FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBEACH ENLARGMENT PROJECT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BEACH ENLARGMENT PROJECT
    Posted: 21/March/2011 at 17:48
Is under way. A big dredger thing is coming up to the shore every so often and pumps sand onto the beach area through those pipes. Good day to start, spring tides and all that but I and others know what they are doing.

The project is supposed to increased the width of the beach by 50 metres all the way along, partly so that more tourists can sit on it and partly to try to keep the sea from battering the cliffs. It's due to be finished by 24th June. Each bit of the beach will progressively be treated and will be closed for the duration of work. Here's a picture. More later.

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

cheekygirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2011 at 18:53
 Tom, is there a time table to which beach is going to be closed at what time? Cry
Loving it in the sun

janet View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2011 at 18:55
oh dear..when i first read the heading for this post i thought it said Breast Enlargement Project..EmbarrassedShocked
owners direct p5473
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2011 at 20:20
Originally posted by cheekygirl cheekygirl wrote:

Tom, is there a time table to which beach is going to be closed at what time? Cry

I was told that the bit they are working on now will be finished 'by the end of the month' then it gradually moves east to be finished by 24th June, in time for the main holiday season.

But those of us who live here know full well that these timetables are fiction.

I shall be following this with interest.

I will try to get down to the beach and get some closer shots later this week. You can see that the tide was very high, the sea was quite rough and I didn't fancy a salty camera.
Albufeira Resident

bob d View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2011 at 20:38
Originally posted by janet janet wrote:

oh dear..when i first read the heading for this post i thought it said Breast Enlargement Project..EmbarrassedShocked
Yeah, like you would need it Janet
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2011 at 21:19
 I might be being selfish, but I am comiing to Albufeira in May and will have two more groups of visitors before the end of June all of us just love the beach near our apartment at Forte Sao Joao, so I hope the timetable is slow. I personally I am happy with the beach as it is. How does everyone else on the forum feel. Thumbs%20Down 
Loving it in the sun

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2011 at 17:41
One of the purposes of the project is to try to prevent erosion of the cliffs. Any more cliff falls (remember that five  people were killed here last year) and the tourist industry will surely suffer. And if the erosion is not checked parts of Albufeira will start falling into the sea. I have already seen this year the effects of a large fall cat Carvoeiro and another near Lagos.

The project is costing 3.18 million, of which Albufeira is paying 2.2 million. Only a small part of the beach is affected at any one time. This section will take about a week more. So they say, we shall see. Overall, as I said, the project is due to finish on 24th June.

Anyway, I got a good view of things today so here are some pictures. You can plainly see the effect of the sand being grafted onto the beach. This is between the Sol e Mar and the pinnacle. You can also see why. It's not a very high tide and not particularly rough, but the sea is almost up to the top of the existing beach.

And it is undermining the cliffs further along

So, this dredger goes off out to sea a couple of miles, scoops up loads of sand, comes back inshore and anchors three hundred yards or so off the beach.

It then  hooks up to the end of a big pipe that was laid previously.You can see it at the bow. A pump starts up and a minute or two later out of the other end gushes a mixture of sand and water. It's all very clever. Once finished, off it goes again and the whole process is repeated.

That is your lesson in coastal engineering for today. I shall report back on progress over the next few weeks.

BTW in case you were wondering, the lift is still closed as the waves are crashing over the pathway at the bottom. It will stay closed until probably Easter if not later.

Albufeira Resident

JulieC View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2011 at 20:28
I think it's good that they are doing this.  Apart from the obvious reasons, the beach has definitely gone less and each time we visit we comment on how far the tide seems to be coming in, with as you say very little beach in some parts.
julie
Walrus View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/March/2011 at 23:17
Blimey!!! That last picture is incredible, I had to look twice before I fully realised where it was Surprised
Do not meddle in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will pee on your computer!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2011 at 00:02
 Thanks for the info Tom. It makes sense now. Thought it was just a tourist thing to get more sunbeds on the beach. Thumbs%20UpSmileClap
Loving it in the sun

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2011 at 00:24
Originally posted by cheekygirl cheekygirl wrote:

Thanks for the info Tom. It makes sense now. Thought it was just a tourist thing to get more sunbeds on the beach. Thumbs%20UpSmileClap

Well obviously that's the other reason!
Little do they know that everyone seems to be happy sitting on a sunbed by a hotel swimming pool. Nasty rough stuff, that sea.

Albufeira Resident

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2011 at 10:41
 Been taken out a few times myself by those waves, only go in for a paddle now, but part of the pleasure of sitting on the beach is watching people being knocked over. That's my sadistic streak.whew
Loving it in the sun

kevjrobbo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2011 at 19:10
have we had anymore news on the repair of the pier ?
ps cheekygirl we like the beach at forte as little lad loves crabbing in the rocks to the left. we also have apartment near by just passed the elma .
A9NDY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2011 at 19:56
after many visits we have noticed the beach seems to be shrinking !!!
not anymore by the look of things ! so no doubt you'll get more tourists on the beach and not by the swimming pool at their hotels .
all the bech needs now is the pier reparing and the beach will look great

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/March/2011 at 21:44
Originally posted by kevjrobbo kevjrobbo wrote:

have we had anymore news on the repair of the pier ?
ps cheekygirl we like the beach at forte as little lad loves crabbing in the rocks to the left. we also have apartment near by just passed the elma .
Very near us then, our apartment is opposite the Panacee restaurant. Might bump into you.
Loving it in the sun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic