Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » The Portuguese Culture / A Cultura Portuguesa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New roundabout laws in Portugal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyhsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New roundabout laws in Portugal
    Posted: 22/December/2013 at 20:07
WHAT? do the same in Portugal as the rest of the world, surely not. They'll be using indicators next, now where's the fun in that?

http://tadenoite.com/novas-alteracoes-ao-codigo-da-estrada-partir-de-01012014/
Sponsored Links

Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2013 at 21:51
should be fun Wendy, wonder how many will take any notice of them. The swapping of  lanes on approaching 3rd & 4th exits should cause some havoc, especially if the exit  roads go into single lane, using mirrors & indicators is essential.  
I was always taught the way the drawing depicts and  have always used it so I can't see the difference, does anyone know what the change is in the law? not read the website as it won't load up properly.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
wendyhsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyhsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2013 at 22:36
You can right click on the link and load it but this is the automatic translation... LOL

I don't fancy being a cyclist too much, or an animal really.... especially seeing as drivers can use the most convenient route, ha ha

Circulation in Roundabouts: - The conductor wishing to leave the roundabout at the first exit, must occupy the right lane; - The driver who wishes to leave the Rotunda in other outlets, should only occupy the route of more traffic right after passing the immediately preceding output that where you want to quit. Drivers of animal-drawn vehicles or animals, cycles and heavy vehicles, they can always move the rightmost path, notwithstanding the obligation to provide the output to drivers traversing the roundabout. Notwithstanding these rules, drivers should use the more convenient transit route to your destination. below You can see examples of how to move correctly.
Bedlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2013 at 22:59
So how I was taught in the UK then (many moons ago) but just watch the solid lines on roundabout/junction approach/exit's.

Will this improve the existing "convenient" practice of using the right hand lane to exit left at roundabouts? (I doubt it)
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 00:07
Originally posted by Bedlam Bedlam wrote:

So how I was taught in the UK then (many moons ago) but just watch the solid lines on roundabout/junction approach/exit's.

What solid lines/junction approach/exits, do they exist, must go to specsavers  Smile
DICEYUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 04:49
Presumably, the U-turn route on the right hand diagram, that shows you how to go back to where you have just come from, is for those that are either lost or have forgotten where they're going.
I hate how people compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Wireman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 12:47
Or for drivers who are driving from Branqueira/Olhos direction who are going to say Bombay Palace and require to go all the way round the roundabout.
Regular Visitor
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 14:38
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

should be fun Wendy, wonder how many will take any notice of them. The swapping of  lanes on approaching 3rd & 4th exits should cause some havoc, especially if the exit  roads go into single lane, using mirrors & indicators is essential.  
I was always taught the way the drawing depicts and  have always used it so I can't see the difference, does anyone know what the change is in the law? not read the website as it won't load up properly.

Previously if you were on the inside lane because you wanted to go straight on or left, and then you cross the outside lane to get to your exit ( as you have to, of course ) and someone was in the outside lane dozily going round in circles, or turning left, and you have an accident, it was your fault, because you had changed lanes ( even though it would be impossibly to exit the roundabout without doing so ). Basically when they introduced roundabouts to Portugal, they didn't bother to change the law that said anyone crossing from one lane to another would be the responsible party in the event of a collision. Perfect sense on a straight dual carriageway, ridiculous on a roundabout. Needless to say I found out the hard way...
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 15:04
so even now with the new rule the fault still lies with the person swapping lanes when exiting, hence use of mirrors and signals, or am I misunderstanding you Perry. Also the only lane you can now supposedly use within the law  when going straight on or turning  right is the outside (righthand) lane, mmm I bet that will never apply to lots when going straight on, seen many on globe roundabout using  inside (left) lane going straight on because its still a dual lane at other side. I am now confusing myself duff!!!
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 16:50
Lets see them apply it to our roundabout at quatro estradas where all 4 lanes entering the roundabout are double lanes and 3 out of 4 exit lanes are single lanes! < id="adlesse_unifier_magic_element_id" style="display: none;">
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2013 at 17:19
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

so even now with the new rule the fault still lies with the person swapping lanes when exiting, hence use of mirrors and signals, or am I misunderstanding you Perry. Also the only lane you can now supposedly use within the law  when going straight on or turning  right is the outside (righthand) lane, mmm I bet that will never apply to lots when going straight on, seen many on globe roundabout using  inside (left) lane going straight on because its still a dual lane at other side. I am now confusing myself duff!!!

Well I assumed not Poli, but now you say it, that could be the case? And I certainly read it as left or u-turn only in the inside Lane though. Clear as mud...
wendyhsmith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wendyhsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2013 at 10:53
So I think its best I dozily go round in the right lane then? I think thats what I will do.
What about if someone hits you up the backside? Someone told me that contrary to the UK, it would be my fault.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/December/2013 at 12:28
seems so Wendy especially if you are swapping lanes when  (ie using 3rd & 4th exits), its a bit unclear as Perry says .The right hand lane is supposed to be used only for turning right and going straight on (2nd exit). If you use the right hand lane for 3rd & 4th exits you would NOT be swapping any  lanes but according to the picture it would be against the new law. Take your car & your life into your own hands syndrome  applies, so drive with care and use  mirrors and indicators.
Bedlam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bedlam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/March/2014 at 19:37
Seems The Highway Code now requires you to have your Fiscal Card (or a copy of the document they now issue instead of a card) along with your ID, Drivers Licence and Insurance Document when driving.
No doubt so they can trace you for your fine, which you can now pay in instalments if over 200 euro.
http://www.algarvedailynews.com/features/legal/1457-changes-in-the-portuguese-highway-code
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/March/2014 at 21:26
Ian I am of the understanding it only applies to registered residents. I have a fiscal card  like you but won't be carrying it around with me,  I will just say I am on holiday if we are stopped, as I don't live there. How can they prove any different if you are not resident.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic