Print Page | Close Window

Faro airport No smoking

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Algarve
Forum Description: Questions related to the Region... / Questões sobre o Algarve
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9201
Printed Date: 28/April/2024 at 23:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Faro airport No smoking
Posted By: S1gh
Subject: Faro airport No smoking
Date Posted: 10/November/2015 at 18:20
For thoses of you that need to know the smoking lounge in Faro airport was closed on Sunday and we were told that they are not sure if it will be re-opened.

Sorry if this has already been posted or if it has opened again

Replies:
Posted By: finalwhistle
Date Posted: 10/November/2015 at 22:24
It was shut on 3rd November on my way back. Women said to me no smoking in airport anymore

Posted By: Super Bock
Date Posted: 11/November/2015 at 00:33
Noooooooooo

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 11/November/2015 at 10:15
The area is probably now planned to be something else, that can make the owners some more money by charging extortionate prices for food and drink.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 11/November/2015 at 10:31
Was bound to happen sooner or later - must have been the only airport in Europe left with one.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 11/November/2015 at 11:34
'erindoors will not be pleased.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: carolenclive
Date Posted: 11/November/2015 at 11:57
There is one at Manchester airport,lots of staff use it and at CDG Paris.I dont smoke never had but  hubby does and they always find these things out.

-------------
caz

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 11/November/2015 at 12:09
I am intrigued by the expansion of the airport overall to be honest.

Although I don't travel in the summer, the only complaints I ever really hear is about the problem getting through passport control. A difficulty more or less unique to Irish and British travellers, simply remedied by actually manning all the booths and having automated gates that actually work.

The part where the smoking lounge is, and always has been, virtually empty when I have been there (the smoking lounge itself being a partial exemption).

This "bulge" that is going to take up what was the most convenient car park is going to house what exactly? Tie rack and Starbucks? Faro isn't really that kind of airport is it? What is the point in adding more stuff landside, or even airside for that matter. For a smallish airport Faro has a decent variety of shops and eateries airside already - it makes Munich look like Blackpool or Southend airports...

The one thing I would like to see return is the observation lounge where you could wave at your relatives/friends when they were waiting for their bags, and more importantly see when they had collected them. Or at least get the giant arrivals screen working properly again, it is, and has been, next to useless since they put in state of the art small screens everywhere else and reduced the information on that one to whether a plane has arrived or not.   

Date Posted: 14/February/2016 at 09:19
Hi all our first time over for a few months is there still no smoking area at Faro?

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 14/February/2016 at 09:29
It wasn't open in December.

Date Posted: 14/February/2016 at 09:50
Don't think so - probably gone for good.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Posted By: port princess
Date Posted: 14/February/2016 at 13:38
It was still closed in January .

-------------
Portprincess

Posted By: john2604smith
Date Posted: 14/February/2016 at 14:55
The big room up stairs is always empty, I think that because it is called a smoking lounge the majority of the people give it a wide birth. However there is a small room inside the big room for the smokers. The rest of it is pleasant to sit in and as I said not busy like the other areas downstairs and you can use the wi fi up there. So if we have a wait for our flight we normally go up there and watch the TV, there are also toilets up there, so if you want to get away from the crowds pop upstairs.

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Date Posted: 15/February/2016 at 08:34
I can confirm that the whole of upstairs is shut at the moment! Including the smoking lounge!

Date Posted: 02/May/2016 at 14:06
Does anyone know if the smoking area is open?

Date Posted: 02/May/2016 at 19:50
Upstairs was all closed up last time we went back in early March.

-------------

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 03/May/2016 at 11:26
Like a building site early April. A two year project to enlarge the departures and check-in area is under way.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Posted By: Jayjan
Date Posted: 03/May/2016 at 22:34
 found this which gives some info on what's supposedly  happening at the airport. Not sure how up to date it is
   https://planodedesenvolvimentofao.wordpress.com/

-------------
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.

Posted By: aylesbury
Date Posted: 04/May/2016 at 10:25
it was closed on april the 10th , we were not  pleased
ray

-------------
aylesbury

Date Posted: 04/May/2016 at 16:47
Every airport I've been at recently - Edinburgh, Faro, Krakow - has been "under redevelopment".  A bit of a pain.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: sidsmum
Date Posted: 04/May/2016 at 18:16
I worked at Heathrow for many years - it was know as the only building site with it's own airport!!

Date Posted: 16/May/2016 at 13:41
No access to upstairs last Thursday (looks like it's being ripped apart) and no alternative smoking area except outside.

-------------

Posted By: A9NDY
Date Posted: 16/May/2016 at 14:53
as above , seen quite a few people hiding in corners sneakily using them e cigarette things ..... 

Date Posted: 28/May/2016 at 21:29
 For anyone interested just found these two links to what's happening with the new renovations at airport, not read them fully but there  could be info somewhere within them  if there is going to be  a new smokers lounge or not.

http://www.ana.pt/en-US/Topo/institucional/aboutANA/News/News/Pages/A-growing-airport.aspx?fromlist=1 

https://planodedesenvolvimentofao.wordpress.com/

-------------

Posted By: Gerscot
Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 12:50
Does anyone have an update on this? I cannot find any reference in the links provide.

Thanks

-------------
Gerry

Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 15:16
It's still closed & unlikely to reappear anytime soon if ever.

-------------

Posted By: Biggunspaul
Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 16:43
Do people have such little will power that they have to check in advance if there is a smokers area because they can't go without a fag for a few hours.

Posted By: Epi360
Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 17:34
It appears so, I may have to have a few to stock up to get me through

-------------
Music and sun

Posted By: cameroncleggout
Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 19:10
According to check in desk as we left today. The smoking room won`t be re-opening.

WARNING DO NOT WAIT FOR THE AIRPORT ON THE WAY HOME TO PURCHASE YOUR CIGS

Everywhere in Albufeira 10 X 30gram Amber leaf = 64 euros. Faro airport the same 10 X 30 gram Amber Leaf = 79 euros

Fortunately we purchased ours over the week and got 100 pouches for 150 euros less than at the airport

-------------
cameronout

Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 20:41
We had a 4 hour delay (i.e. 6 hours inside the airport) coming down from Southend and they allowed us smokers to go back outside (i.e. through security etc) to have a cigarette outside. As long as we took our boarding passes we could go as many times as we wanted.
Now that is consideration Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 29/June/2016 at 23:22
I am a light smoker but don't find it difficult to go without on a 3hr max flight,plus time involved sat  in airport .If you have delays well then its willpower. Would be good  though if airports accepted electronic cigs  as a substitute if you are that desperate.

-------------

Posted By: tiganut
Date Posted: 30/June/2016 at 07:03
I would take that as a NO then,have a smoke outside.

-------------
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins

Date Posted: 30/June/2016 at 10:18
Originally posted by Biggunspaul Biggunspaul wrote:

Do people have such little will power that they have to check in advance if there is a smokers area because they can't go without a fag for a few hours.
You're right there. Not a smoker but my wife is. She gets irritable when she can't have a smoke and I get the flak.
Standing on the apron in the Ryanair queue (watching the incoming passengers disembark) I saw several cigarette buts on the ground.  Not very far from refuelling aircraft.

Posted By: reds
Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 08:05
Hopefully restaurants will do the same and ban smoking. I can (just about) accept it in bars but to have someone light a fag 3 feet from your food is disgusting. I kind of admire Portugals stance on smoking in public places and going against the whole nanny state thing but smoking whilst people are eating needs 'stubbing out'

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 12:21
Originally posted by reds reds wrote:

Hopefully restaurants will do the same and ban smoking. I can (just about) accept it in bars but to have someone light a fag 3 feet from your food is disgusting. I kind of admire Portugals stance on smoking in public places and going against the whole nanny state thing but smoking whilst people are eating needs 'stubbing out'

Could not agree more. They always seem to be inconsiderate and spark up while they are chewing their last mouthful  just as your food arrives.
Same as trying to position yourself outside coffee shop etc where it looks less likely you will have to inhale first and second hand smoke especially when you have a child with you.

Posted By: tiganut
Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 16:38
I am one of those that everybody hates,a reformed smoker.
I was an 80 a day man,stopped 4 years ago.
I dont mind the smell of smoke,it's stale smoke that gets me.

-------------
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins

Date Posted: 22/July/2016 at 21:51
Wow Tig  what willpower, 80 a day then stopping. I stopped for 24 yrs (20 a day) and then stupidly  started again 15 yrs ago but I do not smoke when people around me  are eating.  I move off outside the door  of a restaurant/bar if I want one as when I stopped smoking I found it so irritating & ignorant  that people would smoke at the side of me in a restaurant when I was eating ( that was before the laws came in) 

-------------

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 23/July/2016 at 07:47
Originally posted by tiganut tiganut wrote:

I am one of those that everybody hates,a reformed smoker.
I was an 80 a day man,stopped 4 years ago.
I dont mind the smell of smoke,it's stale smoke that gets me.

Wow that must have taken some doing!
Even though a none smoker I thought it was wrong that when the smoking in public places ban came in in the UK the likes of working mens` clubs/pubs were not given the choice to set aside a room for smokers if they wished and it was viable.
Then as a none smoker if I wished to sit in there I had a choice to do so.
I think it was maybe the final nail in the coffin for a lot of drinking establishments.

Posted By: Whatsthestory
Date Posted: 24/April/2017 at 18:31
Any updates on this, my misses is a very nervous flyer And a cigarette helps her a bit

Date Posted: 24/April/2017 at 19:20
No sign an internal smoking area when we came home at the beginning of March.
My hunch is that there's not going to be one at all in the future.
Looks like the only option from now on is to smoke outside the terminal building before you go in.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk