Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Beaches / As Praias
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albufeira's beaches today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 115>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/October/2014 at 17:19
Yes that's the one I saw ~ I recognise the missile launcher on the bow
el birnn View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el birnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2014 at 06:56
It's one of ours.. Big smile

Full info here : http://www.vesselfinder.com/vessels/FREJA-R-IMO-8105105-MMSI-219313000
Nunc bibendum est
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2014 at 10:19
They are going to do São Rafael and one or two of the others starting next week, when the official beach season has ended. I shall pop over that way some time next week when I feel the need for some cycling exercise.

When I was at Praia dos Aveiros the other day I noticed that the level of sand was a couple of feet higher than I remember. Whether that's through natural causes or man-made I don't really know, but I suspect natural as there weren't great piles of shells.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
windmillhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windmillhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2014 at 10:55
We went to see if they'd started work at Castelo and were amazed to see that the beach has grown to about the same size as Sao Rafael. Big smile  But it's got the same problem as the Albufeira beaches had, in that walking without shoes probably won't be advisable for a year or two. Unhappy

www.algarve-windmillhill.co.uk
Penthouse apartment with spectacular views
washburn53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote washburn53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2014 at 12:17
This is a update track: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-8.475166/centery:37.09383/zoom:10/mmsi:219313000
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2014 at 16:03
It's been floating about off shore on the other side of the Marina the past couple of weeks.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/October/2014 at 19:50
Sunloungers etc still on the town beach for another few days thanks to the unusually hot weather but the lifeguards have gone. Children especially take care on the beach as the sea can be quite rough at this time of year.
Albufeira Resident

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2014 at 07:10
Falesia at around 3pm yesterday - a bit hazy and not exactly packed

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2014 at 07:38
Oh that looks so lovely
my beautiful portugal
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2014 at 20:30
Just thought I'd give an update regarding sand erosion on Falesia Beach.
It was high tide at around 3pm this afternoon & the sea was going right up to the back of the beach - the tide today was not at it's highest (3.2m) or the sea at it's roughest but there hardly a dry grain of sand to be found anywhere.
The Sheraton Watersports Hut in the picture below has been left high & "dry". When they put this hut up in April the supports at the front were 2ft above the sand, now they are 5ft above the sand.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2014 at 20:48
Sheraton Hotels' attempt to stop the sea.

Two years ago, they installed a number of huge sandbags to protect their sunbed area.
As reported earlier in this thread, these started to disintegrate after a heavy storm at the beginning of April.
Since then they have continued to fall apart & now there is virtually nothing left - not one bag remains fully intact.
The built up area of beach behind them has been washed away leaving less than 50% of the original sunbed area which is now totally unusable at high tide.
These sandbags are (were) some 15m to 20m long and 5m wide. They are (were) set a good 5m deep into the sand. They are (were) made of industrial strength (at least 5mm thick) synthetic woven material but they have simply been ripped apart & shredded by the force of the waves.
The installation of these would not have been cheap & probably cost thousands of Euro's.
What they do next to reinstate a reasonably sized sunbed area for next summer remains to be seen - this is the second attempt over the last 5 years to hold back the sea that has failed miserably.
As things stand they cannot accommodate anywhere near the number of sunbeds they need - they normally have about 150 but now they only have 50.
As you can see, the sea was still bashing into them, or what's left of them, this afternoon and getting mighty close to people on sunbeds who appeared totally oblivious of the situation. The ridge in the sand (about 2ft high) that the sunbeds are sitting on was crumbling into the sea at a steady rate while I stood there taking these photos.
The shame is that there has been no attempt to clean up the mess left behind which is both unsightly & dangerous, especially when they get covered by the high tide - first picture taken at low tide this morning.

lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2014 at 20:55
Wow these are dramatic photos, I remember the giant sausage like defences, didn't realise the had been destroyed.
my beautiful portugal
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2014 at 21:13
Excellent photos to illustrate an interesting topic. Shame about the mess.

The hotel won't like the bad publicity if these got into the press.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2014 at 10:57
The sea will have its way. Short of doing something on the scale of what was done in Albufeira itself, that area will soon be underwater. It would cost millions which probably won't be community funded. In Albufeira the erosion of the beach was starting to affect properties and causing minor flooding in town, ie there was more than just a few sun beds at risk.

Tomorrow I plan to visit the beaches at São Rafael, Castelo etc to see what's happening there.
Albufeira Resident

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/October/2014 at 20:39
Took the short bus ride down to the Alfamar today. Just a couple of miles further along Falesia Beach but a totally different picture. Very little sand loss and at least 20 yards of dry sand even at high tide this afternoon. Glorious weather too. Magic!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4748495051 115>
  Share Topic