Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat about expats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 11:35
Most of the out voters probably only got as far as wanting to be able to buy a vacuum cleaner that actually sucks and having lightbulbs that come on immediately and don't cost an arm & a leg Wink
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 14:02
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Most of the out voters probably only got as far as wanting to be able to buy a vacuum cleaner that actually sucks and having lightbulbs that come on immediately and don't cost an arm & a leg Wink

Yes you don`t want one of them Slovacs Smile
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 15:40
In order for the UK to leave the EU it has to be passed though both Houses of Parliament.
Reason may prevail eventually. If we do actually leave the EU my wife and I are moving to France.
Ally
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 15:48
I wasnt having a dig at Middlesbrough only giving the response of voters there when asked what they voted and why,of all that were asked only one had voted in the past 20yrs or so.This was probably the same where I live Bacup in Lancs. Apologies for the spelling but I am used to people spelling my last name wrong all the time.
caz
camara1969 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 17:22
carolenclive don't apologize for your spelling if someone has a problem with that then they have a problem he did the same with me the other day a sad man indeed
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 19:43
Phillip Pullman of the Guardian wrote the following article.
Admin can detete if it's a copyright issue.

The dog-whistle call of Nigel Farage’s racism and the lies of Boris Johnson are the final act of a tragedy that began 70 years ago? This catastrophe has had a thousand causes. Here are some.
There is our country’s post-imperial reluctance to let go of the idea that we are a great nation, combined with our post-second-world-war delusion that we were still a great power. That was why we refused the chance to join the European Coal and Steel Community in 1951, and our infatuation with our own greatness was sufficiently undamaged by Suez in 1956 to make us refuse to join the EEC when that got going with the Treaty of Rome in 1958. If we’d committed ourselves to Europe early, with everyone else, we’d now have a much deeper understanding of our real relationship to the continent, namely that we belong there.
Then there was General de Gaulle’s double “Non” in 1963 and 1967, which kept us out when we finally thought it might be a good idea to join. Goodness knows what the source of his hostility was, but it wouldn’t be at all surprising if his notoriously prickly character was still harbouring some ancient resentment from his treatment by this country during the war.
But if we’d had the chance to join early, we could have had a much greater influence on the way the European project developed, and we’d feel much more at home in it now. Instead, we were bewitched (some of our leaders still are) by the fantasy of the “special relationship”, invented by Winston Churchill and entirely ignored by the other party to it, the US. Caught up in the glamour of this imaginary nonsense, toadying, deluded, we’ve been facing the wrong way for the past 70 years.
Combined with that, there is the folly of allowing a billionaire from Australia to corrupt our press. A good deal of it was already corrupt (the Zinoviev Letter, for instance, a forgery published by the Daily Mail to ensure a Conservative victory in 1924), but the depth to which the bulk of our newspapers have sunk, the extent to which they are nothing more than mouthpieces for spittle-flecked xenophobia (“Up Yours Delors”, from the Sun, 1990), is a wonder of the civilised world.
Then there is the bone-headed obduracy of the Labour party. Outraged by Thatcherism, I joined in the 1980s, and tried to urge the local party to join forces with the Liberal Democrats to displace the sitting Tory. Nothing would shift them from the conviction that it was better to lose on their own than win in collaboration with someone else.
When Charter 88 brought out its superb analysis of our constitutional crisis later in the decade, once again the Labour party knew better than to take a step towards the light, and refused to support the obvious need for, for instance, electoral reform. Because in its sclerotic complacency it never learns anything, it went on in due course to lose its base in Scotland and then elect Jeremy Corbyn, whose performance during the referendum has been a masterclass in lacklustre, moribund, timid, low-wattage helplessness. You cannot take someone formed by nature to be a safely maverick backbencher and expect him to project any kind of clear determined leadership.
Then there is the tendency of our broadcast media to be seduced by strong personalities. The oafish saloon-bar loudmouth Nigel Farage was indulged with far too many appearances on Any Questions and Question Time. Producers seem to have felt his dog-whistle racism to be amusingly transgressive.
Similarly, Boris Johnson, a liar, a cheat, a man said to have betrayed a journalist to someone who wanted to beat him up, a shameless opportunist, an idle buffoon, to name but a few of his disqualifications for high office, was flattered over and over again by programmes such as Have I Got News For You. Without the completely needless exposure these two gained from the generosity of TV and radio, they would have found it harder to spread their lies and not-even-quite-covert racism during the referendum. They’d have been starting from a different place.
But the most immediate cause of the disaster this country suffered last night was the flippant, careless, irresponsible way David Cameron tried to buy off the right wing of his own party by offering them a referendum. I don’t think that device should have any place at all in a parliamentary democracy: it slips far too easily into a sort of raucous populism. We elect MPs so that they can have the time and the resources to make important decisions. That’s what they should do.
But then, if we had a properly thought-out constitution instead of a cobwebbed, rotten, diseased and decaying mess of a patched-up, cobbled-together, bloated, corrupted, leaking and stinking hulk, we wouldn’t have come to this point anyway. We desperately need fundamental change. But who can bring us that now?
We'd love your feedback on the Guardian Apple News channel. Email userhelp@theguardian.com with 'Apple News' in the subject.
Ally
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 20:05
http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/brexit-starts-taking-its-toll-on-portugal/38662

The comments at the bottom of the publication are worth a read, especially  the comment off Ken from Beiras, he has hit the nail on the head for me.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
Patti View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 20:28
lots of different views
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36619123
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 21:00
Originally posted by Super__Ally Super__Ally wrote:

Phillip Pullman of the Guardian wrote the following article.

I guess he voted "remain" then LOL
And he probably wouldn't have written any of that if we had voted for what he wanted.
I also voted "remain" but there's no sour grapes from me because on reflection I'm not that disappointed that we're out.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 21:11
Poor old Phillip Pullman another one who does not realise we live in a Democracy.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 21:15
it's alright saying let's rule our own country but what sort of industries is left from what was there forty odd years ago? London has got great banking but that will go as sterling will be defunct in an euro zone, I get the idiotic Brussels thing where they make stupid rules having lived in Ireland they had rules to stop turf cutters in one area of the same county but let others cut away when in fact the area they were cutting was there private land and then there was the water charges and the way they charged for waste collection all done in Brussels yea but for me life is to short
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 21:23
Originally posted by carolenclive carolenclive wrote:

I wasnt having a dig at Middlesbrough only giving the response of voters there when asked what they voted and why,of all that were asked only one had voted in the past 20yrs or so.This was probably the same where I live Bacup in Lancs. Apologies for the spelling but I am used to people spelling my last name wrong all the time.

Please don`t feel the need to apologise. With you stating Middlesbrough I took it as an underhand dig as I am from those parts when maybe it wasn`t intended that way.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion/feelings. Just sometimes people get personal for no reason.
Mind I can understand people getting your second name wrong it`s not a very common surname....enclive Wink
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 21:45
Originally posted by camara1969 camara1969 wrote:

carolenclive don't apologize for your spelling if someone has a problem with that then they have a problem he did the same with me the other day a sad man indeed

If you are going to make a statement make it correct. I merely pointed out to you when you started ranting about a post that the poster was being ironic not flippant.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/June/2016 at 22:24
you sad man I told carolenclive about you pulling me on my spelling what don't you get or do you just read what you want, and you did leave it by saying trot on so why bother with someone with more intellect than you and has more respect for other forum users, ps read my previous posts
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/June/2016 at 09:35
Originally posted by camara1969 camara1969 wrote:

you sad man I told carolenclive about you pulling me on my spelling what don't you get or do you just read what you want, and you did leave it by saying trot on so why bother with someone with more intellect than you and has more respect for other forum users, ps read my previous posts

LOL.......Enough said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic