Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedObtaining a Fiscal Card

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obtaining a Fiscal Card
    Posted: 15/March/2017 at 14:57
We have purchased a property in Albufeira within the last couple of years. At the time of purchase, we registered with the tax department. We were given our fiscal numbers, and provided with temporary paper copies of this. At the time, we were informed that we would be sent fiscal cards in due course. These cards have so far not been received, and the paper certification has now expired.
My husband had a conversation with our bank manager yesterday, and was informed that we should by now have the cards, and that we would need to provide these for any future financial dealings with them, or any other financial institutions. The manager also said that the cards could be obtained via the 'Financas'
Looking for advice from anyone who has experienced this situation, or who might be able to advise us about how to obtain the cards, and whether or not they should have been sent to us as routine before the expiry of the temporary certificates.
Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2017 at 16:48
I think your only option is to go back to the finances dept opp the town hall, armed with all your paperwork and they will renew your current papers, which are always valid everywhere, and hopefully get the issuing of the plastic card sorted.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2017 at 16:50
Bought our property in 2002 - we never received Fiscal Cards either.
Never been asked for them in 15 years so don't really see the point of them.
As long as you have a record of the number somewhere I think that will surfice.
You can print a paper version off from the Financas website if you are registered and think you might need them.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2017 at 19:16
Originally posted by Cooknoe Cooknoe wrote:

We have purchased a property in Albufeira within the last couple of years. At the time of purchase, we registered with the tax department. We were given our fiscal numbers, and provided with temporary paper copies of this. At the time, we were informed that we would be sent fiscal cards in due course. These cards have so far not been received, and the paper certification has now expired.
My husband had a conversation with our bank manager yesterday, and was informed that we should by now have the cards, and that we would need to provide these for any future financial dealings with them, or any other financial institutions. The manager also said that the cards could be obtained via the 'Financas'
Looking for advice from anyone who has experienced this situation, or who might be able to advise us about how to obtain the cards, and whether or not they should have been sent to us as routine before the expiry of the temporary certificates.

I got a fiscal number about two years ago. I was given an A4 sized sheet of paper with number and other details on. Never any mention of plastic I just have the number on my phone. I also didn`t know it expired after so long.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2017 at 08:21
Ours came via. our conveyancing Solicitor, took only a couple of weeks. Unlike Dicey we have loads of places, Leroy, Conforama, Makro, Garcia... ask us for the card or number every time, they happily take a shrugged shoulders or a no and move on but they do always ask.
Andrew
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2017 at 09:18
Just to clarify, been asked for the number but never for the card.
However, we don't get ask for the number very often -
  • Bought kitchen & bathroom in Leroy, wasn't asked
  • Bought bed and mattress in Conforama, wasn't asked
  • Bought TV, DVD player, coffee machine in Worten, wasn't asked
  • Bought fridge in Radio Poplar, wasn't asked
  • Bought washing maching, A/C, tumble dyer and freezer from Tenazinha, never asked
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2017 at 09:28
I was told some time back that the plastic cards are no longer issued.  So long as you make a note of the number on the original paperwork, that's sufficient so you can tell them if it's needed.

You normally get asked for a fiscal number if you want a official 'fatura' receipt for tax reclaim purposes. Your fiscal number is then included. I had to buy a new laptop yesterday (old one died) and the salesman did ask, I said not needed.

You do need it to to pay utility bills, IMI etc.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/March/2017 at 09:42
We have been asked for the actual card for getting residencia, changing driving license to Portuguese, registering at the health centre, getting an in-store loyalty card, and for putting property on the market. So basically unless you live here and pay tax here, you don't need the card as long as you know the number and as Cubsur says, have the original paperwork (although places like Leroy Merlin do often ask for your number).   
Go away Duchatalet
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2017 at 18:11
According to our tax people, the cards are no longer issued (They said that they finished in 2008). I am surprised that our Bank Manager didn't seem to know this.
The tax people have reissued the paper certificate that we were originally given and have simply crossed out the expiry date and noted that the certificate is valid until further notice!!
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2017 at 12:24
Originally posted by Cooknoe Cooknoe wrote:

According to our tax people, the cards are no longer issued (They said that they finished in 2008). I am surprised that our Bank Manager didn't seem to know this.
The tax people have reissued the paper certificate that we were originally given and have simply crossed out the expiry date and noted that the certificate is valid until further notice!!

That explains why I have never had one. Only place where I need it is for internet bill...in fact that was the only reason I got it in the first place.
Odd place sometimes ask for number when making purchase but do not insist on it.
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2017 at 21:02
They ask so as hey can give you an official fatura. You can only use it for income tax purposes if your fiscal number is shown on the fatura. This is why they ask but don't insist.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic