colin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 215216217218219 237>
  Share Topic