Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Restaurants & Portuguese Cuisine / Restaurantes & a Comida
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alfredo's Restaurant - any news?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alfredo's Restaurant - any news?
    Posted: 21/June/2017 at 17:05
We know Alfredo himself was diagnosed with cancer early last year. His sister Patricia told us the sad news last May (2016). He called in one evening when we were there and looked very poorly. 
On our next visit last September (2016) Patricia told us he had deteriorated was approaching the end. Does anyone know when he passed away?
Fast forward to May (last month) and when we checked the restaurant out on a number of occasions, it was closed each time. 
Does anyone know if Patricia and her husband are going to keep the place going or have we seen the end of this excellent restaurant?
We have been regulars at Alfredo's for many years - we would hate to see it go for good.
Sponsored Links

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 08:55
Well, without Alfredo would it be Alfredo's?
There are several regulars on here Tom who knew him well, I'm sure they'll be able to answer your question.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 09:48
"Does anyone know when he passed away?"

October last year.

I gather that there has been some kind of family bust-up. Certainly the restaurant is closed at the moment.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
TomUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 11:30
Thanks for the update Cubsur. 
It seemed, from his sister's tearful description, that he was reaching the end last September, so it is no surprise that he passed away in October.
Whether it would be Alfredo's without Alfredo is a mute point. If the business is to carry on, surely keeping the name Alfredo's would be a fitting tribute.
As regards the rumour of a family dispute, I suppose time will tell.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 12:59
Yes - Alfredo Snr (our Alf's Dad) and Patricia are unable to work with each other at the moment. I don't see that changing to be honest, so the restaurant remains closed for the foreseeable future.  
Go away Duchatalet
TomUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 16:14
That's a shame Algarveaddick. Could be a waste of a good business because of a family feud.
My wife was speculating that we know Alfredo had an ex-wife. My wife was making 2+2 make 5 thinking that she could be a factor.
One thing's for sure, my long and interesting chats with Alfredo about the merits of Benfica and Manchester City will now become just a fond memory.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 17:54
Nothing at all to do with Sandra (the ex), I assure you Tom. 
Go away Duchatalet
cheekygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheekygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 22:26
Had some lovely meals there with Perry & Karen over the years. Would be a shame if they didn't sort out there differences and reopen.
Loving it in the sun

TomUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2017 at 10:52
Cheers for that info Algarveaddick. Good to know the fact about Sandra.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic