Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 13:08
We generally approach Faro from the east, you can see the sand banks off Cabanas. Its a treat to fly in parallel to the coast, over Lisbon , turn left and along the coast literally over our own place. You can pick out the Hotel Montechoro as the first landmark and clearly see the strip. Then you can see the pier and beach in the Old Town. The Falesia cliffs are really a spectacle from the air. Its the perfect appetiser for a visit.
Big Col View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2017 at 19:06
Faro, like most single runway airports, is designed with the runway aligned with the prevailing wind and aircraft will land and takeoff into wind under normal circumstances.

I won't bore you with the effect of land and sea breezes but this will account for a change of landing direction early on some days.

Our approach a couple of weeks ago was over the Ria Formosa national park but on this occasion I was sitting on the left of the plane so took these pics.

Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 09:20

That is correct, I’d say about 80% come in from the West, so into the predominant and prevailing wind, but it does turn, as it has this morning and they’re going in from the East, well at least I can see them in the pattern over Albufeira, haven’t looked at Flightradar yet.

Yesterday was interesting, we are West of Albufeira and they don’t come this far out, normally. We noticed they were, and getting further and further West of us. Flightradar showed many aircraft on the ground, still squawking, at faro and about eight on approach. They might have had an incident they might just have been overwhelmed, but those coming in were increasingly being moved into wider, time consuming patterns. All good fun, but it was hot in that anorak! Embarrassed

Andrew
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2017 at 10:48
Thanks Andrew, I wondered what was going on
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2017 at 20:05
Got my anorak back on!
Monarch today flew their first new Boeing, they are, over the next year, changing from Airbus to the new 737 Max, they took delivery of their first one, took on new pilots (as you only ever fly one or the other) did trials and training over past couple of weeks, and today flew Birmingham/Rome with passengers, tomorrow its Birmingham/Lisbon, easy to find on Flightradar24 as Monarch currently have only the one Boeing.
Sorry to prattle on but our nephew is the 1st Officer (co pilot) on today's and tomorrow's flights on this aircraft and we are pretty proud, hence I've got my anorak on! That said, in this vile UK weather, I have another reason to wear it!
Andrew
Big Col View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2017 at 21:01
Sadly, I have the same type of anorak! 🤣🤣
Colin
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2017 at 19:11
Andrew/Big Col keep those anoraks on I for one always find it interesting to learn different things about the flights. I always appreciate it when the pilot tells you which route we are taking and where we will be flying over.
Andrew well done to the nephew.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/June/2017 at 19:54
Probably a bit OT but have you seen these landings & take offs at St Maarten Airport
Scary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM_GYSL0ibQ

I hate how people compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/July/2017 at 09:21
Paul, thanks for that and in response... have a look at Rome airport, Flightradar24 or googlearth, its most strange, they have two parallel runways they use for landings and one runway between the two, so at 90 degrees, they use for take offs. So the take offs are at 90 degrees to the landing and across one or the other of a landing runway, weird.
Andrew
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/July/2017 at 16:02
For anyone interested 1st week in September
£50 return London to Faro
How bad can it be?
Ally
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2017 at 00:30
Jet2 now charging for hand baggage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4719308/Now-airlines-charge-bring-HAND-LUGGAGE.html

‘On busier flights, it can occasionally be necessary for some hand luggage to be placed in the aircraft hold, however customers that wish to guarantee their baggage on board can pay a small fee to do so.’ 

So what happens if every customer on a particular flight pays to guarantee their luggage on board?
I hate how people compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2017 at 00:54
so they're saying under the 90 cabin baggage rule if you refuse the option when asked  to put it in the hold when they have a full flight you will be charged for the privelidge of  bringing it on board as cabin baggage. mmmmm , another money making spinner. Personally I aint arsed  as we always pay for one hold luggage between us and one in size. cabin bag which we always put in the hold if given the option, otherwise its put in cabin overhead lockers. My small bag, laptop size fits under the seat.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2017 at 12:01
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Jet2 now charging for hand baggage

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4719308/Now-airlines-charge-bring-HAND-LUGGAGE.html

‘On busier flights, it can occasionally be necessary for some hand luggage to be placed in the aircraft hold, however customers that wish to guarantee their baggage on board can pay a small fee to do so.’ 

So what happens if every customer on a particular flight pays to guarantee their luggage on board?

Knowing the airlines, you get a curly sandwich and a glass of water as compo...  
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 525354
  Share Topic