Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 83>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/April/2017 at 11:04
Thanks.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 08:32
Booked our return flight for March this morning - outward flight in January already booked.
Easyjet have changed their website - no more "3 week view" and various other changes. Complete shambles if you ask me, why do Companies find it necessary to change websites that are working fine as they are.
Anyway flight was cheap enough at £22 each
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 10:29
DICEY

There have been some changes to the EasyJet website but the "3 week view" is still available.

On the Pick Flights page the view defaults to the chosen departure date plus one day either side. However in orange in the black box above is "3 week view >". Selecting that opens up a graph on the right half of the screen.

It is different and personally I preferred the previous calendar view for clarity.
Colin
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/April/2017 at 15:14
Yes I saw the graph thing but I don't think it's as good as seeing the actual price on any given day
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/April/2017 at 14:33
Agree.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 10:43
I've often watched the planes coming in over Albufeira beach heading in to land at Faro. Always wonder why the plane that I happen to be on almost always comes in to Faro from the other direction, the east. I remember only a few of the times over the past 20 years that I have been flying in to Faro that we approached from the west. I do love to pick out the landmarks from the birds eye view. I see from Cubser's weather report this morning that there is a slight wind from the south. Will I be able to guess the direction of the approach by the direction of the wind. I'm flying in to Faro 25thJune next.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 10:51
The Flightradar website shows that flights are landing from the west just now. And of course taking off towards the east. The wind is so slight that i cannot imagine it makes a lot of difference.

https://www.flightradar24.com/37.04,-7.99/13 - zoom out a bit.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 10:55
Thank you for that Cubser. I will keep an eye on that web site. Knowing my luck, by 25th they will probably have changed to approach from the east!
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 11:01
???

According to that website, the Jet2 flight from Leeds has just landed in the sea! It didn't.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 11:57
Residing to the east of Albufeira we get a lot of quite low planes coming in over Acoteias when the wind is from the east.
As a rule of thumb average I would estimate that landings in that direction account for no more than 2 or 3 days out of every 10 days.

ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 13:08
We generally approach Faro from the east, you can see the sand banks off Cabanas. Its a treat to fly in parallel to the coast, over Lisbon , turn left and along the coast literally over our own place. You can pick out the Hotel Montechoro as the first landmark and clearly see the strip. Then you can see the pier and beach in the Old Town. The Falesia cliffs are really a spectacle from the air. Its the perfect appetiser for a visit.
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 19:06
Faro, like most single runway airports, is designed with the runway aligned with the prevailing wind and aircraft will land and takeoff into wind under normal circumstances.

I won't bore you with the effect of land and sea breezes but this will account for a change of landing direction early on some days.

Our approach a couple of weeks ago was over the Ria Formosa national park but on this occasion I was sitting on the left of the plane so took these pics.

Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 09:20

That is correct, I’d say about 80% come in from the West, so into the predominant and prevailing wind, but it does turn, as it has this morning and they’re going in from the East, well at least I can see them in the pattern over Albufeira, haven’t looked at Flightradar yet.

Yesterday was interesting, we are West of Albufeira and they don’t come this far out, normally. We noticed they were, and getting further and further West of us. Flightradar showed many aircraft on the ground, still squawking, at faro and about eight on approach. They might have had an incident they might just have been overwhelmed, but those coming in were increasingly being moved into wider, time consuming patterns. All good fun, but it was hot in that anorak! Embarrassed

Andrew
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 10:48
Thanks Andrew, I wondered what was going on
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2017 at 20:05
Got my anorak back on!
Monarch today flew their first new Boeing, they are, over the next year, changing from Airbus to the new 737 Max, they took delivery of their first one, took on new pilots (as you only ever fly one or the other) did trials and training over past couple of weeks, and today flew Birmingham/Rome with passengers, tomorrow its Birmingham/Lisbon, easy to find on Flightradar24 as Monarch currently have only the one Boeing.
Sorry to prattle on but our nephew is the 1st Officer (co pilot) on today's and tomorrow's flights on this aircraft and we are pretty proud, hence I've got my anorak on! That said, in this vile UK weather, I have another reason to wear it!
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 83>
  Share Topic