Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBREXIT –STRAWS IN THE WIND

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BREXIT –STRAWS IN THE WIND
    Posted: 12/July/2016 at 07:55

Apparently these are the first ideas from the new UK Brexit Management Govt Dept. impacting ex-pats.

State pensions

Current reciprocal payment arrangements for ex-pats to end. Inflation indexing to end with payment levels frozen like those to non EU nations – Canada, Australia, etc. Payments made after deduction of a Govt. levy/charge for administration. Maybe private pension payments also subjected to the levy.

Driving licences

Current reciprocal arrangements to end, leading to insurance changes.

Insurance

Current arrangements to end. So, for motoring, this seems to imply that ex-pats would have to immediately apply for a Portuguese licence via test, to then obtain local motoring cover. This could be rather expensive.

For property and similar cover, companies that use the UK insurance market to levy a Govt. ex-pat surcharge.

Passports/ freedom of movement

Existing EU (UK state member) passports replaced on their expiry with a traditional British Passport, BUT only for bona-fide entitled holders – won’t that be fun!!!. For ex-pats, these to be obtained only via a personal UK appointment for registration under a new ex-pat category - to flag up non UK residency. New ‘domestic visa’ restrictions on ex-pats limiting return visits to the UK for a set timescale (? 30/60 days per annum) to stop medical tourism on the NHS or similar services via accommodation addresses.

Benefits

Current arrangements to end with the new passport category used to identify those living abroad and claiming UK benefits via tame family ‘ghosts’ in the UK. (Thought they already did that?)

Taxation & Property

Current arrangements to end. New HMRC regime to enforce a double-taxation regime on ex-pat property owners using current arrangement to avoid tax and keep undeclared income renting out properties, including ‘source-tracing’ to identify the original source of money used for property purchases against UK tax payment history. One source tells me that this side of things is based on the fact that as Portugal is one of the most exposed - if the suspected Eurozone disintegration occurs, then any money hidden away under nom-de-plume names in Portuguese banks, or under the mattress, might be wiped out or rendered worthless overnight.

So, subject to any “counter-measures” to be announced by Portugal against UK ex-pats who, in the main, are considered to make little or no local contribution to their lifestyles, it may be time to start dusting off the suitcases & packing up the tea-chests for a quick sale folks.

These early straws-in-the-wind reminded me of something. Those of us who

are of 'a certain age' will recall what happened to those Brits who stayed on in Rhodesia after it went UDI in the 1960’s. I recall newspaper stories of people being barred from re-entering or returning home penniless – in short being regarded as lepers. It might be worth doing a little bit of on-line research here as there appears to be a parallel.

Cry Cry Cry

Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 08:30
Source? Or just guesswork. But nothing I would not expect to be on the table, as much of this applies to those ex-pats resident in say Canada or Australia especially the pensions part.

Not to mention full customs restrictions eg only 200 fags back into UK.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/July/2016 at 08:48
The what?...UK Brexit Management Govt. Dept.....We haven`t even got a working Government at the minute.
Nothing but scaremongering and rumour.
The way things are panning out there will not even be a Brexit.
Analogue.man.in.a.di View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 13:25
Source, Cubsur, a trustworthy source.

Watch awhile & the ‘independent’ BBC (which we pay for) will start dribbling them out..

vinnym View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 13:34
How can you describe any politician or associate as trustworthy these days
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 14:05
. "New HMRC regime to enforce a double-taxation regime on ex-pat property owners"

There is already double taxation for property owners. I know that for a fact, I pay it.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/July/2016 at 19:05
Originally posted by vinnym vinnym wrote:

Absolutely. 99% are out for nothing more than to feather their own nests and further their own causes.
That`s from local Government to the top. Seen it all in action in our local Council. Keep your gob shut and say nout and you can be Mayor next year for instance.
We are only pawns who exist to pay the expenses.
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/July/2016 at 07:09
Originally posted by vinnym vinnym wrote:

When they are deceased.
It is easy to tell when a politician is telling lies,their lips are moving.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/July/2016 at 10:59
Politicians are a fine upstanding body of men & women.  They kiss babies so they must be OK.
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/July/2016 at 12:37
Hi,could you please furnish me with the source of your post?Seems rather alarmist to me.Also,if you are already registered with the Social Security, Tax Office and Local Municipal Offices in Portugal, if the UK government wanted to change the rules,surely it would only apply to newcomers. Otherwise, it would be retrospective legislation and, as such,totally unfair.
Phil. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/July/2016 at 20:03
The lack of an answer from Analogue. man speaks volumes. Sounded like a still festering Remain supporter.
The only way forward is for everyone to pull together and prove that we can make an independent Britain, great once more.
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/July/2016 at 21:04
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

Politicians are a fine upstanding body of men & women.  They kiss babies so they must be OK.
Are you sure they are kissing them?They might just be tasting them.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/July/2016 at 12:11
I, like most Scots & Northern Irish who voted, was a remain supporter and am heart-sick. However, the decision has been made.  We must get the best deal we can for the UK and put differences behind us.  No point in festering.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/July/2016 at 14:44
Originally posted by Phil. Phil. wrote:

Hi,could you please furnish me with the source of your post?Seems rather alarmist to me.Also,if you are already registered with the Social Security, Tax Office and Local Municipal Offices in Portugal, if the UK government wanted to change the rules,surely it would only apply to newcomers. Otherwise, it would be retrospective legislation and, as such,totally unfair.

Not lived here long have you Phil?
Go away Duchatalet
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/July/2016 at 17:58
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

I, like most Scots & Northern Irish who voted, was a remain supporter and am heart-sick. However, the decision has been made.  We must get the best deal we can for the UK and put differences behind us.  No point in festering.

It was a UK referendum so how Scots, NI, London or anywhere else voted is irrelevant. You simply cannot have seperate areas of the UK saying that because they voted in, and lost,  they now want to be treated differently. It was always a case of we were either going to be all in or all out - end of.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic