Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Restaurants & Portuguese Cuisine / Restaurantes & a Comida
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDonaldos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donaldos
    Posted: 21/May/2012 at 18:38
Anyone ate in here at all and if so have you sampled the Surf n Turf?
Heading out again on May 24th and Oct 5th in 2014!!!
Sponsored Links

Chrissy63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/May/2012 at 06:56
I've had many meals at Donaldo's, All of them good, but never had the Surf & Turf.
Lifes a beach
carolenclive View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/May/2012 at 07:27
Same here never had the surf and turf but I am sure it would be good.Try it.
caz
harrymoon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2012 at 08:21
I have just returned from Albufeira and ate at Donaldos 3 times in 2 weeks, would've been more if the mrs allowed me to, the piri piri breast is to die for.
AlgarveBairn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/July/2012 at 11:46
Donaldo's is our first port of call every time we arrive in Albufeira. Never had the surf n turf but I'd imagine it'll be excellent as everything else is.

Validator View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/August/2012 at 20:55
I don't know about the surf & turf, might give it a try when we go in September.

We have been many times to Donaldo's and my personal favourite is the grilled swordfish with boiled potatoes and veg.
rick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2012 at 16:10
Sounds good, where is it I would like to try it
Chrissy63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/August/2012 at 18:04
Very bottom of the strip, turn right, 3rd (i think) restaurant along, it has a yellow wall with a wavy design painted on it.
Lifes a beach
RogerD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2012 at 15:26
Will be over on sunday, will make sure to let you know if the surf n turf is nice :)
Chrissy63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2012 at 15:30
Please do Roger & sat Hi to George for me Please. 
Lifes a beach
RogerD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2012 at 15:31
Is george the guy that stands outside from england, bald head slim guy? 
Chrissy63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2012 at 15:34
Thats him.
Lifes a beach
RogerD View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2012 at 16:02
Friendly bloke he is too.
Chrissy63 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2012 at 18:11
i love George, every year we walk out of the back entrance of OVBC & as soon as he spots us he runs over for a kiss & a hug bless him.
Lifes a beach
Validator View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2012 at 21:09
Well we had our two weeks at the end of September as usual at OVBC and it was brilliant.  We ate too much, drank a fair bit etc.

On the first night I could not resist my usual swordfish at Donaldos.  It was just a little overdone but we went back on our last night and it was just fantastic, as was my wife's massive slab of tuna steak.

About half way through our stay I tried the surf and turf, fillet medium.  When I first cut the steak I though I was going to be disappointed as it did not cut so easily as I expected but I was mistaken, it was excellent.  I remembered later that a Portuguese friend had told me a while ago that the Portuguese butchers often cut the steaks along the grain whereas the UK butchers cut across the grain making it easier to cut on the plate.  The steak was served with a white creamy sauce and several big, firm, juicy king prawns and of course chips and salad.  I thought the chips were better this year than previous and much better than some other restaurants that we tried this time.

We have often walked past Costa Rica on The Strip because the menu gives the impression of Costa Lot but we decided to give it a go and boy was it good!  My wife's prawn cocktail was chock full of King prawns as good as we have ever had and the presentation was the best!  Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me on that night.  I had the spare ribs for starters and that was a meal in itself.  It was a full rack of ribs with loads of juicy tender meat and a fantastic barbecue sauce.  We both had fish for the main course,  I had hake and my wife had swordfish, again very very good.

Restaurant Mangello used to be a regular eating place of ours because they do Cataplana for one which I love but my wife is not keen on.  The prawn cocktail she had was the most disappointing ever with only six very small pale shrimps, a spoon of sauce, some limp lettuce and half a boiled egg (?) at 8 euros it was so poor we complained in no uncertain manner.  The waiter was very oppressive as well  each time we asked for a few minutes to study the menu he was back in thirty seconds.  Needless to say we did not leave a tip and will probably never go back again.

The discovery of our visit this time was Restaurant Agipito where almost everything is charcoal grilled.  We were still quite full from lunchtime and went straight to the main course.  My grilled swordfish was just the best ever, crispy around the edges and so moist and tender inside.  My wife had a chicken kebab and the flavour was also excellent.

With so many good restaurants available there is no need to settle for second best but when ordering always ask if you want boiled potatoes instead of chips and ask what vegetables are served as well as sometimes they are extra or as in the case of Agipito only salad is available, but that will not stop us going back.

Finally for now, if you happen to be near what used to be the Modelo shopping centre, now Intercontinental I think, nip next door into Marinella's Pastelaria and try the sandwiches or toasties, you won't be disappointed!

regards to all, T.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic