Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilsao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving
    Posted: 14/June/2016 at 20:40
Hi my family and I have booked our ferry (Portsmouth to St Malo) for July 24th and I would appreciate any advice about our journey down to Albufeira. We are hoping to only make one overnight stop do you think this is realistic.
Sponsored Links

Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/June/2016 at 23:00
Hi
We have driven many times from Bedfordshire using Channel Tunnel,via Rouen, Le Mans ,Tours, Bordeaux then overnight stop in Bayonne.
Next day into Spain - then Vitoria Gastiez to Salamanca then south to Seville. Then onto Albufeira.
Each day is about 750 miles but as it is Motorway (tolls mainly in France)or dual carriageway virtually the whole way we average 70mph just stopping to change driver & refuel.
Have a look at www.viamichelin.com for details of tolls etc
Let me know if you need more info
Gilsao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gilsao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 07:19
Hi Richard thanks for the info, that is one of the routes we have looked at, I was a bit worried that it would be too much to do each day. How many hours do you average each day? And could you recommend somewhere to stay overnight in Bayonne.
Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/June/2016 at 08:32
It takes us 12 hours to get to Bayonne from UK inc stops & Channel Tunnel check in, the second day is a bit quicker . We only stop for a few minutes to change drivers then its back onto Motorway where generally the traffic is light so you can maintain good speeds. We cruise around 130/140kph c. 85mph.
We stay in Ibis Styles in Bayonne which is in centre by the river and close to restaurants .Although dearer than out of town we are happy to pay extra for the chance to unwind in lovely environment.
Travelling time for us door to door is just over 20 hours and although long drive I much prefer to flying plus we can bring extra luggage etc
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2017 at 09:38
For anyone driving down to the Algarve through France this may be of interest.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/british-motorists-continent-face-640-speeding-fines-saturday/   
Colin
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2017 at 12:35
I suppose the answer is to obey the law and not speed.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiganut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2017 at 08:23
Brits can be prosecuted abroad,but British police can't pursue EU offenders???
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2017 at 09:44
Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/05/british-motorists-continent-face-640-speeding-fines-saturday/   

However, a quirk of the European law will create a "one-way" system in which Europeans caught speeding in the UK cannot be pursued by British police.

Then people moan about Brexit......Always thought EU was supposed to be level playing field.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/May/2017 at 10:07
Originally posted by Gilsao Gilsao wrote:

Hi my family and I have booked our ferry (Portsmouth to St Malo) for July 24th and I would appreciate any advice about our journey down to Albufeira. We are hoping to only make one overnight stop do you think this is realistic.

Think it all depends how comfortable you are driving for a length of time and if two of you are driving We used to set off Saturday morning for Dover..ferry to Calais..drive to Le Mans. Stay over then drive all day 1100 miles to Albufeira. Arriving Sunday evening.
It took us about 14 hours driving on the Sunday we found but that was toe down all the way not seeing any of the beautiful scenery. As already alluded to it is just about all straight motorway which are deserted by British standards for 95% of the journey so you can cruise along at 90 mph no problem
First couple of times it was an adventure then it becomes a chore.
We now find it easier to go via Santander or Bilbao whichever is the least expensive.
One overnight stay should not be any problem at all IMO.
One point to note fill the car up before you leave Spain. We paid 1.04 a litre in Spain for diesel last week cheapest I could find this week in Portugal was 1.15 at Ferreiras.
Have a safe and enjoyable journey.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2017 at 06:32
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

However, a quirk of the European law will create a "one-way" system in which Europeans caught speeding in the UK cannot be pursued by British police.

Then people moan about Brexit......Always thought EU was supposed to be level playing field.

That will be because you are reading those lying tabloids Paul... LOL

As usual it is down to UK law - I quote from a non-biased source:

"This is because UK laws state that the liability lies with the driver of the car and not the owner, as is the case in countries such as Austria, Belgium, Spain, France, Holland, and Italy."

I note that Germany (or Portugal for that matter) is not included in that list - whether they have the same law as us and are also unable to enforce it, I am unable to ascertain. As per the norm, the xenophobic press try to pretend the fault lies with the EU, and that the UK is the only country affected in this way, when in actual fact the truth is somewhat different...    

Go away Duchatalet
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2017 at 11:38
AA The good thing is we will not have to worry about it much longer Thumbs Up.
Regarding Portugal I do hope they are not included in the list. Although I would find it hard to believe if they thought there was an easy way to make money.

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/May/2017 at 13:50
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

AA The good thing is we will not have to worry about it much longer Thumbs Up.
Regarding Portugal I do hope they are not included in the list. Although I would find it hard to believe if they thought there was an easy way to make money.

LOL on both counts. Brexit isn't good for the UK, it's especially not good for those of us living here, but I agree that it would be most unlike the Portuguese government to find a way of screwing motorists...  
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic