Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMEO Price Increases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MEO Price Increases
    Posted: 18/November/2016 at 10:06
For the last 3 years or more, for a standard month with no International phone calls, I've been paying as follows -

Package (TV, Internet, Phone) 44.99
Equipment 5.50 (less a credit of -5.50) 0.00
Aceros Credit 5.04
Total Month = 44.95

My latetest bill received this morning shows that the package has gone up and I've lost my 2 credits. The cost for the same package is now as follows -

Package (TV, Internet, Phone) 51.99
Equipment 5.50
Total Month = 57.49

So that's an increase of 12.54 per month

We're coming over next week so they'll be getting a phone call 'cause I ain't paying that much.

Anybody else had this and what would be my alternatives if they don't want to play ball?

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2016 at 12:12
your rental equipment was prob only meant to be free for a year then charged, then up to you if you swallow the increase. contract 2 years so you tell them to stuff it. Depends what you need - lots going for the vod dongle with 100gb a month before it throttles. I have same as you but with 3 mobiles and am telling them to get lost next april at end of contract. meo box in loft, never used, dont use home phone and voda will do me for home internet and mobiles + maybe a mobile sim for an ipad or dongle
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2016 at 13:21
Originally posted by peteknopp peteknopp wrote:

your rental equipment was prob only meant to be free for a year then charged

I've had MEO for nearly 12 years so I've probably paid for the equipment 20 times over and even then, if I ditch them, they'll want it all back.
We hardly ever use the TV Box now so all I really need is internet but they only seem to be interested in selling me the whole package. They're forever pestering me about having a mobile phone with them, and I don't want that either.
Their webite shows an ADSL + Phone package for 14.99 a month (22.99 after 3 months).
I'd be more than happy with that but it's probably impossible to get it. 
I'll probably have to tell them to come and collect everything and close my account and see what they come up with

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2016 at 13:21
Hope that doe not happen to us Dicey we are 3 months into a 2 year contract.
Have to agree with pete regards vodafone dongle. When we used it we used to have filmon going most nights from tea time 2 adults on computers and a teenager with an iphone welded to her hand and it was only towards end of month we got any buffering.
Good thing about vodafone dongle you can just go up and say I want it stopping and its stopped and restarted when you come back.I think if its a 3 month break you have to set away again so you get a new telephone number.
Pete just going to start a topic on vodafone dongle
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2016 at 18:55
Mine hasn't changed in price. I have the whoppa package at €57,89 + IVA. I have the umpteen channels including the extra Premium film channels at €10, radio including about 15 UK stations (incl BBC national but not Radio 5) unlimited internet, landline phone and pay a tenner a month extra for the English Premier League football channel, which also gets me one of their other Sports channels from time to time I notice.

I rent my MEO box which is handy as when it went wrong earlier this year it was replaced free of charge the next day.

They too are forever wanting to sell me a mobile, but I have one of their pre pay cheap ones for backup to an Optimus smartphone, so don't need anything else.

I don't sit at home watching UK TV soaps. If I want I can get a decent BBC and ITV picture through FilmOn which at the moment costs nothing.  Watched the Test match cricket on Sky this morning on a pretty decent free stream. Which reminds me, time to find the darts on some hooky stream somewhere.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2016 at 11:52
After 3 previous attempts I managed to speak to someone this morning (9am)
Got straight through, so obviously the best time to call.

After being offered several deals that included a mobile phone, which I don't want, they offered me a package that gets the bill back down to 44.99 a month.
They waived the equipment charge and then given me another credit of 13 Euro per month.
On top of that the package includes these items that I wasn't getting before -
  • increased TV Channels by 60 from 140 to 200
  • 15 Euro per month free viewing on Video Clube
  • free International Calls from 9pm to 9am up to 1,000 minutes per month
24 month deal.
Happy with all that even though it took 46 minutes on the phone.

Strange how these things work but they have to show that you are signing up for a better, more expensive package, even though it will be 2 years down the line until you start paying the full price for it, before they give you a discount. Obviously they are not prepared to give you a similar discount on an existing package.

So the bottom line is I've got a better package than I was getting before, for the same price I was paying on my existing package before my previous deal ran out.

BTW, if you want to make a change then it's 16200, option 4 then option 6.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2016 at 08:42
Definitely worth asking. A friend of mine in UK, when faced with a similar situation from his cable supplier, simply phoned and asked to be disconnected. Seconds later he was being offered all manner of similar inducements to stay.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2016 at 12:11
Interesting that one of the new TV Channels is called Zhit.
Mind you, there's about a hundred of them that could be called that.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic