FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCULTURE SHOCK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: CULTURE SHOCK
    Posted: 14/December/2016 at 14:22
Yesterday was a nice day, so I decided to take a bit of a walk before going to the cinema. So I took a bus to Ferreiras and set off up the road towards the railway. That took me past the primary school. As I drew near I heard music and children yelling etc, they were obviously having some kind of outdoor disco thing out the back. Portuguese sounding song, all very cultural.

As I got nearer the next track came on. I was somewhat shocked to hear the strains of the Hokey Cokey, in English. You know, 

You put your right arm in
your right arm out
In, out, in, out,
You shake it all about.
You do the Hokey Cokey and you turn around
That's what it's all about...

and all that stuff wot our parents and grandparents did in the wawuh. This was accompanied by much screaming and jollity.

What great significance this has to a bunch of kids in Portugal I cannot imagine.

For those of you like to know these things, Black Lace released a version in 1985. The same Black Lace responsible for such cultural milestones as 'Agadoo' and 'El Vino Collapso' among others.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2016 at 14:37
What great significance this has to a bunch of kids in Portugal I cannot imagine.

Probably just the fact that they could sing it in English - doubt if there's many UK schools who could sing it in a Foreign language (or even properly in English Wink)
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2016 at 15:04
Edwin Murstone, the composer of 'the hokey kokey, died last week and all was going well until, at the funeral parlour as they laid him out to rest, they got his left leg in the coffin...........
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2016 at 19:30
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">What great significance this has to a bunch of kids in Portugal I cannot imagine.</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"></span>
Probably just the fact that they could sing it in English - doubt if there's many UK schools who could sing it in a Foreign language (or even properly in English Wink)

I wouldn't be so sure of that,I bet most UK schools could sing it in fluent Polish.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2016 at 19:50
Originally posted by Biggunspaul Biggunspaul wrote:

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">What great significance this has to a bunch of kids in Portugal I cannot imagine.</span>
<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;"></span>

I wouldn't be so sure of that,I bet most UK schools could sing it in fluent Polish.

Easy tiger. Some of us are immigrants y'know...
Go away Duchatalet
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2016 at 20:38
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

Originally posted by Biggunspaul Biggunspaul wrote:

Easy tiger. Some of us are immigrants y'know...

Where did I mention immigrants ? you must be jumping to conclusions
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/December/2016 at 09:20
I had no idea whether they were singing it in English as I was too far away but they were having a good time.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
gerry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/December/2016 at 12:05
In Ireland you sometimes hear this at a wedding what this means is if you are up dancing to this you are well and truly pissed and should be put to bed, I know this because I was that soldier.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2016 at 09:32
"I had no idea whether they were singing it in English as I was too far away but they were having a good time."

Tom, you say in your original post that they were singing it in English, I thought that was the point of your post?
Andrew
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/December/2016 at 10:10
The last culture I saw was lying in the bottom of a petri dish.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic