Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBREXIT –STRAWS IN THE WIND

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2016 at 14:08
I wasn't aware that UK borders were unsafe?
Go away Duchatalet
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2016 at 16:56
In June the Faro-Albufeira bus I was on was stopped by GNR.  They checked the bus with a  sniffer dog and asked for ID.  I had a copy of the photo page of my passport but they were more interested in my EHIC card which they took away and returned 15-20 mins later.  The bus was allowed to go and that was that.  Odd.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2016 at 21:14
Algarveaddick, how perceptive of you!Maybe I am delusional in thinking that everyone is as fair minded as me,it wouldn't be the first time. However, it can't be that bad here or you would have long since departed.Nay ,with such laser like insight,you would not have come here in the first place.
As I am not a clairvoyant, I can only adopt a sanguine attitude and hope for the best.Que serra, serra. I follow the school of thought which decrees,never worry about anything that you can do nothing about. Serenity.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/July/2016 at 21:50
You can do (or could have done) something Phil - vote remain. My observation was indeed based on a number of years experience and facts, I made no mention of how I felt about it, so perhaps you are actually clairvoyant after all?
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2016 at 07:35
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

I wasn't aware that UK borders were unsafe?

Probably a lot more safe than most, but if I heard correctly the other day around 3,000 got in last year illegally (eg in the backs of trucks) and were subsequently deported. I assume though these were those they found. They would be people without any ID or passports at all, otherwise they would travel by the usual means. On mainland Europe, you can walk across borders and no-one is there to stop you.

No-one really knows how many have sneaked into the UK over the years. Here in France, estimates are that around 400,000 are living illegally. The French deport them from time to time en masse when pressed to do so by local indignation, the UK government is too kind.

Anyway, that has little or nothing to do with the EU situation.

Studying the football transfer market the other day, it is no longer remarkable how few English players are involved at the top levels. I would imagine that the big clubs are getting their lawyers prepped up, to ensure that all their future signings post actual exit are found somehow to be exempt from whatever work permit rules and regulations mere mortals have to abide by.

As the saying goes, may you live in interesting times!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/July/2016 at 10:33
I was driving round the M25 last week,& the signs said 'Pedestrians In Road',sure enough,every 200 yards or so was a foreign looking young man ,with his rucksack.Must have taken the police hours to round them up.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
gerry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/July/2016 at 23:28
I wouldn't worry about BREXIT according to a German man I spoke to this week (CEO of a large company ) told me the German government recon there will be no EU in about 2 years time that even before we leave, everyone knows it is on the cards and the EU doesn't work.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/August/2016 at 09:41
Yet when CEOs of large companies in Britain told us we were better off staying in the EU, Brexiters told us to ignore them as they didn't know what they were on about. Funny that...
Go away Duchatalet
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2016 at 16:25
Hi, I have just spent 25 days in various places in the UK and the doom laden words of the Remain camp appear to be somewhat wide of the mark.Unemployment is down and better percentage wise than the majority of advanced countries.Inward investment is healthy and the FTSE resilient, quite the opposite of the predictions of a country laid waste by the Brexit vote.
Regarding my vote,I didn't get the postal vote requested from my local authority so my Leave vote was never recorded. If I was of a cynical disposition, I may have suspected that a local authority employee,being aware of my age and therefore likely to vote LEAVE, made sure that I never got the postal vote as he wished to Remain. No,in Britain, couldn't happen,could it? [:)]
We must endeavour to ensure that Independent Britain thrives and the signs are there that we can,that is not just my opinion, it is shared by far cleverer people than l including a certain CEO who was firmly in the Remain camp but has now ,on the evidence available, changed his mind.
Best wishes, Phil.
iane View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2016 at 18:56
Surprising how many people know the intimate machinations of the minds of major CEO's - after 2 months of no action following the vote any CEO worth a light would be sitting tight and waiting to see something concrete before committing himself - a 180 degree turn in this short a time would not fill me with confidence and in any balanced view there has been far more negative than positive economic data - if this shambles actually goes ahead it will be years before the final effects are seen and on that basis many major decisions on investment, recruitment etc will be deferred until more certainty appears. The info available so far is not good despite anyone talking up unemployment figures - next thing is someone will be claiming that the FTSE 100 is an accurate barometer of the UK economy when its growth mainly reflects increased DOLLAR asset values of multi-nationals mainly operating outside the UK after the fall of sterling.
Data already shows that UK is on a par with Greece as the countries with the worst drop in real wages, mortgage approvals at a long time low, research programmes under threat etc etc - and please don't quote retail spending figures - tie these to the (lack of) confidence in job security polled alongside it and it is probably fair to assume some big ticket spending before the cost of imported goods rises.
No-one can yet take any sort of balanced view - we are dealing with politicians here after all - and many of the current crop have already been shown to have no real understanding of how the EU even works...

Epi360 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2016 at 19:54
Well said iane at last someone talking sense on here
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2016 at 23:29
Iane, I won't bother to post comments on the situation post Brexit. No matter what evidence of the current economic climate is available, the disenchanted Remain faction are determined to undermine the decision of the majority of British people who voted to Leave, rightly or wrongly. You presented a case where you demeaned people who ignored CEO s who supported the Remain camp and promptly derided a man in the same position when he changed his mind.Which is it to be,listen to CEOs or ignore them?Or does there have to be a qualifying period before they are allowed,no matter what the evidence perceived by them,can be taken into account?
That attitude sums up the mindset of the EU, give people a vote until they vote the right way.Ask Ireland.
Read the book "Brussels laid bare" by Marta Andreasen, factual, informative and enlightening. The EU is a cesspit of corruption throughout. But,not one disenchanted Remain supporter ,has taken my advice to read that publication because they have closed minds and do not wish to know the truth.I await your comments as I am sure that you are a fair and open minded person who will be the exception to the rule and read that book.
Boa noite.
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2016 at 00:58
Steady Phil. Would you trust a CEO? Here are some of the irresponsible one's that come to mind. Fred Goodwin, Mike Ashley,currently other Bankers who are playing the field (where does he get the time) etc, etc. The way I was brought up was to admire and respect people at their level who were expected to set standards. It appears to me that they are only interested in a fast buck. Buck being an understatement. How many do you read moves from a to b with a nice wee pay off. How things have changed. I have lost all respect for these guys.
Then there is the our MP's cheating the system with claims for expenses. Remember the garden fish pond or whatever it was and it is still going on. I never had respect for them anyway! Probably no worse than the corruption you claim in the EC. The argument could go on forever. Why did they not allow 16 to 18 year olds a vote? After all it will affect them, certainly not me. Once I win my claim from the RBS I may believe there still is justice in this Country. (Notice THIS Country.) No Border Control at Gretna for me.
At the end of the day we have to get on with it and don't forget the feel good factor you experienced, apart from the good weather which always helps to keep us happy, could be down to the fact that the document to take us out has not yet been signed. Rant over.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2016 at 10:45
We are still in the EU. The only thing that has changed is a massive drop in the value of the pound, which is indicative of the rest of the world looking at Britain and saying "you idiots". Well except those shining examples of high moral standards and good virtue, the Russians...
Go away Duchatalet
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31/August/2016 at 10:53
Oh - actually, I forgot, the other thing that has changed is the increase in racist and xenophobic attacks. I am sure the 37% of registered voters who chose leave are delighted about that.
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic