Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Currency & Exchange Rates /Câmbios
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Credit Card Terminals Charging in Sterling?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Credit Card Terminals Charging in Sterling?
    Posted: 06/October/2023 at 10:49
Hello,

I have been to Albufeira many times and have never had a problem with paying with my UK credit cards in Euros, but have had a few instances recently where despite asking to pay in Euros, and the waiter confirming they have selected pay in Euros, the charge to my card was in UK pounds.

This happened in two different places. When I asked why this was happening neither could explain. I think in both places they were using new card payment terminals? What is also strange is that this did not happen every time. It seems sometimes the payment went through without asking me which currency I wanted to use, and would charge in Euros, but sometimes the terminal asked to choose the currency, and this seemed to be when I was charged incorrectly in UK pounds.

Should also say, this was despite trying different credit cards.

Also, apart from the two places this happened, all my other transactions went through in Euros without asking me if I wanted to pay in Sterling.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2023 at 18:10
Not sure why this has started to happen. It’s happened to me as well. Only recently, and nobody has been able to explain it yet. 
we're not brazil we're norn iron
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/October/2023 at 19:21
Same here,
On payment I checked the terminal and there was three options I seem to remember 1 pounds.
2 euros and 3 ignore exchange. I asked the waiter which one do I use and he said he doesn't know.
So I pressed "ignore exchange" and ended up paying in pounds. So I think I should have pressed the Euro one.
Up till then I had be paying in cash, but as this was our last night and used my card as I wanted to keep what Euros I had left for the journey home.  
suggy
Snoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2023 at 20:46
Thanks for the replies, at least they confirm the issue.

Will be interesting to see what happens next time I am back.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2023 at 08:55
If you opt to pay in £ your UK bank will do the conversion. That is almost always a little more favourable.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Snoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2023 at 09:13
Hi cubsur,

I assume you mean if you pay in € your UK bank will do the conversion?

I checked the difference when I got home, and when my cards were charged in £ it cost about 4% more than other charges on the same day that were charged as normal in €.

Not a big difference, but it adds up ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic