Topic ClosedTEMPORARY REINSSTATEMENT OF BORDER CONTROLS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: TEMPORARY REINSSTATEMENT OF BORDER CONTROLS
    Posted: 27/April/2017 at 12:56
Announed by Government

"The temporary reintroduction of border control at the Portuguese borders during the visit of His Holiness Pope Francis between 00:00 hours on May 10, 2017 and 00:00 hours on May 14, 2017, at the air, sea and land borders. All citizens who travel in or out of Portugal by Air: Airports / Aerodromes; Sea: Ports / Marinas or Land: Roads - Rail / Rivers must hold a valid travel document, namely, passport or citizen's card, at the border control carried out by SEF, the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service."

This specifically includes the bridge and ferry betwen Algarve and Spain. 

But you all knew that carrying photo ID here was a legal requirement, didn't you?
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 13:16
I was on a service bus from Faro to Albufeira last year which was stopped bt GNR. They put a sniffer dog on and asked for ID. I offered them a photocopy of my passport's photo page but they rejected that in favour of my EHIC health card, which has no photo. Strange.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 15:06
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

But you all knew that carrying photo ID here was a legal requirement, didn't you?

No.
I obviously have Passport & Driving Licence but her indoors only has a Passport and that stays, with mine, in the suitcase until we go home.
I only take my wallet (which contains my Driving Licence) with me if I know I'm going to need it (e.g. credit card/shopping) but most of the time I'll leave that at home and just take cash in my pocket.
Are we really expected to cart everything around 24/7?
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Richardk View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 15:29
I carry a photocopy of my passport (copy certified by my solicitor)
Never been stopped (fingers crossed) but told would be ok. At least I can leave the original passport in the safe rather than carry in the car/pocket
Chloe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 16:16
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

No.
I obviously have Passport & Driving Licence but her indoors only has a Passport and that stays, with mine, in the suitcase until we go home.
I only take my wallet (which contains my Driving Licence) with me if I know I'm going to need it (e.g. credit card/shopping) but most of the time I'll leave that at home and just take cash in my pocket.

Simple answer, yes you are. You are required by law to carry your driving licence with you ( in fact you are supposed to carry it with you in the UK but police there turn a blind eye). You should carry some form of identification in the form of national identity card ( applicable if you aare Portuguese) or your passport. Ignorance is no defence for not carrying these items nor is the fact that you obviously don't want to. Perhaps a hefty fine would be acceptable as that is what you stand to get if you cannot produce the documents required by the authorities.
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 16:53
Chloe, you do not need to carry a UK driving licence with you when in the UK.

If stopped, you have 7 days to produce it, if required.

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 19:30
Originally posted by Chloe Chloe wrote:

Simple answer, yes you are. You are required by law to carry your driving licence with you ( in fact you are supposed to carry it with you in the UK but police there turn a blind eye). You should carry some form of identification in the form of national identity card ( applicable if you aare Portuguese) or your passport. Ignorance is no defence for not carrying these items nor is the fact that you obviously don't want to. Perhaps a hefty fine would be acceptable as that is what you stand to get if you cannot produce the documents required by the authorities.

So how could my wife "carry her driving licence with her" when she doesn't have one?
I assume you only need to carry your driving licence when you're actually driving?
Where are you supposed to keep your passport when you go to the beach in nothing more than trunks & a t-shirt?
Surely there must be some leeway in the law somewhere because I'm pretty certain that the vast majority of Portuguese people do not pop out the the shop, with a Euro in their hand to buy a litre of milk, and immediately think that they must take some form of identification with them.
Furthermore the vast majority of holiday makers will leave all their valuables, including passport in the safety deposit box in their hotel rooms.
And I'm sure the Pope won't have anything with him either Wink
Would be interested to know how many law abiding people have been fined in the last 12 months simply for not having appropriate identification with them 24/7 - is there a freedom of information facility in Portugal?

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 20:33
My understanding as an expat or tourist, being English, is.. if I'm driving I must have my driving licence with me, if I'm in Portugal, anywhere, anytime, I need Nationally accepted ID. As in the U.K. we don't have ID cards that leaves Passport, so yes, as I can be challenged by Authorities in Portugal literally anywhere, I do need my Passport on me, all times, and driving licence if I'm driving.
I think this is why some have sought alternatives, like Richard's Solicitor certified photocopy of his photo page of his passport.
I have heard horror stories of people being carted off, almost certainly ignorant of the laws, who haven't had the required documentation on them, and not just motoring, but in visits to bars and stop checks at random on the street.
On this understanding, we have driving licence and passports with us 100% of the time we are in PT.

Andrew
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 21:04
Adding to the above, I was once eating outside at FC Guia bar in, not surprisingly, Guia. There were about 8 or 9 cars parked in a row, half on pavement, half on road, and Plod arrived. They walked up and down and ticketed one car only, surprisingly (not) this was the only one with UK plates, the rest were ignored despite being guilty of the same parking infringement.
When the female UK owner/driver returned it quickly escalated as she didn't have her driving licence or passport on her, she'd popped out for a paper and milk, and she was 'placed', with her arm up her back, into plods car, even being threatened with handcuffs when she tried to protest. Twenty minutes after that a recovery vehicle arrived and her car was craned onto the flatbed and also carted off.
Consequently, I always have my paperwork on me, and I don't park half on the pavement, and I wont entertain a UK plated vehicle... it isn't worth risking engaging with authority I don't understand the rules with, they move the goalposts and pick the touch lines!!!
Andrew
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 22:06
I always have my UK driving licence with me (it's in my wallet). I take my passport whenever driving in Portugal (advice originally received from the hire company) together with the hire documents.

However I don't carry my passport at any other time as I didn't know it was a requirement.
Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 22:49
I've always known that ID is should be carried but can't be bothered. I don't drive & it's such a hassle if you lose your passport. It wasn't a problem last year when GNR spot checked the bus I was on.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2017 at 10:43
Like me, I have lived here 11 years and have never once been asked to show ID. I have a photocopy of my passport page in a plastic holder, in my wallet, just in case. I NEVER carry the original except when flying.

It is a simple and inescapable fact that the law here requires adults to carry ID. This is not the UK, where there no such law.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2017 at 17:59
Originally posted by Chloe Chloe wrote:

Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

No.

Jesus Chloe wind your neck in...what a load of rubbish have to carry your driving  licence in UK.
As for hefty fine if it was that hefty GNR would be trawling up and down let`s say the strip. How many people down there do you think will have ID...about 1% if you are lucky.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2017 at 19:27
^ this
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/April/2017 at 09:56
The facts, annoying as they are, are that it is a legal requirement to carry ID, people have been nicked for it, though it's rare. I carry all the necessary paperwork in my car, I don't bother when on foot, I know I am risking a fine, but if you keep you nose clean it's highly unlikely.

The choice is yours, but no-one is above the law, even those who think they are perfect.    
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic