Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » 2nd Hand Items / Artigos de 2ª Mão
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCheapish Car Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheapish Car Wanted
    Posted: 03/July/2016 at 08:07
Rather than having to hire a car every time we visit my husband & I are thinking about buying a second hand car I Portugal.
Would like to spend no more than 5000 Euros - happy to have a small car e.g Fiesta, Corsa etc.
Does anyone have one for sale?
Needs to be no more than 6 years old and reliable.
I have read about cars in Portugal and have realised they are way more expensive than the UK Unhappy
Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of? We have an underground secure parking area. Smile
Sponsored Links

tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 08:46
Having just driven back to UK again, one of the main reasons car needs testing, we are thinking of registering our car in Portugal. What once was a bit of an adventure is now a pain. We ended up driving back through Paris this year and it was a nightmare...sat nav never sends us same way twice!....Would hate to be a none aggressive driver driving through there.
We have looked at car prices in Portugal and like you have realised second hand prices are double or more so maybe registering one of ours over there would be the best option.
Hope you get some good feedback off the forum regards pitfalls..
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 09:10
On facebook, type in 'for sale algarve' and find some pages and you'll soon find cars for sale at better prices than the Portuguese for sale sites and often people returning to uk
jamieandanne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 09:50
We also went back and forward with our U K car and it was driving through Paris that made us sell and buy one here. Nightmare indeed.

We went to MS cars on the 125 to Faro and I cant praise them enough. We dealt with Julio Luz who spoke perfect English and was very helpful, even arranging car insurance which is very reasonable.

They have a large range of small Fiat cars, Pandas and the like and give the REAL price and don't haggle like some of the smaller places on the 125 who make out they are knocking large amounts off when their not. Nothing to loose by having a look, good luck.

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 10:07
Registering a foreign car, or changing it to Portuguese, a process called matriculation, is a right pain and guess what, not cheap!
We looked into it and concluded it wasn't worth it, maybe a bit cheaper than paying Portuguese prices but the process and conditions lead us to leave that route alone.
Andrew
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 10:16
We also found lhd Portuguese registered cars for sale in UK and thought that was going to be our answer, but for us to then register it to us at our address in Portugal,we had to prove that we had owned it and registered it to our UK address for a minimum of 12 months and during that time it hadn't been in or to Portugal!
So we gave that up as well!
I think I've heard mention on here of this being typical Portuguese bureaucracy, not sure
Andrew
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 12:40
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Registering a foreign car, or changing it to Portuguese, a process called matriculation, is a right pain and guess what, not cheap!
We looked into it and concluded it wasn't worth it, maybe a bit cheaper than paying Portuguese prices but the process and conditions lead us to leave that route alone.

Andrew yes I think it`s circa £1000 then left hand drive headlights for my model about £120 from Germany. The thing is it costs us around £500 each leg to and from Algarve. Diesel tolls ferry hotel etc.
It`s more the hassle as you say Portuguese bureaucracy than the cost when you would have thought it would be a simple task as we are all in the E.U......for a while.
Suppose it`s just another case of it not really being a European Union.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 13:10
Then there is the IVA, they will value your car, and you can't challenge that, and present you with the IVA charge. We've been told the valuations are always ridiculously high, probably as it's based on the cost of vehicles there and not here, so that's another lump to throw in the mix.
Andrew
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2016 at 18:52
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Having just driven back to UK again, one of the main reasons car needs testing, we are thinking of registering our car in Portugal. What once was a bit of an adventure is now a pain. We ended up driving back through Paris this year and it was a nightmare...sat nav never sends us same way twice!....Would hate to be a none aggressive driver driving through there.
We have looked at car prices in Portugal and like you have realised second hand prices are double or more so maybe registering one of ours over there would be the best option.
Hope you get some good feedback off the forum regards pitfalls..

If you don't mind me asking,how much does it roughly cost you in fuel,tolls and ferry to drive to Portugal ? Also what car are you doing it in and how long does it take you ?

grmac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2016 at 07:25
Thanks for the suggestions :)
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2016 at 18:42
Originally posted by Biggunspaul Biggunspaul wrote:

If you don't mind me asking,how much does it roughly cost you in fuel,tolls and ferry to drive to Portugal ? Also what car are you doing it in and how long does it take you ?

Roughly between £400-£600 in a Skoda Octavia 1.9. It depends which route we take.
Setting off off from North East England Saturday morning 6.30 am for Dover 330 miles gets us a lunchtime ferry to Calais then 263 miles to Le Mans gets us there about 6pm.
We stay the night in Le Mans then travel all day Sunday 1100 miles to Albuferia setting off about 6.30 am gets us to Albuferia about 9-10pm. It`s a slog but two of us drive. That`s the cheapest route but tiring.
Coming home this time we stayed at Le Mans and decided that rather than driving up through England we would take the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull but made the mistake of coming throuh Paris rather than the French coast road. We set off Wednesday morning and got home Friday lunchtime
We have done the Santander Southampton route but find it totally boring stuck on the ferry all day at least on Zeebrugge/Hull you are only on overnight so can have a few drinks and bed then you are up and away next day.
A lot of people make 2 stops en route but we manage just one...and we never have a cross word the whole 1700 miles LOL.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2016 at 19:14

Roughly between £400-£600 in a Skoda Octavia 1.9. It depends which route we take.
Setting off off from North East England Saturday morning 6.30 am for Dover 330 miles gets us a lunchtime ferry to Calais then 263 miles to Le Mans gets us there about 6pm.
We stay the night in Le Mans then travel all day Sunday 1100 miles to Albuferia setting off about 6.30 am gets us to Albuferia about 9-10pm. It`s a slog but two of us drive. That`s the cheapest route but tiring.
Coming home this time we stayed at Le Mans and decided that rather than driving up through England we would take the ferry from Zeebrugge to Hull but made the mistake of coming throuh Paris rather than the French coast road. We set off Wednesday morning and got home Friday lunchtime
We have done the Santander Southampton route but find it totally boring stuck on the ferry all day at least on Zeebrugge/Hull you are only on overnight so can have a few drinks and bed then you are up and away next day.
A lot of people make 2 stops en route but we manage just one...and we never have a cross word the whole 1700 miles LOL.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2016 at 19:23

Thanks for the reply

Do you know roughly what sort of MPG you get ?

Mine averages around 20-22mpg if I take it really steady lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic