Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMobile internet/hotspot/WiFi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mobile internet/hotspot/WiFi
    Posted: 30/July/2016 at 07:54
I'm in Albufeira again in a couple of weeks time and I need to look at getting WiFi installed into my apartment (often requested by the guests).

I don't really want to take out a contract as the apartment is only rented for 3 or 4 months of the year, so sits empty for much of the time.

I've been looking at the pay-as-you-go services from MEO

https://www.meo.pt/internet/internet-movel/tarifarios/pc-tablet/pre-pagos

its 20 euro for 30 days usage and up to 30GB data.

Does anybody use a MEO service - are the connection speeds okay?  Any other deals worth knowing about?
Sponsored Links

stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:03
Almost answering my own questions here!

Just noticed that NOS have improved their offering

https://www.nos.pt/particulares/internet/internet-movel/tarifarios/Paginas/tarifarios-por-carregamento.aspx#tab1

20 euro for 30 days with unlimited data

I also need to be able to top-up remotely, hopefully this can be done online outside of Portugal!

Where are the nearest phone shops to the old town area?
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:07
Stuart we use Vodafone hotspot that costs 25.99 euro a month it is supposed to be unlimited but when we get to 100Gb at end of month is starts buffering a bit.
We have two or three of us on the internet all the time and TV on about 5 nights a week on average so most likely use more than average holiday guest.
It`s a contract but not fixed when we come home for a couple of months we just suspend it.
I suppose reception depends on how near to a mast you are.
It has not been viable for us to get a fixed tv/internet/phone as not had our own place all year.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:08
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Stuart we use Vodafone hotspot that costs 25.99 euro a month it is supposed to be unlimited but when we get to 100Gb at end of month is starts buffering a bit.
We have two or three of us on the internet all the time and TV on about 5 nights a week on average so most likely use more than average holiday guest.
It`s a contract but not fixed when we come home for a couple of months we just suspend it.
I suppose reception depends on how near to a mast you are.
It has not been viable for us to get a fixed tv/internet/phone as not had our own place all year.

Vodafone are in Modelo and Algarve shopping.
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:37

Didn't know you could do that, may make it more feasible to take a contract.  Do you have to phone them to suspend or can you do it online ? 
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:44
Originally posted by stuart123 stuart123 wrote:

Didn't know you could do that, may make it more feasible to take a contract.  Do you have to phone them to suspend or can you do it online ? 

i go in shop but would think online might be an option the girls in shop are always more than helpful.
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 12:53
After many discussions in Albufeira public houses and best advice coming from Algarveaddick, I took out a contract with MEO a few years ago and have been extremely happy with service.
Mine costs €34 per month for landline (never use phone) plus unlimited internet. Speed is usually around 10mb as far as I can remember. We spend half the winter in Albufeira plus rent out during summer months so it's well used.
As Algarveaddick put it to me when I was thinking about it, it works out at about €400 per year which, if you rent out like me, works out at just over half of a weeks rental in the summer. Payment is made with direct debit and invoices emailed every month.
A few years ago tourists wanted SkyTV and air con but nowadays everybody is looking for free WiFi. If you get just one extra rental because of having free WiFi, it will cover the cost for a whole year.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 13:40
Is that 2 year contract Bob?
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/July/2016 at 16:56
Sorry, can't remember for definite but I'm pretty sure it was a 12 month contract. Obviously there are different offer all the time.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2016 at 08:06
All the contracts I have ever seen or signed are for 2 years minimum. There's no refund for early cancellation. Special offers abound with three networks in competition.

I am on MEO at home and service is sufficiently good to deliver HDTV. If you rent the router rather than buy it, someone will come round and fix or replace it if it goes wrong, which mine has once.

I did use a 3G hotspot connection for internet (TV via Satellite)  for a few years but service was very patchy, even though I can see the mast out of my window about half a mile away. It was especially bad in the afternoons when the children are at home from  school.

I would agree that a basic MEO package is a good way to go. The phone can be hidden and would come in handy when you are there especially to receive calls (free!) and make calls most of the time when cheaper than using a UK phone.

Obviously Skype etc video calls are perfectly possible, streaming etc but if six people are on line all at the same time using high bandwidth applications, something has to give.

(Fancy spending £000's on holiday to spend all day on line and never going out.)
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2016 at 13:50
I took the plunge and tried out the NOS pay as you go.

Quick answer, don't bother!

Service works, but can be very slow and very random. I've had 25mbit downloaded speeds, and then a minute later can't get more than 1mbit.

Purchase from worten mobile was easy enough but they didn't register the device correctly so caused me a 14 Euro round trip in taxi 😬

It works, and is cheap, but I'd go elsewhere
kholtham View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2016 at 15:26
I took out a contract with nos @ €28 per month when I bought our apartment 12 months ago I rent the apartment out during the summer but I get out there as often as I can. As I am self employed I still need to work and the internet is vital for me. So far I have never had a problem with speed or buffering. I did try a Vodafone dongle which was useless.
Netflix and uk tv through filmon work great through the internet and is a big selling point when renting out apartments
ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2016 at 11:56
I have a Vodafone contract at 24.99 per month for Internet, Landline and TV. No problems at all.

port princess View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/August/2016 at 15:56
Hi Claire would you kindly advise what tv channels that gives you please price seems really good many thanks
Portprincess
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic