Print Page | Close Window

Flight Watch

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Algarve
Forum Description: Questions related to the Region... / Questões sobre o Algarve
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6437
Printed Date: 29/March/2024 at 13:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Flight Watch
Posted By: Super__Ally
Subject: Flight Watch
Date Posted: 30/September/2011 at 11:34

For anyone who is interested

I have been checking for some budget flights to Albufeira (Faro) from the UK
The lowest prices I can find for a basic flight are with Ryanair.
Prices include 10Kg luggage and �10 card fee.

Flight details
Prestwick to Faro. Out Sat 03/12/11. Back Sat 10/12/11.  Total basic cost = �55
Bournmouth to Faro Out Wed 12/10/11. Back Sat 19/10/11. Total basic cost = �68 
Manchester to Faro Out Thu 06/10/11. Back Thu 13/10/11. Total basic cost = �66 
Birmingham to Faro Out Sat 26/11/11. Back Sat 3/12/11. Total basic cost = �48 
Bristol to Faro Out Sat 26/11/11. Back Sat 3/12/11. Total basic cost = �48 
Stanstead to Faro Out Fri 25/11/11. Back Fri 2/12/11. Total basic cost = �51

I know if you add more luggage and things like golf clubs or a giraffe it will cost more.

If anyone can find other budget flights at other times i would appreciate it if they could post them on this thread 

-------------
Ally

Replies:
Posted By: ant1969
Date Posted: 13/October/2011 at 12:25
There are flights for early December from East Midlands for less than £50 -

4 to 11.12.2011 - £45.98
8 to 15.12.2011 - £40.73

There would be the additional booking admin fee.  Hand luggage only.

-------------
com amor e cumprimentos Donna x

Date Posted: 13/October/2011 at 12:39
Ryan Air flight from Prestwick. 

Prestwick to Faro.
Out Sat 03/12/11. Back Tue 06/12/11.  Total basic cost = £35.98.
There are additional costs such as a £12 booking fee. If you can travel light the cost is £48.

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 13/October/2011 at 13:01
November prices from East Mids

10 - 17 £38
13 - 17 (4 nights) £41
13 - 20 £46
17 - 24 £43

-------------

Posted By: Travis B.
Date Posted: 26/February/2012 at 21:42
I was at a wedding in Bermondsey in November 2011 and some people were discussing flights/car hire/accomodation on the Algarve.
After a few had mentioned RyanAir and Monarch, some guy said, "RyanAir? You're having a laugh aren't you?
"Surely no one is mug enough to use them twice are they?"
He said, "Screw the cheapo flights, I go TAP or BA to Lisbon, have one night there, good restaurants and bars, then rent a car and and drive to Portimao, it only takes half a day and there are some blinding places en-route for lunch, three weeks later I do the same in reverse, life is too short to travel with the peasants to save £40 or £50."
Don't look at me, I never said it, I haven't been to Albufeira for years, but my son flies into Seville then drives to Silves, Carvoiero, or Tavira if he goes to the Algarve. 

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 26/February/2012 at 22:07
???

But traveling many times a year... I don't think so. When we have a week to go to our place on the Algarve, we want to go to our place on the Algarve!
An extra few quid on the flight versus hotels in transit... No brainer for us.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Chrissy63
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 07:21
Cheapest, quickest way to Albufeira means more time & money to spend when i'm there.

-------------
Lifes a beach

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 10:25
Originally posted by Travis B. Travis B. wrote:

I was at a wedding in Bermondsey in November 2011 and some people were discussing flights/car hire/accomodation on the Algarve.
After a few had mentioned RyanAir and Monarch, some guy said, "RyanAir? You're having a laugh aren't you?

"Surely no one is mug enough to use them twice are they?"

He said, "Screw the cheapo flights, I go TAP or BA to Lisbon, have one night there, good restaurants and bars, then rent a car and and drive to Portimao, it only takes half a day and there are some blinding places en-route for lunch, three weeks later I do the same in reverse, life is too short to travel with the peasants to save £40 or £50."

Don't look at me, I never said it, I haven't been to Albufeira for years, but my son flies into Seville then drives to Silves, Carvoiero, or Tavira if he goes to the Algarve. 

Would only travel Ryanair if desperate, however if by doing so I avoid self important snobs like the bloke at the wedding, bring it on.

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 11:09
Lisbon is tempting though.  I spent some time there with pals in my teens in the 60s.  After Norway it was my second spell abroad.  I loved the place, the people, the climate, the tree lined avenue leading to the statue of Pombal, Jeronimos Monastery, Henry the Navigator's Monument & the views across the Tagus.
Now I'm thinking about booking a couple of nights in Lisbon when we're in Albufeira.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: Christina
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 11:20
Smile I also love Lisbon. I've been there for concerts and for mini breaks. I go by train which
      is a very pleasant journey. I usually stay a couple of nights and enjoy the sightseeing.
      I think I need to go again soon I'm getting withdrawel symtoms. If you havn't yet been
      to Lisbon, go because I'm sure you will love it.

-------------
Christina James

Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 11:26
Christina, I've had a quick look at train times and where the Albufeira train station is (ie not in Albufeira).  I think at least one overnight in Lisbon would be needed, it's too far for a day trip.  Is that right?
I think I remember a public elevator in Lisbon old town made of cast iron, like the Forth bridge.  Not sure though.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 11:28
The Santa Justa lift.

Posted By: Christina
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 13:34
Cry Yes you're right Jock, you'd only have a few hours if you went for a day trip.
       Its worth staying a night or two, theres loads of deals on hotels so it wouldn't
       have to cost a fortune.  While you're there take a train out to Sintra its not too
       far and its well worth going to.

-------------
Christina James

Posted By: S1gh
Date Posted: 27/February/2012 at 19:53
Nothing wrong with Ryanair. Expect nowt, get nowt, nowt wrong with that. How can you go wrong for 50 quid, your only on the plane for a couple of hours, you get a seat and you get to where your going.
Happy days in my book!!!

Posted By: Richardk
Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 08:14
I'm not a great fan of Ryanair however you can pre book your seats (just like Monarch but not so much choice). We did this last week €10 per person per flight but it took all the push & shove out of our boarding so money well spent . Due to a headwind we were a few minutes landing however it saved having to listen to their stupid 'on time'  fanfare!!

Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 09:11
S1gh

I agree. You only get what you pay for and Ryanair's "cheap flights?" make it easier for me to visit Albufeira at least a couple of times a year.
The more expensive the cost of travel, the fewer travelers you will get. Is this why Albufeira is like a ghost town just now?
I honestly have never had a problem with Ryanair (or any other Airline) and have travelled with them very many times. I have also travelled a couple of times First Class to Newark through my job and in my opinion the price difference is probably worth it as it is an 8 hour flight
The cost of a return flight from Scotland to Faro is £70 and takes 2 hours 45 minutes.
The cost of a return train ticket from Glasgow to London is Â£90 and takes 4 hous 30 mins

I am not knocking train travel I am just trying to keep thing in perspective.

Note! there are NO Ryanair flights to FARO from Scotland on a Saturday in 2012 They have either been snapped up by travel firms or for a reason do not know of.

Flying from Scotland to Lisbon using BA Is a non starter for me As I would need to change flights at Heathrow and then somehow get to Albufeira from Lisbon. It would be time to come home before i got there.

-------------
Ally

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 09:54
BA, Monarch and Easyjet all fly London Gatwick to Faro. If you book well in advance prices are quite reasonable (if you avoid Saturdays) and of course BA don't charge for first hold bag, seat choice, water, air etc.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 10:24
Cubsur
Thats great if you stay in the south.  My problem would be getting from Glasgow to Gatwick.
It is cheaper to fly to the moon.
Ive flown with all three of the airlines you mention and in my opinon there is not much difference in the standard of service of any of them. (BA being the best) But having said that I always pay for priority boarding with Ryanair and beat the mad rush.
I might be giving the impression that I think Ryanair and wonderful, well I dont believe that for a second i just think they offer a fair service for the money I pay.

There is a definite need for a low cost method of getting holiday makers to Albufeira in order to allow the pubs and restuarants and other satelite businesses to survive. As has been previously said the less spent on travel, the more spent on "sustinance"

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 11:17
No one has mentioned Jet2.  I used them Edinburgh-Faro in Feb 11 & we'll be using them again this June.

-------------

Posted By: john2604smith
Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 11:34
I am lucky for Airports where I live, I have Leeds Bradford an hour away and Newcastle an hour away. Flights with Ryan air, Jet 2, easy jet, so I am spoilt for choice really  Thumbs Up

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 11:41
I have never flew Jet2 but a collegue has a holiday home in Spain and wont hear a bad word against them as he uses them frequently.

-------------
Ally

Posted By: Jayjan
Date Posted: 28/February/2012 at 13:00
We normally use Monarch or Jet2 from Manchester. Ryanair are also available but never yet flown with them, besides the rip off  luggage charges its the admin fee or thats what O'leary calls it (Booking fees) charged for every person on each leg of flight that really gets my goat, plus flight times are not ideal late afternoon departing & early evening returning. I would sooner have morning/lunchtime flights. We also have a choice of Easyjet from Liverpool & just over an hour away we have Blackpool or Leeds Bradford. 

Posted By: Travis B.
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 00:08

I haven't been to Albufeira for years, but my son flies into Seville then drives to Silves, Carvoiero, or Tavira if he goes to the Algarve. 

Went out to dinner with my son and his wife on Tuesday evening.
He told me that his wife's cousin had offered them the use of their villa in Carvoiero this year. So I told him about this forum, suggesting that he checked it out, particularly the posts about RyanAir, and asked the reason that he had favoured flying into Seville in the past when he visited the Algarve.
He said, "First of all the flights to Seville were cheaper in the school holidays than flights to Faro, and second of all, Gill and I don't qualify to fly RyanAir."
I fell for it and asked how so?
He said, "Neither of us has a tattoo, nor a shell suit."  

Posted By: Seefood
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 09:37

I haven't been to Albufeira for years, but my son flies into Seville then drives to Silves, Carvoiero, or Tavira if he goes to the Algarve. 

He told me that his wife's cousin had offered them the use of their villa in Carvoiero this year. So I told him about this forum, suggesting that he checked it out, particularly the posts about RyanAir, and asked the reason that he had favoured flying into Seville in the past when he visited the Algarve.

He said, "First of all the flights to Seville were cheaper in the school holidays than flights to Faro, and second of all, Gill and I don't qualify to fly RyanAir."

He said, "Neither of us has a tatooo, nor a shell soot."  

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum

I fully understand your Son going for the cheaper option of flying into Seville as not everyone can afford to fly RYANAIR, but I fear it might be false economy as the cost of getting from Seville to The Algarve would outweigh any savings made by purchasing a cheapo flight. The cheapest options are not always the best.
Tell you Son and his wife that they do infact qualify to fly on RYANAIR as Ryanair welcome people from all walks of life. From "the wealthy" to the people who scrimp and scrape just to get a week in the sun.

In the height of the summer Ryanair fly in more than 25,000 people to The Algarve per week. Take Ryanair out of the equation and I am afraid it would be hard times ahead for the bar and restuarant owners in The Algarve.

Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 10:31
Plus the majority of the people with a tattoo or shell suit are probably on the Alicante or Tenerife flight,  Wink

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Posted By: el birnn
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:06
Originally posted by Seefood Seefood wrote:

He said, "Neither of us has a tatooo, nor a shell soot."  

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum

I fully understand your Son going for the cheaper option of flying into Seville as not everyone can afford to fly RYANAIR, but I fear it might be false economy as the cost of getting from Seville to The Algarve would outweigh any savings made by purchasing a cheapo flight. The cheapest options are not always the best.
Tell you Son and his wife that they do infact qualify to fly on RYANAIR as Ryanair welcome people from all walks of life. From "the wealthy" to the people who scrimp and scrape just to get a week in the sun.

In the height of the summer Ryanair fly in more than 25,000 people to The Algarve per week. Take Ryanair out of the equation and I am afraid it would be hard times ahead for the bar and restuarant owners in The Algarve.

I dont really agree on that..Summer holiday flights are always much more expensive, and by going via seville there is a lot of money to be saved.
Been flying in the last 2 years via seville from holland with my 2 kids. Return ticket (vuelling.com out and ryanair back) totalled 160€ per person...had i opted for the direct flight to faro back and forth,the price was 920€ per person...
Simple calculation left me with 2280 € to get back and forth from seville....
On top of that flights left at normal times and not p*** in the morning..plus the fact than when travelling with kids,isla magica is like 5 min away from seville airport....
Will be flying in again this summer via seville ...for sure

-------------
Nunc bibendum est

Posted By: Seefood
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:33
El Birnn
I take your point, you are of course correct, and well done for finding a low cost method of getting to where you want to go using two different airlines (Ryanair and Vue) without paying exhorbitant prices. I think you have just proved that it is perfectly OK to travel to The Algarve (Albufeira) using low cost air travel.
P.S. Are you a professional fisherman by any chance?

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:45
Originally posted by el birnn el birnn wrote:

had i opted for the direct flight to faro back and forth,the price was 920€ per person...

Wow, that's really over the top. Who was that with?
We've been coming here for 10 years at all times of the year, including spells in either July or August during the summers and we've never paid more than about £150 return each - usually a lot less.

Usually fly Easyjet from either Luton or Stansted, have used BMI, Ruinair, Monarch, BA & TAP (avoid at all costs) on occassions but I've never ever seen prices like €920 each - not even business class on BA.

You can get an all inclusive package holiday for 2 weeks for that sort of money or even less.

Have you not looked into flying Amsterdam to the UK then UK to Faro?

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 13:48
i actually dont mind ryanair - for the short trip faro they are ideal - i dont want to spend lots on my flight - i prefer to have the money in my pocket to enjoy my hols - and saying that i have just seen a return deal with ryanair flying out on 22 may from east mids for one week for £89 - how good is that - looks like i could be there sooner than i had anticipated!!Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 14:08
I have just flown Jet2 out and Ryanair back, Jet2 was £60 and Ryanair was £30. I am not bothered who I fly with, I can put up with it for 3 hours to ensure I can get to Albufeira !! 

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Posted By: J2me
Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 14:10
It's a great deal all right.

I wish that Ryanair offered fares like this ex-Dublin. They just are not a low cost airline anymore. Ryanair just aim to be a few bob cheaper than Aer Lingus and take advantage of the deal they have regarding taxes at Faro while Aer Lingus continue to pay the full cost on every seat. Aer Lingus just don't know how to compete. Did you know that Ryanair own a big chunk of Aer Lingus? (Smell a conflict of interest for consumers anywhere folks!!)

I wish Jet2 or Easy Jet would start-up a base in Faro like Ryanair and provide real competition. I assume the latest posturing from EasyJet is to push for much reduced costs, similar to Ryanair. EasyJet possibly feel that Ryanair are getting too good a deal at Faro and that deal is compromising them too.

Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 15:08
What annoys me about Ryanair is the encryption process you now have to fill in to check out the cost of a flight. Why is it needed? It has put me right off.

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 16:38
It make it impossible for other web based firms to sell their (Ryanair) flights. They don't like the idea of that at all.

Date Posted: 29/February/2012 at 17:31
BTW, after April there are no Easyjet flights from Stansted to Faro - they have been moved to Southend.

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 06/March/2012 at 12:08
Use Ryanair all the time from Leeds/Bradford at  least 4 times a year. In the last 7+ years we have only ever had one flight that was not on time.
We have just had return flights for 3 for £150, I can`t see why people knock them all the time all I want to do is get from here to Faro as cheap as possible.
Take seat, reading material out, headphones on, 2 hours 40 minutes later land in Faro.
We plan our trips around Ryanair flight prices and have had return flights for £12.
To avoid the £5 each way charge get a Ryanair passport card which is a prepaid cash card takes a couple of days to sort out £10 fees avoided on return flight. Simple.

Date Posted: 06/March/2012 at 15:27
I was pricing flights yesterday for this summer. From Dublin, AerLingus are a lot cheaper than Ryanair (€230 v's more than €350 return). Ryanair are so expensive now that I am suspicious that something is up.

Yet Ryanair continue to offer true low cost flights from the UK and many other countries, but there has to be a reason why this is not so from Dublin. I admit that there will be a few reasons. Here is one possibility;

Ryanair own a decent chunk of AerLingus, having tried to buy it on a few occasions. They lost a whole lot of money because the AerLingus shares they now own are worth only a fraction of what they paid for them. What was happening was that Ryanair was strangling AerLingus through low cost flights - and by doing so, Ryanair were actually hurting themselves.

Ryanair have changed some business stategies in the last year or two, now delivering a return for shareholders, something that they never did before. Plus the fact that Ryanair has given-up trying to buy AerLingus (it will never be allowed by the competition authority anyway).

So, in order to increase the value of those AerLingus shares before they are offered for sale, Ryanair could make it so that AerLingus suddenly fill more flights and become more and more profitable. The value of AerLingus shares would rise, and when it makes sense, Ryanair could sell their AreLingus shares to whoever will buy them for a higher price.

The following month, Ryanair would probably go about their normal business of beating-up AerLingus on price again.  It is just a suspicion. Wink

Date Posted: 06/March/2012 at 15:43
Well reading all this and people on here saying Ryanair were ok, I spent ten minutes at lunchtime comparing their costs for Birmingham Faro return against Monarch on the same dates, I picked one week in April, away from Easter, mid-week depart.
Monarch, like for like, no hold baggage, no pre booked seat, just the basics, were cheaper than Ryanair.
Add pre-booked seats, a hold bag and Monarch were considerably cheaper.
Shh.. perhaps I shouldn't be telling them this! LOL!
At least I satisfied my curiosity!

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 06/March/2012 at 16:01
If I was going shopping for a new telly I would compare prices and what I was getting for my buck before I actually purchased the TV.
Buying a flight to FARO is no different. I compare flight dates and prices before i buy. I would have no problem flying with Monarch, Ryanair, Jet2, Easyjet or BA as they are all much the same anyway.
I agree with Tonisdad I just want to get there as quick as possible and for as little money as possible.

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 06/March/2012 at 16:07
I'll second that.
Of course, having done that comparison and found what I found, it's not to say on another date I'd find the reverse.  Prices fluctuate all the time depending on how well the flight is selling, or not, so it's always worth doing a trawl to see what's on offer at what price.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: tiganut
Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 09:25
A couple of years ago it was possible to get flights that were cheap enough to come over for a long weekend,now it is costing me £250+ to fly over midweek,& return at the weekend.I know fuel prices are through the roof,but I can get a weeks package for that.

-------------
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 10:07
I have just returned from a long weekend Thursday to Monday, Jet 2 out £50 Ryanair back £30, including fees and taxes. An added bonus was the car hire at 30 euro for the five days !    Thumbs Up 

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 12:45
Brilliant rates John. Was the car from ECH or did you manage to do something special?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 13:29
Me and the boss lady are flying out tomorrow tea time with Ryanair for a week. Return ticket with a suitcase each from Leeds Bradford £100 each. Im happy with the price.
Transfer €60 hotel £80 for two. Can't go wrong :-)

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 13:39
Hi John, I used Economy Car Rentals and have done for years. I have been happy with them, pick up car with full tank of fuel and return with full tank of fuel, simples  Smile

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Posted By: floozie
Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 17:23
Hi S1gh, what did you stay for such a cheap rate as we are hoping to get over in two weeks time

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 18:50
Hi Floozie, we booked to stay in villa Recife through "hotels4u" but they have moved us to hotel auramar as they over booked, they have even upgraded us too bed and breakfast as an apology. Not where we wanted to stay originally but nothing wrong with trying somewhere new.

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 21:53
Thanks John. ECH have always had good recommendations on here so I booked them this evening. Great value all right. Cheaper than going direct to the companies. That's buying power.

Date Posted: 08/March/2012 at 21:59
Yes John, and build your loyalty points up to 100 and you'll get a further 5% off!

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Jocelyn
Date Posted: 04/September/2012 at 22:40
anyone else watching for april 2013 flights onwards to appear on ryanair....i'm checking every day. i think they came out late september last year

-------------

Date Posted: 04/September/2012 at 23:05
well going off the price of this years flights for Sept & Nov  I am not expecting any bargains apart from Ryanair being cheaper but not that cheap as to what we have been used to in the past. Ridiculous prices with Jet2 & Monarch from Manchester.

-------------
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.

Posted By: JulieC
Date Posted: 04/September/2012 at 23:42
We are hoping to get out towards the end of the month but as you say the price of flights are ridiculous.  I have never seen them so expensive.  I looked at package hols to Albufeira for the same dates out of curiosity, and they are charging over £700 for a week b&b in Cerro Alagoa.  What's going on!!

-------------
julie

Posted By: Avril
Date Posted: 05/September/2012 at 09:06
Newcastle flights are ridiculous too. Xmas and new Year silly prices. By contrast we are probably driving down at the end of October and the ferry fares are half what they were in the summer!

-------------
Consistently inconsistent, Esse sou eu!

Date Posted: 05/September/2012 at 09:15
Ferry interesting... oh, I'm gonna regret starting that again aren't I? LOL!

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 05/September/2012 at 09:21
LOL - yes you are!! I could get ferry annoyed with youWink

-------------

Date Posted: 05/September/2012 at 09:44
I had a look a couple of weeks ago for a possible visit in November.
I searched for a full package on the travel republic site, was pleasantly surprised.
Car park at Manchester, day time flights, private transfer, BB at the hotel above the tunnel (forgot the name) 4* sea view and extra baggage, £550 for 2 adults.
Not looked in the last couple of weeks as still not sure if we can sort the time off yet.

Posted By: carolenclive
Date Posted: 05/September/2012 at 13:13
We are over for a week in Nov staying in Oura at Quinta pedra dos bicos s/c.Flying from Manchester am flights with Monarch and private transfer £411 for the 2 of us.Didnt think that was too bad.Just hope the weather is good.

-------------
caz

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 11:27
Had another look on travel republic last night and if your flexible on dates (mid week flights) and your not a airline snob they are offering flights from Manchester from £60 plus baggage. Tempting!!!!

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 11:50
Problem is when booking flights as part of a so called package with companies such as Travelrepublic  are not live prices for the flights, lots of flights booked through Travelrepublic are with Ryanair and not confirmed straight away by email. You then pays your money to Travel republic only to find an email the day after stating the cost of the flight has increased. Loads of complaints re this on  Tripadvisor bargain travel forum.So be wary.
The info below is on every page of travelrepublic's website page, I bet not many people read it

Travelrepublic is a travel search website acting as agent only. Each product (eg' Flights, hotel or car hire) has its own price independent of any other products booked at the same time and creates a seperate contract directly between you and the provider of that product.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 12:08
Interesting. On the back of this thread I did some searching last night for flights over October half term and mid week to mid week, Monarch from Birmingham return was, I thought, very good,  Â£110pp. 
Given that it's half term, and the gist of this thread, I was pleasantly surprised.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 12:43
Hi Jayjan

I always book through Travel Republic using a credit card and I dont doubt for a minute what you say is correct but I have never had any bother with TR as far as flights going up after I have booked them.

I have twice received a full refund from TR for cancelled flights. once when the volcano in Iceland erupted and othe other time was when I had to cancell due to being ill.
Thay also re-imbursed me 37.5 euros for a return transport that did not turn up.
A friend of mine aslo swears by Icelolly, but I have never used them.

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 14:00
Ally I too have used travel republic but only for accommodation,(I always book flights direct with airline) & never had a problem with them but you can't believe how many complaints re flights & hotels cancelled when travel is imminent, also people turning up at hotel only to find they are not booked in. Travel republic as said is only a travel search website as stated in previous post, all their bookings are done through a third party, many people don't read the terms & conditions  on  travelrepublic website  that the  contract is between them (the booker)  and the provider of such (Flights/Accomm etc)  and blame travel republic for it.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 14:44
Easyjet flights to London (Gatwick, Southend, Luton) for April to end of June 2013 are now available.
Didn't check any other UK departure airports but presumably these are either up now or will be soon.

Just booked from 7th to 29th May to from Luton.
2 people return, hand luggage only & absolutely no rip off extras, for a total £128 (i.e. £64 each).
This includes a £9 Administration Fee + Debit Card Fee

Overall, not bad Smile

PS - you can now pre-book seats, for a fee (from £3 per person per flight), if you feel the need.
If not they are "automatically allocated" so it looks like Speedy Boarding has been ditched.

Stansted is still a no go airport for Faro

-------------

Posted By: malagabob
Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 20:04
After reading your post Dice went on the easyjet site for flights from Bristol 2013.
Did a search booking for last week in June.  error message came back flights only available up to 16th of June so did a searcch for 1 week 9th-16th.
Days and prices came up.Logged off, by the time I informed other family members of flight days and prices, logged back on, got error message flights only available untill March 24th 2013 ??
Thing is I checked Glasgow-Faro as some of family live nearer there for that week prices and days came up, but prices were to dear. Now they are only available till end of March 2013 ??

-------------
Never put off something that you could do today

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 20:33
I've just been on the Newcastle flight search and the diary comes up with up to the end of June. When you try and book them it says you can only book up to the end of March. This is usually because they have just updated the diary but not the actual flights and they usually follow within 48 hours (my experience in the past). Keep looking over the next few days Malagabob:-) x

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 20:38
Am more confused now. Checked their flight timetable and flight times prices are being displayed up till June 15th June 2013, but still getting error message " only available till March 24th 2013 whenI try and book.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 21:00
Check back in a day or two it'll have sorted itself out:-)

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 21:49
Big smileHave just booked Avril.Smile Weird thing was had to log in to get those June dates/prices up ??? So thats next March and June sorted.
Bringing my 2 sons, their partners and grandchildren. It will be their 1st time to Albufeira and Portugal.
 Babs and myself off to Kos for a week this Saturday, another Mythos please barman.Beer

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 21:51
great stuff seeing the easyjet flights are released....aerlingus usually follow shortly after themSmile

-------------

Posted By: LIBBY
Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 22:20
Aer Lingus flights from Belfast are out until the end of August Jocelyn.  We have already booked for June 2013.

-------------
Algarve - The closest thing to heaven !

Posted By: alan&alice
Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 22:29
We've just booked easy jet to and from gatwick 13th - 20th april 2013 for alice's birthday.
just under £140 including fees etc for us both.thats next years 1st visit sortedBig smile

-------------
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/albufeira/481652

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 23:18
Gosh  Alan I wish we could get flights as cheap from Manchester, even booking well in advance, now  Monarch want £290 & Jet2 £280, thats with one bag, putting in  same dates as you. Ryanair aint even showing flights for those dates as yet.

-------------

Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 23:31
malagabob - just checked Bristol & would have had no problems booking 9th - 16th June if I'd wanted to.

Currently showing £29.99 going out, £82.99 coming back

-------------

Posted By: alan&alice
Date Posted: 06/September/2012 at 23:41
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

Gosh  Alan I wish we could get flights as cheap from Manchester, even booking well in advance, now  Monarch want £290 & Jet2 £280, thats with one bag, putting in  same dates as you. Ryanair aint even showing flights for those dates as yet.

I thought libby said somewhere they were?
Ah no,it was airlingus she was talking about.Ashamed

-------------
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/albufeira/481652

Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 08:14
Originally posted by LIBBY LIBBY wrote:

Aer Lingus flights from Belfast are out until the end of August Jocelyn.  We have already booked for June 2013.

cheers libbys....dublin aerlingus flights must be due out any day so :)

-------------

Posted By: nosivad
Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 09:38
EasyJet have just announced they are stopping their speedy boarding arrangements in favour of seat allocation on line and at check in; £12 a go !! more revenue for them, but at least it should stop the usual rugby scrum situation.

Posted By: Linda
Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 09:51
I hate this paying to queue jump idea. I refuse to do it out of principle. 
It really grates on me,  people walking ahead of you in a queue. 
Why not just wait patiently - it's not as if the plane is going to leave without you. We all get on and seated in the end. Stern Smile

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 10:18

Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by nosivad nosivad wrote:

EasyJet have just announced they are stopping their speedy boarding arrangements in favour of seat allocation on line and at check in; £12 a go !! more revenue for them, but at least it should stop the usual rugby scrum situation.

prices shown on Easyjet website:Price per seat per flight
£12 for extra legroom seats
£8 for up front seats
£3 for any other seat

-------------

Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 11:02
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

Originally posted by nosivad nosivad wrote:

prices shown on Easyjet website:Price per seat per flight
£12 for extra legroom seats
£8 for up front seats
£3 for any other seat

Just to be clear, you do not have to pay anything for seats.
If you choose not to pay then your seats will simply be allocated by easyJet. For most flights this will no doubt mean that you will be allocated seats together anyway so why give money to easyJet for nothing.
Even if you don't get seats together it's not such a bad thing - I can easily put up with not sitting next to the missus for a couple of hours, in fact I'd welcome it Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 11:23
I'd rather pay and choose. As a slightly nervous flyer (huge improvement on the terrified to the seat of my pants flyer that I was a year ago) I don't like sitting beside the wings and would rather pay so that I can have a seat near the back as that's my preference. I would also want a seat next to my hubby as strangers don't like it when you grab them and leave them with nail marks and bruises from hanging onto them for grim deathOuch

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 19:55

Posted By: Wireman
Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 21:58
Also they don't reverse into mountainsTongue.

-------------
Regular Visitor

Date Posted: 07/September/2012 at 23:19
rolling on the floor That's AV sorted then Wink

-------------

Posted By: windmillhill
Date Posted: 08/September/2012 at 06:32

Wonder if anyone can explain this?  I'd been checking a few times every day for weeks for the EasyJet flights to be released, and lo and behold as soon as we came down to Cornwall they suddenly appeared.  Lost track of the days now, but found the calendars had been updated as far as June in the early morning, so alerted daughter and one of our friends that it was probably imminent. At that time when I pressed Show Flights, it was still saying "route only available till 24 March".

Kept trying, same, same, same, whether signed in or out.  Then in the afternoon daughter rang to say she could book (we were still getting same message).  Rang friend and she could also book (we still couldn't!).  So both holidays were sorted, luckily, cos our half term £31 pound flight was £101 when we checked a few hours later!  But we didn't get past the "only till 24 March" message till much later in the day, possibly early evening, so I would love to know how this works.  Is it geographical?  Can't be anything to do with loyalty, as we're always using EJ.

Anyone got any ideas? Confused

-------------
http://www.algarve-windmillhill.co.uk - www.algarve-windmillhill.co.uk
Penthouse apartment with spectacular views

Posted By: JulieC
Date Posted: 08/September/2012 at 09:40
Maybe it's because the system was overloaded it couldnt cope and had a "glitch".  It doesn't take long for word to get out when easyjet flights are released!  Whilst I was on checking dates for May, then skipped to June then back to May only to find the earlier dates had gone up, without me even logging off.

-------------
julie

Posted By: Super Bock
Date Posted: 08/September/2012 at 10:45
It changes quickly booked 4 return flights for 2 of us yesterday £738 today eldest decided he would come as well went to book his and they were working out 879 ! 2nd of June flight we paid 20.99 for yesterday today £200!!

Date Posted: 08/September/2012 at 12:33
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Just booked from 7th to 29th May to from Luton.
2 people return, hand luggage only & absolutely no rip off extras, for a total £128 (i.e. £64 each).
This includes a £9 Administration Fee + Debit Card Fee

Now being quoted £172 - gone up £44 in 2 days

-------------

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 09/September/2012 at 16:26
Windillhill, this is similar to what happened to me. Woke up and checked the app on iphone and said the flights were available but when I tried to book it came up "flights only available up to 24th march. Did exactly the same on laptop but then thought I'd have a go with the app on the ipad and was able to book with no problem. Got flights from Belfast to Faro for £45 return over easter weekend. A couple of hours later and the flights were over a ton. You have to be quick for the cheapies.

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Date Posted: 10/September/2012 at 06:07
Yes, I know the system well which is why I've been checking since August (we booked for May/June 2012 on 11 August 2011) so the flights were out much later this year.  It just seems odd that some people were able to get through the "only available till 24 March" barrier several hours earlier than others.  If there is a reason for the delay on our laptop, I'd like to understand it so I might be able to avoid it in future! Stern Smile

Anyway, all's well that ends well ........... now just waiting for September's flights to be released! Wink

-------------

Posted By: Rava
Date Posted: 10/September/2012 at 12:52
One of the things I found with the London flights was that the prices only came up when you selected London - all airports, but not when you selected each individual airport. Also interestingly although we are on the easyjet early mailing list we have still not received email telling us flights are on sale!

Date Posted: 10/September/2012 at 13:23
Originally posted by Rava Rava wrote:

although we are on the easyjet early mailing list we have still not received email telling us flights are on sale!

Me too - I usually get an email about 2 weeks after the flights have been released which in all honesty is not a lot of use.

-------------

Posted By: toffeelady
Date Posted: 10/September/2012 at 14:10
windmillhill, ive found that a problem too, i was waiting to book our return flight from lanzarote for march, kept checking but kept getting "dates only available up to blah blah, was getting very annoyed cos i knew the flights had been released, but then was told by someone that if you just select the route that you want ie: liverpool-faro, but leave the date as that day, it brings up the flights for that week, there is a option then to view either a 3 day view, 3 week view or the year view, if you click on the year view it brings up the months (think it only goes as far as june for now) just select which month you want and it brings the dates and prices up.

i did this booked the flight that i wanted, went back on 10 mins later and the same message was coming up, only on sale til march??????

Date Posted: 11/September/2012 at 07:12
Thanks Rava and toffeelady - seems there are more ways to skin a cat .......... will try all suggestions if it happens again!

-------------

Date Posted: 19/September/2012 at 13:24

Ryanair is 'courting disaster' by flying planes with near-empty fuel tanks to cut costs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2205314/Ryanair-courting-disaster-flying-planes-near-fuel-tanks-cut-costs.html

-------------

Posted By: nosivad
Date Posted: 28/September/2012 at 10:08
Has anyone done any research on wether it would be cheaper to say buy a package holiday then just not turn up at transfer and hotel  ?
what are the legal implementations etc I would think it does not matter, you have paid after all ?
The reason behind all of this is we can only come over in the school holiday periods and usually 4 times a year but of l;ate the price of flights have gone silly and there does not appear to be any cheapo's even in Feb. Angry

Date Posted: 28/September/2012 at 10:53
Not too sure but if you have turned up for the flight then they would surely be looking for you at the airport to take you onward. To not be there would probably hold everyone else up whilst they searched for you! Think at least you should find the rep and tell them. Doubt after that they could do anything about it, as you say you've paid after all.

-------------

Posted By: cheekygirl
Date Posted: 28/September/2012 at 11:05
I have often thought that would be a good idea, but to scared to try it!!!

-------------
Loving it in the sun

Posted By: Dragonfly
Date Posted: 28/September/2012 at 12:51
I worked as a holiday rep many years ago and we quite often had "no shows"or people who had booked the full package just for the flight, as Avril said it would be nice to let the reps or transfer company know that you arrived so they don't have to wait but in my experience there was never any problems from the company or hotels for no show as long as it was all paid.

Posted By: animallover
Date Posted: 28/September/2012 at 13:35
Hi all

Desperately (saddo that I am!) waiting on easyJet summer 2013 from Glasgow to go on sale but don't know what the hold up is as I had already booked this time last year for the summer gone! Jet2 prices are sky high but really good flight times.  Ryanair not on sale either.

Date Posted: 28/September/2012 at 14:41
Just had a look at Jet2 for Newcastle flights and you're right, next summer's prices are sky high:-( You can bet the other airlines will have hiked their prices up too! Can't wait to see!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk