Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EDP!!! - HELP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EDP!!! - HELP
    Posted: 05/April/2017 at 10:44
I hope someone can help me with this. I found out yesterday that there was no power in my apartment. I rang EDP customer service to be told my February bill of 102.60 has not been paid. I keep my Santander bank account topped up to cover EDP, Vodafone and Water Charges. In the 5 years I have had the apartment the most I have paid for EDP is about €65.00 during the summer when we are there a lot. There was not enough in the bank to cover the 102.00 because they had taken €220.00 in December!!!! My electricity bill at home in Ireland was not that high. I can request a technicians visit as soon as the arrears are paid, my friend in Albufeira is paying today I'll be back on 19th of this month. It seems that we are paying for someone else usage, is it possible that the EDP have misread my meter or could it be more sinister, has someone hacked into my supply. Has anyone heard of anything similar. HELP.CryCry
Sponsored Links

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2017 at 11:53
Look at your last 2 bills and where there is a readin you should see R for real and E for estimated. I would think you have been estimated so your friend needs to take a reading and either drop it into the shop or do it by phone or on line - whichever way you choose you need your numero de identificacao so they know which meter the reading is for. then you get a credit against bills till you are all square again
ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2017 at 12:52
Thanks Pete, I  don't have the bills, the are all online now and I need to take a phone call in Portuguese to activate the EDP online account. I'll ask my friend to take the meter reading with her. I'll be over in a fortnight so I can go in myself then.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2017 at 19:06
Our EDP account is at a fixed amount every month via Direct Debit and any over or under use is adjusted once a year with a higher or lower payment in July.
They then adjust our monthly direct debit based on the previous 12 months.
Do they normally take the same amount each month or are you on some sort of "pay as you go" contract?
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2017 at 09:02
Diceyuk they take varying amounts as per meter readings, the same as at home. I'm aware of payment options like the one you have. Hopefully it was just a mis read meter. There was a lot of decorating/building work going on in the condominium over the winter so they may not have been able to access the meters and estimated it. Its all paid up now so I'll go into them armed with a meter reading when I'm over in a fortnight. Wish me luck!!
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2017 at 15:45
We have a 1 bed apartment paying 60 Euros per month the also took almost 190 Euros as not enough so they have put up to 66euros which is ridiculous we are their but not all the time but say this is correct .
I didn't realise you could ask for someone to check as feel it's very expensive no wonder the Portuguese sit in house with coats on they can't afford the bills
Portprincess
stuart123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuart123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2017 at 16:50
Be aware that it may be worth doing a power audit if you have a property that you don't regularly use - switch the main breaker off when you leave - you will only be charged the standing charges then.

For instance - do you leave the fridge on?  Water heater?  Air con unit (even on standby they will use some electric)  TV standby?

Internet ?

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2017 at 17:02
Originally posted by port princess port princess wrote:

We have a 1 bed apartment paying 60 Euros per month the also took almost 190 Euros as not enough so they have put up to 66euros which is ridiculous we are their but not all the time but say this is correct .
I didn't realise you could ask for someone to check as feel it's very expensive no wonder the Portuguese sit in house with coats on they can't afford the bills

We also have a 1 bed apartment. We are there around 24 weeks a year in both winter and summer so we use a lot of electricty for heating & cooling.
We currently pay EDP 55 Euros a month.
The only things we leave on when we're not there are a large fridge & a seperate freezer.
Everything else is unpluged when we leave.
We had an adjustment in July last year of 172.82 Euros and our monthly bill went up from 44 Euros to the current 55 Euros.
We were expecting that though because we had a lot of extra heating on in Jan-Mar 2016.
Had less on this year so expecting it to go down in July.
I always take and keep the readings of gas, water & electricty every time we leave.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2017 at 09:14
Everything turned off completely when we leave the apartment. Water, Fridge, A/C, I've always done it to avoid a fire risk, never even thought of the cost!! Port Princess I just rang  the EDP customer helpline and a very helpful lady told me about the audit, I'll schedule a visit when I'm over later in the month.  Our account is not on a fixed amount per month with annual balances. We pay varying amounts as per meter readings. Its either a misread of my meter or they input someone elses reading. €220.00 in December then down to €102.00 in February.  Usually only €25ish at that time of the year.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2017 at 11:04
As far as I'm aware, they don't read the electric meter every month, more like every 3 months.
At least that seems to be what happens at our place.
The water meter is read every month but we rarely see anybody from EDP over a 5 or 6 week stay.
Our gas meter is only read once a year.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2017 at 12:15
Originally posted by ClaireKildare ClaireKildare wrote:

Everything turned off completely when we leave the apartment. Water, Fridge, A/C, I've always done it to avoid a fire risk, never even thought of the cost!! Port Princess I just rang  the EDP customer helpline and a very helpful lady told me about the audit, I'll schedule a visit when I'm over later in the month.  Our account is not on a fixed amount per month with annual balances. We pay varying amounts as per meter readings. Its either a misread of my meter or they input someone elses reading. €220.00 in December then down to €102.00 in February.  Usually only €25ish at that time of the year.

Next time you leave the apartment Claire might be a good idea to read your meters on leaving to check you are not paying for somebody else!!
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/April/2017 at 16:27
Thanks everybody .
Portprincess
newkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2017 at 18:19
I've just discovered a brilliant scam.

Santander changed my account over from the old Banif and transferred "all" my direct debits. Apart from MEO and my Banif mortgage.

So Santander bounce my Banif mortgage payment, send me a nasty letter and charge me for the privilege.

Then MEO cut off my phone / internet and they charge me for reconnection. MEO blame Santander, Santander blame MEO. 

Santander stop my online access to my Banif account so I can't see what is going on or intervene. Then Santander charge me for bounced DD payment.

Beautiful scam. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic