Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

UK TV SATELLITE ISSUES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 42>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjrobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2012 at 16:22
3-0 did you say
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2012 at 23:35
 mmmmmmmmm will the BBC take this publicity seriously
http://theportugalnews.com/news/comment-bbc-why-dont-you-tell-us-if-we-are-going-to-be-cut-off/27332
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 08:10
It might be better if the Portugal News concentrated on getting their facts right first - you cannot get Freeview outside of the UK.

More here - http://theportugalnews.com/news/expat-concern-over-loss-of-uk-satellite-tv/27331
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 09:39
Blimey, a useful article in the PN! Makes a change from an endless stream of meaningless statistics and reporting official statements without questioning the BS contained therein, even if they have mixed up their freesat with their free view.

The comment from the chap in Porto on the "ex-pat concerns..." article sums up the attitude of the rest of Portugal to the Algarve, cheap point scoring over ex-pats while ignoring the huge amount of income we provide, and taking no account of how lack of UK TV will impact the tourist industry.

*Edit* I have posted my tuppence worth in response to his comments.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 10:59
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

mmmmmmmmm will the BBC take this publicity seriously
http://theportugalnews.com/news/comment-bbc-why-dont-you-tell-us-if-we-are-going-to-be-cut-off/27332

There is no 'tell us if we are going to be cut off' argument relating to the reception of UK channels overseas.

BBC (especially), ITV etc have no remit to provide TV services outside of the UK. The fact that you can get them via satellite in Portugal and elsewhere for the last 20 years or so, with a small dish, is purely good fortune. Now they are moving to a new satellite, to improve service to the people who pay for it.

Your BBC TV here is free. Ex-pats pay no TV licence fee to UK authorities, which is the equivalent of about £3 a week. It would probably be illegal for the BBC to become a subscription service.

And it's been mentioned elsewhere, BBC and ITV make shedloads of money selling their programmes to foreign TV companies for re-broadcast.  A market that would be lost if they were to overtly broadcast overseas. There are copyright issues also.

If you have decent internet connection (I don't) and a bit of know how you can receive TV streams from almost anywhere.

(Is there a counter argument with foreigners living in the UK demanding that their domestic TV channels are available to them?)
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 11:51
Plenty of Asian channels on UK satellite TV, so I guess there is Tom. As you say the BBC is payed for by licence payers so the argument is a valid one, and the Beeb have no reason why they should tell us what is going to happen. However it is in Sky's interest to do so as they will be the losers if no one outside the UK can receive a signal. It is worth noting that the BBC have no problem with viewers in Holland watching their broadcasts for free.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 12:25
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

There are copyright issues also.

The writing is on the wall - if BBC/ITV/C4 won't allow access to their respective iplayers in foreign countries, then it follows that sooner or later they won't allow access to their full TV schedules. They can't have one rule for the internet and another rule for satellite.

If you have decent internet connection (I don't) and a bit of know how you can receive TV streams from almost anywhere.

http://www.filmon.com/

Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

taking no account of how lack of UK TV will impact the tourist industry.

I don't think that the vast majority of tourists go on holiday to watch TV and the availability of UK TV is certainly not a main consideration when choosing a destination and/or resort. Lot's of other things come first.

Sure, it's probably a nice to have extra but in the overall scheme of things, for your average holidaymaker, it's not a must have.

And if all the major European sun & sea destinations no longer have UK TV, then Portugal & The Algarve will not be at a disadvantage.

Another report here -
http://www.algarveresident.com/0-50236/algarve/no-more-british-tv
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Bedlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 14:51
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

I don't think that the vast majority of tourists go on holiday to watch TV and the availability of UK TV is certainly not a main consideration when choosing a destination and/or resort. Lot's of other things come first.

Sure, it's probably a nice to have extra but in the overall scheme of things, for your average holidaymaker, it's not a must have.

And if all the major European sun & sea destinations no longer have UK TV, then Portugal & The Algarve will not be at a disadvantage.

But wherever a tourist chooses their demand to view sport will always be there - that's why the majority of bars fall over themselves advertising major sport showing in their bar!

I can only assume you were not around in Albufeira Old Town during the Euro 2012 and Olympics events - for instance the night Spain won the Euro 2012 final - I am afraid had you been there it would tend to blow your view clean out of the water
(Tried to post a video here but can't - adding hyperlinks is not working either)
Avril View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 15:17
It's a fact that many brits do indeed want UK telly when they go away. We were repeatedly asked if we had sky at the apartment during the years we rented out and did actually have one family not book because we didnt! 
Consistently inconsistent, Esse sou eu!
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 17:43
Originally posted by Avril Avril wrote:

It's a fact that many brits do indeed want UK telly when they go away. We were repeatedly asked if we had sky at the apartment during the years we rented out and did actually have one family not book because we didnt! 

Still, if you've only had one family refuse then that's not so bad.

I can understand people watching a bit of UK TV while they're away, if it happens to be there, but only booking holidays in specific destinations that have UK TV, and avoiding others that don't, is pretty staggering. 

As far as major sports events are concerned then you would have been hard pushed to find anywhere in the World that didn't have Euro 2012 or the Olympics on, as some people who were trying to avoid watching these events found out.

Bedlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 17:56

Originally posted by Avril Avril wrote:

Still, if you've only had one family refuse then that's not so bad.

I can understand people watching a bit of UK TV while they're away, if it happens to be there, but only booking holidays in specific destinations that have UK TV, and avoiding others that don't, is pretty staggering. 

As far as major sports events are concerned then you would have been hard pushed to find anywhere in the World that didn't have Euro 2012 or the Olympics on, as some people who were trying to avoid watching these events found out.

And in the future hard pushed to find a bar showing say England or any other team on a night Portugal were playing - such as the international breaks featuring numerous friendly matches.

I quite enjoyed the night England played Sweden - Germany played Holland - Italy played France watching all 3 in the Classic Bar - Old Town

Also - for reasons beyond me - I have witnessed tourists glued to the box in various bars watching X Factor!!!!

Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 20:48

There are copyright issues also.

The writing is on the wall - if BBC/ITV/C4 won't allow access to their respective iplayers in foreign countries, then it follows that sooner or later they won't allow access to their full TV schedules. They can't have one rule for the internet and another rule for satellite.

http://www.filmon.com/

Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

taking no account of how lack of UK TV will impact the tourist industry.

I
don't think that the vast majority of tourists go on holiday to watch
TV and the availability of UK TV is certainly not a main consideration
when choosing a destination and/or resort. Lot's of other things come first.

Sure, it's probably a
nice to have extra but in the overall scheme of things, for your average holidaymaker, it's not a must have.

And if
all the major European sun & sea destinations no longer have UK TV,
then Portugal & The Algarve will not be at a disadvantage.

Another report here -
http://www.algarveresident.com/0-50236/algarve/no-more-british-tv

David, with all due respect, what you are doing is what we all do to a lesser or greater extent, assuming everyone is like you, and they ain't my friend. As Avril and Ian (Bedlam) have also said, to a number of people UK TV is very important, and will make a difference as to where they go on holiday. Whether you and I think that is sad or not is neither here nor there, the fact is that Albufeira cannot afford to lose one solitary tourist at he moment, and anything that impacts that is a problem. Especially to those of us who are trying to make a living here, rather than just popping over for a holiday every now and then.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 22:12
well said Perry. Majority of tourist that spend money are the Brits & the Irish. I think it will have a great impact on tourists in their holiday apartment/villa, especially when they have young kiddies to keep amused UK TV it  is a saviour. Folks  enjoying going out to a bar for the afternoon wanting to watch sports/footie  and can watch virtually any match or sport .
Personally I don't watch any TV in the summer at my place when the sun is guaranteed  to shine but I do in the winter season months when it can be drab, rainy & cold & lets not forget we do get tourist spending long winter months on the Algarve, but will they come back when they find they can't get UK TV. Outlook isn't good at the moment.The times they are a changing Unhappy

J2me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 22:52
I suppose CNBC, AlJaz, CBS, Bloomberg and a whole bucket load of others should be confined to their own countries of origin too!!!!!!!

Not a chance.

Commercial interests are behind all this and viable solutions will be found.

I won't start looking for my compass quite yet........
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/December/2012 at 22:55
well hope so John, maybe we are reading too much into it at the mo, we will see, fingers crossed.But I for one will not be paying the price of a 3 metre dish if needed, very very expensive indeed.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 42>
  Share Topic