Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK TV SATELLITE ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 42>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 08:12
it could be the box ,the built in wifi not good enough.
i was trying a skybox f3 yesterday by wifi off my
phone and that could not connect
                                     check the dchp settings
and try on and off
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 09:10
Samwell thanks for getting back.
The box works fine at home but I use it with thernet cable not wireless.
Never thought to try it wireless at home to eliminate that problemEmbarrassed
We have everyhing else connected to hotspot/mifi whatever it`s called laptop ipad ipod and works fine..we did turn them all off while we tried to connect sat box.
I`ve tried the dchp settings on and off not that I know what it means I saw it suggested on the internet.
Thanks for your help much appreciated
kevjrobbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjrobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 11:05
Just wondering if, as we have on the apartment block, have a large satellite dish that we used to get all the channels. Get the dish be re-aligned to pick up any other free to air satellites. The dish is at least 160cm or even bigger as it's a communal dish for several English apartment owners.
Cheers Kev
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 11:25
"Get the dish be re-aligned to pick up any other free to air satellites"

It's what a lot of the bars have done. Suitably re-aligned it can pick up most BBC and ITV channels from the 'forces' satellite. Except I am told no ITV4.

Ia m sure someone where can recommend a suitable chap to take a look.

However the access codes are changed frequently and users have to recode their boxes every few days.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 11:53
Thanks Kev & Cubsur I am picking up satellite Ok it is just my set top box is not connecting to the internet so I can pick up the sky channels etc
Stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 12:37
Have you got DHCP On or enabled in your set top box? Doing so will make the hotspot allocate correct IP address etc.

Have you got your set top box manual with you as it gives clear instructions?
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 15:00
stevie I have tried with DHCP on and off.
On the network local setting shown on tv screen the ip address is showing as 192.168.000.002 but that is not the ip address I get when I connect my laptop/ipad/ipod to the hotspot/mifi should it be?
Thanks for info and manual
Stevie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 16:15
OK the settings you need are

1. Gateway ... this the ip address of the MI-fi unit say 192.168.000.001
2. IP address....this is the UNIQUE ip address your set top, ipad, ipod should have like 192.168.000.002, 003, 004 etc.
3. Subnet mask this is usually 255.255.255.000

If I were you I would look on something that is connecting (laptop) and compare/replicate/double check 1 and 3 settings above are the same on your set top box
2 above needs to be unique on each device on the network i.e. not being used by anything else on the network.

One thing you could try is to enter the numbers being used to successfully connect the laptop into your set top box and turn off DHCP
Turn off your laptop (and maybe everything else connected)
After saving these to your set top box turn it off
Turn off/reboot the mifi 
Then see if the set top box finds the wifi network and try to connect again

Or maybe got to Worten and buy an ethernet cable if the mi-fi has a connector Confused

tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2015 at 19:04
Tried all that Stevie I think it must be a problem with the LAN that plugs into set top box.
Of course a sane person would have tried that at home first.
Thanks everybody else also but I think I give in at least there`s filmon.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2015 at 12:57
Just a note to say that access to one of the Internet TV streaming sites mentioned a while back - IFeed2All - has now been blocked by ISPs here. No doubt others will follow.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2015 at 13:09
Think they've changed the name a bit
http://www.gofeed2all.eu/type/football.html
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Orada-man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orada-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2015 at 15:50
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

Just a note to say that access to one of the Internet TV streaming sites mentioned a while back - IFeed2All - has now been blocked by ISPs here. No doubt others will follow.

There was a lot of radio news on our last visit about the Portuguese moves to block access to download sites and it would follow that streaming sites may also be targeted.

alan&alice View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan&alice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2015 at 15:20
we are off out this week and seeing as we didnt do anything last year over the loss of our sky channels i'm taking out a chrome cast dongle to use in conjuction with my/our tablets or the old laptop we leave out there,i know it works through my tablet in the uk but i think i need an ip blocker ,my internet access comes from my portugese dongle,no speed problems or download limit (as far as i remember,) i normally use firefox as i dont like chrome or ie) ,there was an app or add on for fire fox (mediahint i think) but reading back through past posts  thats not available now,anyone know the latest app for that or should i just go for a total ip blocker?,
also is it worth while having our dish realigned to pick up freesat?,.
any inf gratefully recieved.
alan.  :-)

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/albufeira/481652
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2015 at 15:46
Media Hint for Firefox is still available.
https://mediahint.com/
https://mediahint.com/support/setup/firefox
You have to pay for it now but it's only $3.95 (£2.60) a month and you can buy it for a month at a time rather than a whole year - works well for us as we only need it when we're over.
There is no long term contract.
You can pay via PayPal.
We used it for a month in Jan/Feb & it worked absolutely fine so we will be using it again when we come over next Saturday.
It installs very quickly and once that's done there's nothing else to do.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
marfrei View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marfrei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/August/2015 at 06:41
Hey guys i have  a skybox thats picks up all coded channel for free anybody need  one gte back to me for price marfrei@mail.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 42>
  Share Topic