Print Page | Close Window

BREXIT –STRAWS IN THE WIND

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
Forum Description: Topic area unrelated to Albufeira / Área de Tópicos não relacionados com Albufeira
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9496
Printed Date: 28/April/2024 at 17:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: BREXIT –STRAWS IN THE WIND
Posted By: Analogue.man.in.a.di
Subject: BREXIT –STRAWS IN THE WIND
Date Posted: 12/July/2016 at 07:55

Apparently these are the first ideas from the new UK Brexit Management Govt Dept. impacting ex-pats.

State pensions

Current reciprocal payment arrangements for ex-pats to end. Inflation indexing to end with payment levels frozen like those to non EU nations – Canada, Australia, etc. Payments made after deduction of a Govt. levy/charge for administration. Maybe private pension payments also subjected to the levy.

Driving licences

Current reciprocal arrangements to end, leading to insurance changes.

Insurance

Current arrangements to end. So, for motoring, this seems to imply that ex-pats would have to immediately apply for a Portuguese licence via test, to then obtain local motoring cover. This could be rather expensive.

For property and similar cover, companies that use the UK insurance market to levy a Govt. ex-pat surcharge.

Passports/ freedom of movement

Existing EU (UK state member) passports replaced on their expiry with a traditional British Passport, BUT only for bona-fide entitled holders – won’t that be fun!!!. For ex-pats, these to be obtained only via a personal UK appointment for registration under a new ex-pat category - to flag up non UK residency. New ‘domestic visa’ restrictions on ex-pats limiting return visits to the UK for a set timescale (? 30/60 days per annum) to stop medical tourism on the NHS or similar services via accommodation addresses.

Benefits

Current arrangements to end with the new passport category used to identify those living abroad and claiming UK benefits via tame family ‘ghosts’ in the UK. (Thought they already did that?)

Taxation & Property

Current arrangements to end. New HMRC regime to enforce a double-taxation regime on ex-pat property owners using current arrangement to avoid tax and keep undeclared income renting out properties, including ‘source-tracing’ to identify the original source of money used for property purchases against UK tax payment history. One source tells me that this side of things is based on the fact that as Portugal is one of the most exposed - if the suspected Eurozone disintegration occurs, then any money hidden away under nom-de-plume names in Portuguese banks, or under the mattress, might be wiped out or rendered worthless overnight.

So, subject to any “counter-measures” to be announced by Portugal against UK ex-pats who, in the main, are considered to make little or no local contribution to their lifestyles, it may be time to start dusting off the suitcases & packing up the tea-chests for a quick sale folks.

These early straws-in-the-wind reminded me of something. Those of us who

are of 'a certain age' will recall what happened to those Brits who stayed on in Rhodesia after it went UDI in the 1960’s. I recall newspaper stories of people being barred from re-entering or returning home penniless – in short being regarded as lepers. It might be worth doing a little bit of on-line research here as there appears to be a parallel.

Cry Cry Cry

-------------
Thanks
Analogue.man.in.a.digital.age

Replies:
Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 12/July/2016 at 08:30
Source? Or just guesswork. But nothing I would not expect to be on the table, as much of this applies to those ex-pats resident in say Canada or Australia especially the pensions part.

Not to mention full customs restrictions eg only 200 fags back into UK.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 12/July/2016 at 08:48
The what?...UK Brexit Management Govt. Dept.....We haven`t even got a working Government at the minute.
Nothing but scaremongering and rumour.
The way things are panning out there will not even be a Brexit.

Date Posted: 13/July/2016 at 13:25
Source, Cubsur, a trustworthy source.

Watch awhile & the ‘independent’ BBC (which we pay for) will start dribbling them out..

-------------
Thanks

Posted By: vinnym
Date Posted: 13/July/2016 at 13:34
How can you describe any politician or associate as trustworthy these days

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 13/July/2016 at 14:05
. "New HMRC regime to enforce a double-taxation regime on ex-pat property owners"

There is already double taxation for property owners. I know that for a fact, I pay it.

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Date Posted: 13/July/2016 at 19:05
Originally posted by vinnym vinnym wrote:

Absolutely. 99% are out for nothing more than to feather their own nests and further their own causes.
That`s from local Government to the top. Seen it all in action in our local Council. Keep your gob shut and say nout and you can be Mayor next year for instance.
We are only pawns who exist to pay the expenses.

Posted By: tiganut
Date Posted: 14/July/2016 at 07:09
Originally posted by vinnym vinnym wrote:

When they are deceased.
It is easy to tell when a politician is telling lies,their lips are moving.

-------------
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 14/July/2016 at 10:59
Politicians are a fine upstanding body of men & women.  They kiss babies so they must be OK.

Posted By: Phil.
Date Posted: 14/July/2016 at 12:37
Hi,could you please furnish me with the source of your post?Seems rather alarmist to me.Also,if you are already registered with the Social Security, Tax Office and Local Municipal Offices in Portugal, if the UK government wanted to change the rules,surely it would only apply to newcomers. Otherwise, it would be retrospective legislation and, as such,totally unfair.

Date Posted: 14/July/2016 at 20:03
The lack of an answer from Analogue. man speaks volumes. Sounded like a still festering Remain supporter.
The only way forward is for everyone to pull together and prove that we can make an independent Britain, great once more.

Date Posted: 14/July/2016 at 21:04
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Politicians are a fine upstanding body of men & women.  They kiss babies so they must be OK.
Are you sure they are kissing them?They might just be tasting them.

-------------

Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 12:11
I, like most Scots & Northern Irish who voted, was a remain supporter and am heart-sick. However, the decision has been made.  We must get the best deal we can for the UK and put differences behind us.  No point in festering.

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 14:44
Originally posted by Phil. Phil. wrote:

Hi,could you please furnish me with the source of your post?Seems rather alarmist to me.Also,if you are already registered with the Social Security, Tax Office and Local Municipal Offices in Portugal, if the UK government wanted to change the rules,surely it would only apply to newcomers. Otherwise, it would be retrospective legislation and, as such,totally unfair.

Not lived here long have you Phil?

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 17:58

I, like most Scots & Northern Irish who voted, was a remain supporter and am heart-sick. However, the decision has been made.  We must get the best deal we can for the UK and put differences behind us.  No point in festering.

It was a UK referendum so how Scots, NI, London or anywhere else voted is irrelevant. You simply cannot have seperate areas of the UK saying that because they voted in, and lost,  they now want to be treated differently. It was always a case of we were either going to be all in or all out - end of.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 18:16
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

It was a UK referendum so how Scots, NI, London or anywhere else voted is irrelevant. You simply cannot have seperate areas of the UK saying that because they voted in, and lost,  they now want to be treated differently. It was always a case of we were either going to be all in or all out - end of.

Except when Farage said a 52 - 48 split for "in" would be "unfinished business".

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: carolenclive
Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 18:42
Correct PerryClap

-------------
caz

Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 19:42
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

Except when Farage said a 52 - 48 split for "in" would be "unfinished business".

Maybe Nicola Sturgeon will get her way and get another Scotland leave UK referendum as she does not want to leave EU. Perhaps all the UK could vote on that one and Scotland may get the result they want?
Of course if they did get the result there is nothing to say they would be accepted into the EU.

Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 20:13
I doubt if the EU will want, or can afford, to have Scotland "rejoining" by itself. With the UK voting out it has lost a major net contributor and it won't want yet another small Country that will be unable to boost the coffers.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Posted By: Patti
Date Posted: 15/July/2016 at 21:40
Totally agree

Date Posted: 16/July/2016 at 08:54

I doubt if the EU will want, or can afford, to have Scotland "rejoining" by itself. With the UK voting out it has lost a major net contributor and it won't want yet another small Country that will be unable to boost the coffers.

I think you are probably right there David.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 16/July/2016 at 09:34
The EU has already said that it wont accept Scotland as a seperate member.
The vote has been held,lets move on.
The SNP even tried rigging their vote about remaining part of the UK,by allowing children to vote,whose sole knowledge of politics is watching Braveheart.William Wallace,a Scottish traitor,played by an Australian,filmed in Ireland,& a story about as true as unicorn dung.

-------------

Date Posted: 16/July/2016 at 09:53
Originally posted by tiganut tiganut wrote:

The EU has already said that it wont accept Scotland as a seperate member.
The vote has been held,lets move on.
The SNP even tried rigging their vote about remaining part of the UK,by allowing children to vote,whose sole knowledge of politics is watching Braveheart.William Wallace,a Scottish traitor,played by an Australian,filmed in Ireland,& a story about as true as unicorn dung.

LOL

Date Posted: 16/July/2016 at 10:41
If you mean by children 16/17 yrs old you are being rather insulting.Most of them will know more about politics than you do as they do Political studies in school and many carry on to do A Levels in History and Politics and then to University.You can be a member of a political party at 16,have sex,get married, join the army so should be entitled to vote.

-------------
caz

Date Posted: 16/July/2016 at 11:19

Of course you are correct Dicey and, had read my post and understood it, you would have seen that I accept the result, though I don't have to like it.  You will, I am sure, allow me that freedom of thought.
We are all in the "same boat" and will "sink or swim" together.  I am buying a lifebelt!

And, was there really any need for the rather twee "end of"?  I am sure that as a right thinking Britisher you would not wish to choke off friendly discussion.  Calm down dear, it's only a forum!

Date Posted: 16/July/2016 at 11:30
I did read it & I did understand it - I was agreeing with you not arguing with you.

-------------

Posted By: Super__Ally
Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 07:22
If there were to be a referendum in England only and the question was:-
Should England be an independent country?
What do you think the result would be?

Manchester University figures show it would be in the region of 75% yes to 25% no

So why all the hypocrisy about wanting Scotland to remain part of the UK

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 09:42
No hypocrisy here...I have already said let all the UK vote. To me if the majority of Scotland want to be out off you go.
Only trouble was on the Scotland referendum more of them wanted to stay...jesus as I am typing Sturgeon is bleating on again on the Marr show. There is one thing for certain as long as she is running the show there will never be a happy compromise in her eyes.

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 09:49
[QUOTE=carolenclive]If you mean by children 16/17 yrs old you are being rather insulting.Most of them will know more about politics than you do as they do Political studies in school and many carry on to do A Levels in History and Politics and then to University.You can be a member of a political party at 16,have sex,get married, join the army so should be entitled to vote.[/QUOTE
Now who is being insulting?You have no idea what my background is.

-------------

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 10:37
No I do not and you do not know mine.But IMO the vote for anything General election  Referendums etc should be from the age of !6yrs.

-------------
caz

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 11:12
Should there be an upper age, I wonder?

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by carolenclive carolenclive wrote:

No I do not and you do not know mine.But IMO the vote for anything General election  Referendums etc should be from the age of !6yrs.

I don`t think at 16 years old the majority of youth have a clue to be honest. Not all but I would say the majority. Blame the education system or whatever.
My own daughter has 15 GSSE`s at A and B and she would have struggled to pass the 11+.
You only have to watch a quiz show these days, for example pointless seems to be the vogue, and you know before it starts which pair are going to go first, the young ones.
Maybe that is why in England the minimum age for Jury Service is 18...and to answer Jock`s post maximum is 70 so maybe that is a valid point.

Posted By: cameroncleggout
Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 11:44
Anyone who believes Britain will leave the EU without another vote is delusional. We have seen it all before, keep voting until you get the result your Government want. Just ask the Irish

-------------
cameronout

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 12:10
I also think it will go to another referendum,whatever the new Mrs Thatcher says.

-------------
caz

Posted By: sidsmum
Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 12:15
Sunday morning politics on the Albufeira forum.....very educational Approve

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 12:23
Originally posted by cameroncleggout cameroncleggout wrote:

keep voting until you get the "government/result/leader" you want. Just ask the Irish

Or the Labour Party Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 13:15
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

No hypocrisy here...I have already said let all the UK vote. To me if the majority of Scotland want to be out off you go.
Only trouble was on the Scotland referendum more of them wanted to stay...jesus as I am typing Sturgeon is bleating on again on the Marr show. There is one thing for certain as long as she is running the show there will never be a happy compromise in her eyes.

Wee Nicola will be a thorn in the flesh of the Westminster government for a long time.

Posted By: Epi360
Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 15:11
      Most of the electorate doesn't have a clue that's why we're in this mess

-------------
Music and sun

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 15:50
Originally posted by cameroncleggout cameroncleggout wrote:

Anyone who believes Britain will leave the EU without another vote is delusional. We have seen it all before, keep voting until you get the result your Government want. Just ask the Irish

Maybe why Boris has landed a decent post.
As I said before even from local politics level. Keep your gob shut and we will see you alright.

Date Posted: 17/July/2016 at 15:53

Wee Nicola will be a thorn in the flesh of the Westminster government for a long time.

Always reminds me of Rab`s Missus Mary Doll and your mate Jock Jimmy krankie.Wink

Date Posted: 18/July/2016 at 11:10
Is there a need for a second ref. and would it even be legal?  I don't understand the legal issues but I would have thought the result is clear enough to be binding.

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 18/July/2016 at 18:19
Ridiculous. What if there is another one and remain then win by 52% to 48%, does that been the leave camp can insist on yet another. When would it all end.

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Posted By: finalwhistle
Date Posted: 18/July/2016 at 19:08

These were 2 different votes. One was to stay in th eu. The other was to remain in UK or not. Do not let snp brainwash you that because I voted remain in eu that I now want to be independent. Being in the eu was not what made my decision up to not being independent.if you look at it independence did not guarantee you to be in eu but that does not fit jimmy (sturgeon) krankies story

Posted By: Patti
Date Posted: 18/July/2016 at 19:58
Originally posted by bob d bob d wrote:

Ridiculous. What if there is another one and remain then win by 52% to 48%, does that been the leave camp can insist on yet another. When would it all end.

Absolutely, there won't be another referendum

Date Posted: 18/July/2016 at 20:17
There could possibly be a 2nd referendum if Britain doesnt get the concessions they want in the Brexit negotiations.In that situation it would have to go to the country.

-------------
caz

Date Posted: 18/July/2016 at 20:51
Originally posted by Patti Patti wrote:

Absolutely, there won't be another referendum

Totally agree.
There won't be another EU referendum & there won't be another Scottish Independence referendum.
The whole point of referendum's is that the people vote and the outcome is decided by a simple majority.
In both cases the outcome of those referendums was decisive and any Government that goes back on those decisions is finished.
The UK will leave the EU and Scotland will remain part of the UK.
I'm afraid that Ms. Sturgeon is delusional if she thinks otherwise.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/July/2016 at 07:42
Will we get back any of the money loaned to these bankrupt economies?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyePCRkq620
That explains it perfectly.

-------------

Posted By: alan&alice
Date Posted: 19/July/2016 at 08:17
Originally posted by Analogue.man.in.a.di Analogue.man.in.a.di wrote:

Apparently these are the first ideas from the new UK Brexit Management Govt Dept. impacting ex-pats.

State pensions

Current reciprocal payment arrangements for ex-pats to end. Inflation indexing to end with payment levels frozen like those to non EU nations – Canada, Australia, etc. Payments made after deduction of a Govt. levy/charge for administration. Maybe private pension payments also subjected to the levy.

Driving licences

Current reciprocal arrangements to end, leading to insurance changes.

Insurance

Current arrangements to end. So, for motoring, this seems to imply that ex-pats would have to immediately apply for a Portuguese licence via test, to then obtain local motoring cover. This could be rather expensive.

For property and similar cover, companies that use the UK insurance market to levy a Govt. ex-pat surcharge.

Passports/ freedom of movement

Existing EU (UK state member) passports replaced on their expiry with a traditional British Passport, BUT only for bona-fide entitled holders – won’t that be fun!!!. For ex-pats, these to be obtained only via a personal UK appointment for registration under a new ex-pat category - to flag up non UK residency. New ‘domestic visa’ restrictions on ex-pats limiting return visits to the UK for a set timescale (? 30/60 days per annum) to stop medical tourism on the NHS or similar services via accommodation addresses.

Benefits

Current arrangements to end with the new passport category used to identify those living abroad and claiming UK benefits via tame family ‘ghosts’ in the UK. (Thought they already did that?)

Taxation & Property

Current arrangements to end. New HMRC regime to enforce a double-taxation regime on ex-pat property owners using current arrangement to avoid tax and keep undeclared income renting out properties, including ‘source-tracing’ to identify the original source of money used for property purchases against UK tax payment history. One source tells me that this side of things is based on the fact that as Portugal is one of the most exposed - if the suspected Eurozone disintegration occurs, then any money hidden away under nom-de-plume names in Portuguese banks, or under the mattress, might be wiped out or rendered worthless overnight.

So, subject to any “counter-measures” to be announced by Portugal against UK ex-pats who, in the main, are considered to make little or no local contribution to their lifestyles, it may be time to start dusting off the suitcases & packing up the tea-chests for a quick sale folks.

These early straws-in-the-wind reminded me of something. Those of us who

are of 'a certain age' will recall what happened to those Brits who stayed on in Rhodesia after it went UDI in the 1960’s. I recall newspaper stories of people being barred from re-entering or returning home penniless – in short being regarded as lepers. It might be worth doing a little bit of on-line research here as there appears to be a parallel.

Cry Cry Cry

1st chance I've had to catch up on here for a while and what a load of crap!!!!Angry

-------------
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/albufeira/481652

Date Posted: 19/July/2016 at 08:32

Is there a need for a second ref. and would it even be legal?  I don't understand the legal issues but I would have thought the result is clear enough to be binding.

So it should be,you can't call for another vote if the party you voted for didn't win at a general election,you have to suffer the outcome(admittidly for 4 years ) but that how it goes so I agree with jock 😃

-------------

Date Posted: 19/July/2016 at 08:38

I assume you're joking,very good explanation though LOLLOL

-------------

Date Posted: 19/July/2016 at 11:15
Originally posted by alan&alice alan&alice wrote:

I assume you're joking,very good explanation though LOLLOL

Fortunately,yes,but I would be very interested to know the true bottom line of who owes what.

-------------

Date Posted: 19/July/2016 at 11:24
Originally posted by alan&alice alan&alice wrote:

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Apparently
these are the first ideas from the new UK Brexit Management Govt Dept.
impacting ex-pats.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">State pensions<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Current
reciprocal payment arrangements for ex-pats to end. Inflation indexing to end
with payment levels frozen like those to non EU nations – Canada, Australia,
etc. Payments made after deduction of a Govt. levy/charge for administration.
Maybe private pension payments also subjected to the levy.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Driving licences<o:p></o:p></span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Current
reciprocal arrangements to end, leading to insurance changes.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Insurance <o:p></o:p></span>

arrangements to end. So, for motoring, this seems to imply that ex-pats would
have to immediately apply for a Portuguese licence via test, to then obtain
local motoring cover. This could be rather expensive.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">For
property and similar cover, companies that use the UK insurance market to levy
a Govt. ex-pat surcharge.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Passports/ freedom of
movement<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Existing
EU (UK state member) passports replaced on their expiry with a traditional British
Passport, BUT only for bona-fide entitled holders – won’t that be fun!!!. For
ex-pats, these to be obtained only via a personal UK appointment for
registration under a new ex-pat category - to flag up non UK residency. New
‘domestic visa’ restrictions on ex-pats limiting return visits to the UK for a
set timescale (? 30/60 days per annum) to stop medical tourism on the NHS or
similar services via accommodation addresses.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Benefits<o:p></o:p></span>

arrangements to end with the new passport category used to identify those
living abroad and claiming UK benefits via tame family ‘ghosts’ in the UK.
(Thought they already did that?)<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><b style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">Taxation & Property<o:p></o:p></span>

arrangements to end. New HMRC regime to enforce a double-taxation regime on
ex-pat property owners using current arrangement to avoid tax and keep
undeclared income renting out properties, including ‘source-tracing’ to
identify the original source of money used for property purchases against UK
tax payment history. One source tells me that this side of things is based on
the fact that as Portugal is one of the most exposed - if the suspected Eurozone
disintegration occurs, then any money hidden away under nom-de-plume names in Portuguese
banks, or under the mattress, might be wiped out or rendered worthless
overnight.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">So,
subject to any “counter-measures” to be announced by Portugal against UK
ex-pats who, in the main, are considered to make little or no local contribution
to their lifestyles, it may be time to start dusting off the suitcases &
packing up the tea-chests for a quick sale folks.<o:p></o:p>
</span>

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;">

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";">These
early straws-in-the-wind reminded me of something. Those of us who</span>

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "Arial","sans-serif";"><p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;">are of 'a certain age' will recall what
happened to those Brits who stayed on in Rhodesia after it went UDI in the
1960’s. I recall newspaper stories of people being barred from re-entering or
returning home penniless – in short being regarded as lepers. It might be worth
doing a little bit of on-line research here as there appears to be a parallel.

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;"><o:p>Cry </o:p>Cry Cry

</span><p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;">

<p ="normal-p-p0"="" style="margin: 4.65pt 0cm;">

1st chance I've had to catch up on here for a while and what a load of crap!!!!Angry

Says the man who, weeks before the referendum, said it was all a fix...

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 20/July/2016 at 06:18
yes perryApprove ,
i was highly surprised,seems the fixers slipped up Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 20/July/2016 at 09:55
Perry, surely the longest post ever.  Smile

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Date Posted: 20/July/2016 at 11:44
I only pressed the quote button Jock. Like the voters of the UK, a monumental cock up...

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 20/July/2016 at 12:01
Scaremongering:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36835566

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 21/July/2016 at 08:11
Ref the long post on 19th July, that will happen when using certain devices. I recommend that's referred out to administrator with a note of what device eg iPad or tablet and whether Windows, Android or whatever.

On the general matter, it is now slowly dawning on many here where I am at the moment what the low level and irritating consequences will be. Big business and global corporations, who really rule the world, mean nothing to the man on the street until he or she loses their job because Megabucks plc has relocated to Luxembourg or wherever.

On the positive side, I have heard that there need be no more adherence to expensive EU rules about accessibility to public transport, working hours regulations, no more having to allow third rate Belgian economic migrants to play football here and no Euro MP's to fund.

Have a nice day. I am off later to that haven of peace and tranquility called France, which some commentators are saying in some areas is on the brink of full scale public disorder. Will UK allow refugees in from France I wonder?

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 21/July/2016 at 13:30
Posted on my trusty laptop, windows 10.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 08:36

So was that! I suspect the post in question was written using Word, then pasted here. All the formatting marks eg <o:p>, </o:p>have been carried across.

Another thought has occurred to me, following my flight down from Gatwick to Bordeaux yesterday. Presumably all the EU people who can currently travel to and from UK using their national ID cards are going to require passports in future. Which cost a lot of money.

Another possible rebound!

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 12:24
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

So was that! I suspect the post in question was written using Word, then pasted here. All the formatting marks eg <o:p>, </o:p>have been carried across.

Another thought has occurred to me, following my flight down from Gatwick to Bordeaux yesterday. Presumably all the EU people who can currently travel to and from UK using their national ID cards are going to require passports in future. Which cost a lot of money.

Another possible rebound!

Hopefully that will help make our borders that bit safer as I would have thought the assumption would be a passport is a tad harder to forge due to its complexity than a national ID card.

Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 14:08
I wasn't aware that UK borders were unsafe?

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 16:56
In June the Faro-Albufeira bus I was on was stopped by GNR.  They checked the bus with a  sniffer dog and asked for ID.  I had a copy of the photo page of my passport but they were more interested in my EHIC card which they took away and returned 15-20 mins later.  The bus was allowed to go and that was that.  Odd.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Date Posted: 25/July/2016 at 21:14
Algarveaddick, how perceptive of you!Maybe I am delusional in thinking that everyone is as fair minded as me,it wouldn't be the first time. However, it can't be that bad here or you would have long since departed.Nay ,with such laser like insight,you would not have come here in the first place.
As I am not a clairvoyant, I can only adopt a sanguine attitude and hope for the best.Que serra, serra. I follow the school of thought which decrees,never worry about anything that you can do nothing about. Serenity.

Date Posted: 25/July/2016 at 21:50
You can do (or could have done) something Phil - vote remain. My observation was indeed based on a number of years experience and facts, I made no mention of how I felt about it, so perhaps you are actually clairvoyant after all?

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 26/July/2016 at 07:35

I wasn't aware that UK borders were unsafe?

Probably a lot more safe than most, but if I heard correctly the other day around 3,000 got in last year illegally (eg in the backs of trucks) and were subsequently deported. I assume though these were those they found. They would be people without any ID or passports at all, otherwise they would travel by the usual means. On mainland Europe, you can walk across borders and no-one is there to stop you.

No-one really knows how many have sneaked into the UK over the years. Here in France, estimates are that around 400,000 are living illegally. The French deport them from time to time en masse when pressed to do so by local indignation, the UK government is too kind.

Anyway, that has little or nothing to do with the EU situation.

Studying the football transfer market the other day, it is no longer remarkable how few English players are involved at the top levels. I would imagine that the big clubs are getting their lawyers prepped up, to ensure that all their future signings post actual exit are found somehow to be exempt from whatever work permit rules and regulations mere mortals have to abide by.

As the saying goes, may you live in interesting times!

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 26/July/2016 at 10:33
I was driving round the M25 last week,& the signs said 'Pedestrians In Road',sure enough,every 200 yards or so was a foreign looking young man ,with his rucksack.Must have taken the police hours to round them up.

-------------

Posted By: gerry
Date Posted: 31/July/2016 at 23:28
I wouldn't worry about BREXIT according to a German man I spoke to this week (CEO of a large company ) told me the German government recon there will be no EU in about 2 years time that even before we leave, everyone knows it is on the cards and the EU doesn't work.

Date Posted: 01/August/2016 at 09:41
Yet when CEOs of large companies in Britain told us we were better off staying in the EU, Brexiters told us to ignore them as they didn't know what they were on about. Funny that...

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 30/August/2016 at 16:25
Hi, I have just spent 25 days in various places in the UK and the doom laden words of the Remain camp appear to be somewhat wide of the mark.Unemployment is down and better percentage wise than the majority of advanced countries.Inward investment is healthy and the FTSE resilient, quite the opposite of the predictions of a country laid waste by the Brexit vote.
Regarding my vote,I didn't get the postal vote requested from my local authority so my Leave vote was never recorded. If I was of a cynical disposition, I may have suspected that a local authority employee,being aware of my age and therefore likely to vote LEAVE, made sure that I never got the postal vote as he wished to Remain. No,in Britain, couldn't happen,could it? [:)]
We must endeavour to ensure that Independent Britain thrives and the signs are there that we can,that is not just my opinion, it is shared by far cleverer people than l including a certain CEO who was firmly in the Remain camp but has now ,on the evidence available, changed his mind.
Best wishes, Phil.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: iane
Date Posted: 30/August/2016 at 18:56
Surprising how many people know the intimate machinations of the minds of major CEO's - after 2 months of no action following the vote any CEO worth a light would be sitting tight and waiting to see something concrete before committing himself - a 180 degree turn in this short a time would not fill me with confidence and in any balanced view there has been far more negative than positive economic data - if this shambles actually goes ahead it will be years before the final effects are seen and on that basis many major decisions on investment, recruitment etc will be deferred until more certainty appears. The info available so far is not good despite anyone talking up unemployment figures - next thing is someone will be claiming that the FTSE 100 is an accurate barometer of the UK economy when its growth mainly reflects increased DOLLAR asset values of multi-nationals mainly operating outside the UK after the fall of sterling.
Data already shows that UK is on a par with Greece as the countries with the worst drop in real wages, mortgage approvals at a long time low, research programmes under threat etc etc - and please don't quote retail spending figures - tie these to the (lack of) confidence in job security polled alongside it and it is probably fair to assume some big ticket spending before the cost of imported goods rises.
No-one can yet take any sort of balanced view - we are dealing with politicians here after all - and many of the current crop have already been shown to have no real understanding of how the EU even works...

Posted By: Epi360
Date Posted: 30/August/2016 at 19:54
Well said iane at last someone talking sense on here

-------------
Music and sun

Date Posted: 30/August/2016 at 23:29
Iane, I won't bother to post comments on the situation post Brexit. No matter what evidence of the current economic climate is available, the disenchanted Remain faction are determined to undermine the decision of the majority of British people who voted to Leave, rightly or wrongly. You presented a case where you demeaned people who ignored CEO s who supported the Remain camp and promptly derided a man in the same position when he changed his mind.Which is it to be,listen to CEOs or ignore them?Or does there have to be a qualifying period before they are allowed,no matter what the evidence perceived by them,can be taken into account?
That attitude sums up the mindset of the EU, give people a vote until they vote the right way.Ask Ireland.
Read the book "Brussels laid bare" by Marta Andreasen, factual, informative and enlightening. The EU is a cesspit of corruption throughout. But,not one disenchanted Remain supporter ,has taken my advice to read that publication because they have closed minds and do not wish to know the truth.I await your comments as I am sure that you are a fair and open minded person who will be the exception to the rule and read that book.
Boa noite.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: hamlet
Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 00:58
Steady Phil. Would you trust a CEO? Here are some of the irresponsible one's that come to mind. Fred Goodwin, Mike Ashley,currently other Bankers who are playing the field (where does he get the time) etc, etc. The way I was brought up was to admire and respect people at their level who were expected to set standards. It appears to me that they are only interested in a fast buck. Buck being an understatement. How many do you read moves from a to b with a nice wee pay off. How things have changed. I have lost all respect for these guys.
Then there is the our MP's cheating the system with claims for expenses. Remember the garden fish pond or whatever it was and it is still going on. I never had respect for them anyway! Probably no worse than the corruption you claim in the EC. The argument could go on forever. Why did they not allow 16 to 18 year olds a vote? After all it will affect them, certainly not me. Once I win my claim from the RBS I may believe there still is justice in this Country. (Notice THIS Country.) No Border Control at Gretna for me.
At the end of the day we have to get on with it and don't forget the feel good factor you experienced, apart from the good weather which always helps to keep us happy, could be down to the fact that the document to take us out has not yet been signed. Rant over.

Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 10:45
We are still in the EU. The only thing that has changed is a massive drop in the value of the pound, which is indicative of the rest of the world looking at Britain and saying "you idiots". Well except those shining examples of high moral standards and good virtue, the Russians...

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 10:53
Oh - actually, I forgot, the other thing that has changed is the increase in racist and xenophobic attacks. I am sure the 37% of registered voters who chose leave are delighted about that.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 12:01
Many years ago,GB was asked if it wanted to be in the EEC ,or not.The vote was in favour.Had the country been asked if they wanted unelected comissioners interfering in our country,& costing extortionate amounts of money,I doubt the answer would have been the same.Failed politicians from every party seem to find well funded passtimes,as a thank you for not rocking the boat.Some even take the whole family along for the ride.
 Remember George Sorros playing God with sterling a few years ago,did our European friends step in?,yet a couple of days later we spent billions propping up the German currency.
 If David Cameron had come back from his last negotiations with something tangeble,the vote would probably have gone the other way,he didn't,so we will be out at some stage.

-------------

Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 12:03
"Failed politicians from every party seem to find well funded passtimes.Some even take the whole family along for the ride."

Not wrong there mate - Farage has turned it into an art form!   

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 14:59
As this thread’s originator, I’m reminded of the saying about the certainty of punishment for any kindness. Maybe, as events unfold, the picture will come together for us all.

For the record: No, tonisdad I’m not scaremongering neither, am I a festering Remain supporter, Phil.

I repeat, my source is a trusted one - concerned more about the neurotic direction/s now chosen by the UK’s population of Daily Mail readers, than its bunch of here-today-gone-tomorrow politicians. It’s also a series of entirely logical and inevitable scenarios. Any adult (i.e. anyone over 12 these days) who doesn’t listen to the BBC or MSM knows that our elected Betters don’t actually run anything. The civil service, (now thoroughly infiltrated by paid special advisors & special interest groups) table the options of best result, and the rubber stamp descends.

So, consider what we have so far;-

UK - Discussion over the future status of EU citizens in the UK and the need to ID & control future migration. Note please, not immigration, migration. Does anyone really believe ex-pats holding EU Passports are just going to walk back in without being subjected to some very carefully prepared scrutiny? HMRC has been (wet) dreaming over this for years, and all their Christmases are on the horizon. All those lovely data-bases whirring away.

·        Portugal – Cash deals over a certain limit to be outlawed; State to have access to all bank accounts. (Apparently ordered by the USA). Calls to increase local taxes for those having better views from their property than others.

Yes, it is early days – very, very early, but just like trains, wherever the track gets laid there go the engines - per the timetable, with all the very reluctant passengers on-board. All-Aboard!! next stop – Special Exemption Schemes granting access to the EU single market for the financial services sector and other non-EU ..... interests.

Finally, as I said before, all this does so remind me of what happened to the Brits who stayed behind in Rhodesia/ Zimbabwe during & after the UDI period. They believed they could just come back home. Some large mining companies did rather well from it all, as I recall but not the people.

We’re at the start of a rather long & subtle chess game – it’s just a game to the elites & multi-nationals - but rather important to everyone else.

Ouch

-------------
Thanks

Date Posted: 31/August/2016 at 20:01
Wots this Brexit thing all about then?  Sounds fascinatin.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/September/2016 at 12:27
The pound sterling is rising,could be that other countries, as well as some CEO's, are changing their minds.

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 01/September/2016 at 13:47
Encouraging.  Hope it lasts.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/September/2016 at 15:18
Re - Making your family rich via the EU.Just follow the example set by Neil Kinnock ,now elevated to the House of Lords for his contribution to philanthropy and selfless devotion to the socialist principle of improving the lot of your fellow man.As was Ghengis Khan!

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 01/September/2016 at 16:59
Farage does.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 01/September/2016 at 17:54

I repeat, my source is a trusted one - The civil service, (now thoroughly infiltrated by paid special advisors & special interest groups.

So the assumption must be "your source" must be one of these paid special advisors as they seem to know a lot more about what is going to happen not going to happen than the Government does.

Does anyone really believe ex-pats holding EU Passports are just going to walk back in without being subjected to some very carefully prepared scrutiny?

I would think..dont know...would think the majority of ex-pats still hold UK passports so would have no problem. British born and bred I would not envisage any problem for said ex-pat.

·        Portugal – Cash deals over a certain limit to be outlawed; State to have access to all bank accounts.

Can`t say I personally agree I am not averse to the odd cash deal myself but on the whole replace the word cash deal for tax avoidance deal and you have the same thing.

If you have nothing to hide in your bank account no problem again I can`t say I agree..but.

It`s coming mate so you will have to deal with it who knows it might be better it might be worse no one knows.......Oh your source might.

Date Posted: 01/September/2016 at 19:01
Wouldn't be surprised if it was Sir Nigel before long,as a reward for giving British people their second "finest hour".

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 09:09
That is a very disrespectful thing to say Phil. Comparing a coward who runs away from the chaos he has helped cause to the sacrifices ordinary British people made to defend their European counterparts 70 years ago. Shame on you, you WUM. My last word on this thread.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 10:52
It's now about getting the best deal for the UK.  Forget being pro or anti.  It's been decided. I know that the referendum doesn't bind a government.  A parliamentary vote can ignore it.  But that's not going to happen.  What we need is a strong opposition to test and check the legislation that brings our exit into being.  Sadly we have none.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 11:32

Wots this Brexit thing all about then?  Sounds fascinatin.

Jock

Brexit  pronunciation Brecks-it:
Noun from Oxford English Dictionary:
Used to describe person/persons who fall out with friends often close friends because of differing opinions.
Usually when both persons have not got a clue what they are on about and base their opinions on pure conjecture.

Hope that helps Jock Wink.

Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 12:20
Good definition.

-------------

Posted By: Polo Marco
Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 14:09
The sacrifices ordinary British people made 70 years ago were to stop a German dominated Europe.  Since the collapse of the Soviet Union the EU (German dominated) has been expanding eastwards and has even financed the overthrow of the democratically elected Government in Ukraine.  The EU may be more polite to us than Germany was in WWII, ie not dropping bombs or shooting at us, but it still tells us what to do.

Posted By: cameroncleggout
Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 15:14
At last, someone else who actually sees the truth rather than what the BBC etc tell you to believe. It is clear to all those who bother to care, US and EU facilitated the overthrow of the Ukraine leader. What followed clearly backfired on them as Russia now has Crimea (Following a democratic vote and not invaded as the US and EU want you to believe)

-------------
cameronout

Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 16:15
Democracy is a myth perpetuated by those in power.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 22:42
Let me establish the fact that I have boundless admiration for the people who fought for the Allies in both world wars.At a later date, I served in the RAF for three years and was fortunate to emerge unscathed.If you can't stand the heat,don't come into the kitchen, that is my view of my own personal experience and no reflection on anyone else.
Nigel may have become less visible ,post Brexit ,but he was instrumental in bringing about the freedom of the British people from the tyrannical dictatorship that the EU has become. Tell me honestly, do you think that it is right for unelected beurocrats in Brussels to regard our parliament as nothing more than a local council? British people elect representatives to govern the country, not to be subservient to any other entity.
I have no shame in expressing my views,I am unashamedly English, despite the trend to demean our history and become the world champion of apologists.
No one knows what the future holds but I have confidence in the British people to adapt to whatever circumstances arise and make Britain great again.
By the way, your comments regarding the racist attacks and linking them to Leave supporters was out of order and a cheap shot.I ,just as an example, have friends from all over the world and I am sure that there are many in the Leave camp who can say the same. Shame on you.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: Polo Marco
Date Posted: 02/September/2016 at 23:47
Well said Phil.

Date Posted: 03/September/2016 at 00:40
Thank you Março, I have chosen to live out the Autumn of my days in the Algarve. Although of relatively restricted means, here,it is easy to have a good standard. of living non the less.
Fortunately, over the last nine years, I have been able to accumulate many friends both British and Portuguese, Dutch, Canadian and French
All differences between the two camps,Leave and Remain, should be forgotten and both camps should pull together in a united

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 03/September/2016 at 00:55
Continued,effort to make a successful outcome of the Brexit vote.

Date Posted: 03/September/2016 at 10:29
Don't give him your name Pike!

-------------

Date Posted: 04/September/2016 at 10:43
German officer " You boy,what's your name"?Captain Mainwaring "Don't tell him Pike"!
Priceless.

-------------
Phil.

Date Posted: 05/September/2016 at 10:50
Construction and Manufacturing both resilient in August. Analysts forecast no growth in the Services sector which accounts for 80%of our GDP, today announced the figure of over 52.Any sum over 50 represents growth.
As reported in today's Guardian. Thrive on UK, thrive on.

-------------
Phil.

Posted By: Luis
Date Posted: 05/September/2016 at 11:31
Yes Phil great results for a country that is still a member of the EU. Hopefully will carry on aafter the exit takes place but we shall see how it goes after that.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk