Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGiro Bus users

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Giro Bus users
    Posted: 09/October/2012 at 14:15
Not sure if this has been mentioned before but you can buy a card from the EVA bus shop in Albufeira and load it with how ever many journeys you might need (although I think the minimum is 10 journeys and you have to pay about €3 for the card initially). I bought one of the cards a couple of years ago and still use it. To top up with 10 journeys cost us €8, which gives a saving of €6 if you paid the usual €1.40.

Once you have your ticket after using the card, you can also use the same ticket for up to 1 hour after you purchased it for any onward journey on the Giro Bus. For example: My partner and I returned by train from Lisbon and got a bus (Orange Line/ Linha Laranja) back to the main bus terminal and then used the same tickets for the journey back to our apartment on the Blue Line/Linha Azul because it was still within the hour.
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2012 at 14:54
Totally correct. The minimum top up is 10 journeys and you can also, as I do, get 20 at a time. I've been using the bus a bit more lately what with knee injury and all that. The card means that you can get from anywhere to anywhere else for 80 cents.

They also sell the cards at the main bus station.

And I am pleased to say that the buses still run every half hour everyday, unlike for example in Portimão and Lagos where weekend service has been totally ended or drastically reduced on most routes.

Now if they would only put some information on the bus stops to tell people what times the buses come and where they go. Simple, yet seems to be beyond them.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Christina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/October/2012 at 12:35
Smile Is there a time limit in which you have to use the card once you have
      loaded it ?
Christina James
PFCGOG View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2012 at 13:19
Originally posted by Christina Christina wrote:

loaded it ?

I don't think so. I used the same card from over a year ago. There was only one small problem though and that is that it didn't accept it because the price had gone up in the intervening time. Otherwise I don't think there's a time limit on it.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/October/2012 at 11:25
Originally posted by PFCGOG PFCGOG wrote:

Originally posted by Christina Christina wrote:

loaded it ?

I don't think so. I used the same card from over a year ago. There was only one small problem though and that is that it didn't accept it because the price had gone up in the intervening time. Otherwise I don't think there's a time limit on it.

Yes, that's right. I think they gave users a couple of weeks grace last time the fares went up, but after that the rides at the old prices became invalid.
Albufeira Resident

pheasant plucker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2013 at 22:53
Would the card be a good idea for us. We are visiting Albufeira for the first time in July and staying at Paraiso de Albufeira. We will probably go to the old town and the Beach regularly and maybe the strip occasionally. Is there a regular bus service passing the Paraiso?
edinjohn1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2013 at 23:21
Hi pheasant plucker

We stayed at the Paraiso de Albufeira last year and the bus stops for the Giro buses are fairly close by. Also, the Paraiso lays on a courtesy minibus service to the old town/beach and back two or three times a day so that's also an option. You could also walk there if you feel up to it.

Have a great time in July, I'm sure you'll absolutely love it. We've been going at least once or twice a year since 07 and can't wait to go back Smile
pheasant plucker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2013 at 23:32
We have 16 year old twins (boy and girl) and are hoping that the hotel suits them !
edinjohn1 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/January/2013 at 23:37
I'm sure they'll have a great time. I usually go self-catering with my mum who's in her 70s but there seems to be plenty of things to do for the younger ones as well Smile
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2013 at 11:19
Originally posted by pheasant plucker pheasant plucker wrote:

Would the card be a good idea for us. We are visiting Albufeira for the first time in July and staying at Paraiso de Albufeira. We will probably go to the old town and the Beach regularly and maybe the strip occasionally. Is there a regular bus service passing the Paraiso?

There is no bus from near Paraiso down into the old town and adjacent beach area and you can walk to the top end of the strip in 10 minutes, so it's probably not worth it.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/January/2013 at 11:23
Albufeira council announced the other day that 1.1 million journeys were taken on the GIRO bus system in 2012. I reckon they could double that if they actually told people where the buses ran and at what times. At most of the bus stops there is either no information at all or it is out of date. Even at the bus station there is only one tiny map, posted inside, and as there is no official timetable published most visitors give up and take taxis or the tourist 'train'.
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2013 at 11:43
As mentioned on other patch about restaurants, I am producing said details for sale in a 24-page Tourist guide due out in late February. I also refer to Tom`s great site www.Algarvebus.info ...

I think the Giro is a great service .

As for the Paraiso, you could get a Giro bus at Modelo or Bellavista ... Green at Modelo takes you to `Flags` escalators in 20 mins goind east first. It is a nice wee run. Or remember the ticket last 1 hour ... so you can take any bus Blue or Vermelha 2 opposite at Bellavista and go to the bus station, where you have a choice of Old Town destinations, Marina, etc .... these are nice runs, particularly, Red out to Cerro D`Aguia and back to Liberdade. You also get to see the whole area ...

Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/January/2013 at 13:23
A bit of a long way around to get to the beach! But you're right, it costs the same no matter where you go on GIRO including one transfer between buses as long as it's within the hour. If you don't mind a free tour around town, it's perfect.

A one day ticket with unlimited rides is €4, buy from the driver.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2013 at 23:25
On previous visits I haven't used the Giro buses through lack of info.  This time I've printed your map and some of the timetables so I reckon I'll see much more of the town.  €1.40 a trip is a good deal.
Thanks for the work you've put into this Cubsur.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
mariae67 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/March/2013 at 08:00
Just wanted to agree with jock, I have never used giro bus, lack of info etc, but will do this visit, thanks to the maps/timetables etc cusbar has put out there feel more confident about using them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic