Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat about expats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What about expats
    Posted: 24/June/2016 at 09:10
What's the future for all you expats now.
Never put off something that you could do today
Sponsored Links

tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 09:12
Deportation.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 09:25
No different to an ex-pat in any other Country.
Get in there hopefully our Children and Grandchildren will not end up being a minority in their own Country and we can start using our taxes to put our own Country right.
Linda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 09:39
Smile 

Funny how Brits are always 'ex pats'  

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 14:53
To me the term ex pat sounds temporary, semi detached, don't speaka da lingo etc.  Resident says it better.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 18:05
We wait and see. Luckily for me my main pension fund lives in Ireland so is in euros, so I am not too vexed about exchange rates. I feel financially secure. If reciprocal health care and pension coverage is taken away as a result of whatever gets agreed in the divorce agreement, then that's a bigger problem for sure.

If the Portuguese government wishes to order out of the country 40,000 or more fairly well off people who run businesses, generate income for the country and pensioners who spend their money here in quantity, then so be it. I cannot imagine there's anything we can do. One would hope that in turn UK Government would then expel the 100,000 odd Portuguese who live in the UK. There go half the office cleaners in London for a start off.

Rather smacks of low level ethnic cleansing doesn't it?

No doubt local media will be full of rumour and speculation while the Portuguese government thinks about what to do.

Anyone thinking now about moving out here within the next two years would be advised to hold on until the picture becomes clearer.

Meanwhile, let's just get on with it and not worry about something we can't influence. More important matters will be taking place over the next few days.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 18:07
On a related issue, this could mean the end of third rate ex-pat Belgian footballers, managers and club owners being allowed to ply their trade in League 1 football. A definite plus.
Albufeira Resident

Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 18:30
Nothing will happen. You are most welcome in Portugal and will continue like that. The Portuguese prime minister said that the "alliance" between Portugal and the UK is going beyond the European Union.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 18:32
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

We wait and see. Luckily for me my main pension fund lives in Ireland so is in euros, so I am not too vexed about exchange rates. I feel financially secure. If reciprocal health care and pension coverage is taken away as a result of whatever gets agreed in the divorce agreement, then that's a bigger problem for sure.

If the Portuguese government wishes to order out of the country 40,000 or more fairly well off people who run businesses, generate income for the country and pensioners who spend their money here in quantity, then so be it. I cannot imagine there's anything we can do. One would hope that in turn UK Government would then expel the 100,000 odd Portuguese who live in the UK. There go half the office cleaners in London for a start off.

Rather smacks of low level ethnic cleansing doesn't it?

No doubt local media will be full of rumour and speculation while the Portuguese government thinks about what to do.

Anyone thinking now about moving out here within the next two years would be advised to hold on until the picture becomes clearer.

Meanwhile, let's just get on with it and not worry about something we can't influence. More important matters will be taking place over the next few days.

As usual Cubsur all very well made points. Portugal will not be in a hurry to ship anybody out who is filling the Government coffers. Likewise UK will not be rounding other EU citizens up just hopefully making it harder for...and I stress this... ECONOMIC migrants to enter the UK.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 20:18
Well this man is obviously switched on & knows UK citizens inside out LOL

The president of the Portuguese Hotels Association (AHP) has today said the UK’s decision to leave the EU will have no impact whatsoever on Portuguese tourism.
“Britons who are in favour of the exit don’t travel as they are so British that they don’t leave the UK, Raul Martins told Lusa"

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/portugal-hotel-chief-brexit-will-have-no-impact/38666
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 20:30
If I hear the phrase "we've got our country back once more I will scream.Wheres it been for gods sake?.They interviewed a lot of out voters in Middlesborough and most of them had not voted on anything for 20yrs or more .Enough said.
caz
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 21:14
Originally posted by carolenclive carolenclive wrote:

If I hear the phrase "we've got our country back once more I will scream.Wheres it been for gods sake?.They interviewed a lot of out voters in Middlesborough and most of them had not voted on anything for 20yrs or more .Enough said.

Just shows how strongly people felt about this referendum in the whole Country I believe it was one of the highest turnouts in recent history.
Oh if you are going to try to have a dig by using the people of Middlesbrough please have the grace to use the correct spelling and have the correct number of o`s in the name of the town.
As there was 40177 people voted out in the Middlesbrough seat there must have been a lot of interviewing done since last night if they had ascertained that most of them had not voted on anything for 20 years.
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/June/2016 at 22:54
Interesting how this topic brings out the troll in posters.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 05:26
Some interesting stuff about what might, or might not, happen when traveling to or living in an EU Country - passports, visas, driving licenses, health care, pensions, duty free allowances.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36619817
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 09:50
Yes, I will bet they didn't think about the 200 fags only rule coming back in! And no more trips to Frogland to stock up with vin rouge if you can only brign back four litres.

Some clown even said yesterday that the 16 million people who voted for exit (not that I agree with them) were the ones who don't travel. What a bizarre assertion.

The exit camp were, in my opinion, misled on the issue of immigration control. Are footballers, rugby players and cricketers not economic migrants, seeking to earn more in the EPL etc than they can in their own countries? Anyone going to ban them, even the superstars from Argentina, South Africa and Brazil, none of whom were in the EU last time I looked and appear to be able to enter UK to work at will?

So from the numbers and reasoning, it seems that many of those who have a Polish plumber, who know the nice Latvian girl who works in the local Greggs, appreciate the man and his family from Cyprus who run the local chip shop and are happy with the Romanian blokes in the barbers shop are also anti-European?

Baffling, innit?
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic