Print Page | Close Window

Excessive noise

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
Forum Description: Topic area unrelated to Albufeira / Área de Tópicos não relacionados com Albufeira
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9766
Printed Date: 29/April/2024 at 11:17
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Excessive noise
Posted By: Phil.
Subject: Excessive noise
Date Posted: 21/March/2017 at 16:41
I own an apartment in a private apartment block. A resident in another apartment is running a business during the day which is some kind of metal work.This results in loud hammering and the drilling, grinding and cutting of metal using electrical power tools.The noise can be heard throughout the complex.
I have complained to the Property Management company about a week ago but the situation has not changed.
There is no way that anyone in the complex could sell their property due to the noise level and I don't want to sell mine as,apart from this problem, I am very happy here.
Any advice would be appreciated.

-------------
Phil.

Replies:
Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 21/March/2017 at 17:09
Chase up the property management company, and tell them you expect a response within a week or you will go to the police. Make sure you put it in writing, send it by registered post if necessary. Then if they don't respond, complain to the GNR.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 21/March/2017 at 19:36
Thanks A A,I will do that.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: Chloe
Date Posted: 22/March/2017 at 13:29
Is there a condominium within the complex? If so you could try complaining to them. Surely there is some law about running a business from a private dwelling? and particularly something like this. As AA says, involve the GNR. That could well have the desired effect.

-------------
Sure I can help you out. Which way did you come in.

Date Posted: 22/March/2017 at 15:14
I was assuming the management company ran the condominium Chloe, as they often do.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 23/March/2017 at 22:31
Yes A A, the management company run the condominium,in the near future, we will be informed of the charges for the current year, that will be an interesting meeting! I ,surely, cannot be the only resident to have complained about the excessive noise and the two owners of the apartments that are for sale,must have a vested interest in stopping the aforesaid. I am going to bring this matter to the attention of the estate agents involved as I am sure that they would want this resolved. A couple of extra irons in the fire can't hurt.

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 24/March/2017 at 08:42
Sounds exactly the way to proceed to me Phil. Good luck - let us know how you get on please?  

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 24/March/2017 at 16:54
I left my apartment at 10.50 this morning and prior to that,no noise.Most Unusual as hammering normally commenced around 09.05.I returned around 16.10,again,no noise.At this time, every afternoon, power tools have been used to cut and grind metal.Has the problem been solved,I wonder,or is that too much to hope for? Tomorrow will prove it,one way or another, as the only respite has been on Sundays.
I will keep everyone informed. I am sure many people have been following these events as,ultimately, this could affect aanyone who suffers from excessive noise.
I would like to thank A A and Chloe for their input and concern over my situation.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 24/March/2017 at 19:09
Originally posted by Phil. Phil. wrote:

I left my apartment at 10.50 this morning and prior to that,no noise.Most Unusual as hammering normally commenced around 09.05.I returned around 16.10,again,no noise.At this time, every afternoon, power tools have been used to cut and grind metal.Has the problem been solved,I wonder,or is that too much to hope for? Tomorrow will prove it,one way or another, as the only respite has been on Sundays.
I will keep everyone informed. I am sure many people have been following these events as,ultimately, this could affect aanyone who suffers from excessive noise.
I would like to thank A A and Chloe for their input and concern over my situation.

Good luck mate hope it is sorted for youThumbs Up. Nothing worse than thoughtless people who don`t give a damn about everybody else with their noise...yapping dogs come to mind. 

Date Posted: 24/March/2017 at 22:52
God,I too hope that it's sorted, yapping dogs are often a cause of complaint but,fortunately, not one that affects me . However, anyone affected has my heartfelt sympathy.

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 25/March/2017 at 17:11
I have been in my apartment all day,no noise until 13.45 when there were four strikes with a hammer.My heart dropped but that was it,nothing more. Was this a last gesture of defiance? Maybe, I have to wait and see what Monday brings.I must say that,comparitively speaking, it has been like paradise without the hammering and the cutting, drilling and grinding with power tools. Fingers crossed!

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 25/March/2017 at 18:28
Perhaps the hammer strokes were the final breakthrough of the tunnel to the bank next door 😂😂

Fingers crossed

-------------
Colin

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 26/March/2017 at 10:29
Probably burying 'erindoors in a false wall.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Date Posted: 26/March/2017 at 11:43
Thanks Jock and Big Col,after the past few months,I can use all the humour I can get!
A 90 years old man wanted to buy antidepressants in the Chemists. The Pharmacist told him that he couldn't sell them to him as a photo of his 87 year old wife and a marriage certificate were not sufficient!

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 02/April/2017 at 11:30
Have had friends staying with me for a week.He is a tiler and says that the cutting with an angle grinder is the smell noise as when he cuts tiles.He also saw the person concerned carrying extra large tiles up to his apartment, we conclude that he has cleared his old tiles throughout (accounts for the banging noise )accounts nd is in the process of re - tiling. What we can't understand is why it has taken months,my mate says that he could do the lot in a fortnight!
As it appears to be a non commercial operation, I will just have to put up with the situation and hope that it is nearly finished.

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 02/April/2017 at 11:32
Should be SAME noise,of course.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 02/April/2017 at 13:09
Originally posted by Phil. Phil. wrote:

,my mate says that he could do the lot in a fortnight!

Welcome to Portugal

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Date Posted: 14/April/2017 at 09:37
Happy to report that peace and quiet appears to have been restored. I enlisted the assistance of the management company and the manager spoke to the person responsible for the excessive noise. He apologised for making the noise but said that it was work that had to be done. Over the past week, the reduction in his activity has been considerable so I am much relieved and happier. [:)]

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 14/April/2017 at 10:47
At least one of my new upstairs neighbours came to tell me that they would be working noisily. The others didn't. On Wednesday it was jack hammers and sledgehammers from 9am to 430pm, I had to go out. This had been on and off for 2 weeks but never as bad as that.

On other occasions they have been banging and crashing until 8pm, but the woman next door went and shouted at them. The condominium confirmed there are no set rules for us, something we shall add next AGM!

They are not working today, it being a holdiay.

A good job I don't work nights. Selfish, thoughtless, etc etc.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 14/April/2017 at 11:20
Our Condominium rules are that there should be no noise from working before 8am and  after 6pm (Mon to Fri), after 1pm (Saturday) and no noise from working at all on Sunday.
It's adhered to pretty much to the letter by everyone.
We've had a particularly noisy bar on the ground floor for the last 3 years which was open until 3am. This annoyed a lot of owners who brought it to the attention of the Condominium.
The owner, who also ran it, was then told by the Condominium that he could not go on beyond midnight. He has since rented it out to 2 Russian women who have changed it into a snack bar which will be closing at 10pm.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Posted By: peteknopp
Date Posted: 14/April/2017 at 13:33
Dicey, if it gets noisy again, the camara will work with you and the bar and the bar will most likely need a noise limiter like many bars have in the busy area - these cut the music out if it peaks too high at whatever time is decided that it should be quieter.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk