Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90 days

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fred hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 90 days
    Posted: 05/June/2022 at 07:51
Can anyone inform me about the 90 day rule for staying in portugal.I normally stay 5 months in Albufeira (winter warrior)I managed to get back in May for 7 days so is that taken from the 90 days and do passport control check now because they are stamped on way out, Thanks for any help will i get fined or deported for overstaying
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2022 at 10:35
Yes you could be fined for overstaying. That's the whole point of UK no longer being part of Europe. Free movement is no longer permitted into UK unless you have a rubber boat on the coast of France or are a footballer.

The rule for tourist stays has always been 90 days, but was never enforced. Now, your passport is stamped on arrival and examined on the way back. Everyone I know who used to come here for long stays is now very careful to observe the rules, just in case.

You can stay for a maximum of 90 days in any 180 days, so at the moment you have 83 days left until November.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/June/2022 at 12:37
So if he finishes his stay on the 30th October leaves the country and returns in November you can stay for another 90 days or does the 180 day rule kick in when you come into the country from the first day of the 83 you have left in that period? 
suggy
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2022 at 09:47
It's an accumulated 90 days in any 180 days.  So if you leave on day 89, even if that is composed of several short stays over the previous 180 days, you cannot come back for another 90 days.

No I don't know how they keep track of that either. Does someone count the stamps on your passport? It does strain belief slightly that in the 21st century with everything being recorded on databases when your passport is scanned, that they seem to have to rely on a rubber stamp.

Anyone wishing to stay longer in the EU can always apply for a visa.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Gazza View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2022 at 10:27
Just one of the many benefits that Brexit has delivered no doubt. But we have a blue passport! Ermm
Take only memories, leave only footprints
fred hood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fred hood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2022 at 10:44
Many thanks cubsur and others.
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/June/2022 at 15:24
Thanks for the update Tom.
suggy
hamlet View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hamlet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2022 at 01:42
Originally posted by fred hood fred hood wrote:

Can anyone inform me about the 90 day rule for staying in portugal.I normally stay 5 months in Albufeira (winter warrior)I managed to get back in May for 7 days so is that taken from the 90 days and do passport control check now because they are stamped on way out, Thanks for any help will i get fined or deported for overstaying

Use schengenvisas.com. Works out the number of days still available. Just put in the dates you have been in EU in the past year. First class.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic