Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 Budget IMI massive increase for some

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2016 Budget IMI massive increase for some
    Posted: 30/September/2016 at 21:59
Just found this in the algarvedailynews re massive increase on IMI for some homeowners.
http://www.algarvedailynews.com/news/9957-property-owners-with-low-utility-bills-face-300-imi-rates-increase
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/October/2016 at 10:12
Fortunately for many of us mainly empty properties. Seems a bit nasty though. Did you read about the one off 'mansion tax' that is also being imposed to fund the reduction in the IVA on restaurant meals?

I would imagine most people affected by either will refuse to pay or be already contacting their lawyers.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/October/2016 at 18:48
Also found this re the Registered Alojamento local license  (AL) for short term rental property owners.
http://algarvedailynews.com/news/9980-income-tax-shock-for-registered-alojamento-local-owners
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/October/2016 at 11:27
All that means is that fewer people will declare income from short lettings. Will government be monitoring sites like Airbnb and then go round to bang on doors? Wouldn't put it past them.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/October/2016 at 14:19
They appear to have the foresight of a Brexit voter.
Go away Duchatalet
Polo Marco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/October/2016 at 17:33
What is it with sore losers?
Epi360 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/October/2016 at 19:10
Originally posted by Polo Marco Polo Marco wrote:

What is it with sore losers?

The truth hurts
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2016 at 13:24
The UK will be the losers, sadly - even the mention of a date for triggering article 50 sends the value of the pound down. One of the beautiful things about "democracy" is that debate and discussion can go on after a decision is made. Opposition supporters don't just keep silent for five years after a government is elected. Brexit has already and will continue to effect me directly, as it has and will visitors to this country and others who come from the UK.

Two of the three cornerstones of the Brexit claims were hastily withdrawn after the referendum, and those that made them, made themselves scarce as soon as they realised the mess they had created.

You are the ones who should be sore, you are the ones they fooled...
Go away Duchatalet
Epi360 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2016 at 15:37
Well said Algarveaddick , as I said the truth hurts .
Polo Marco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/October/2016 at 15:48
I personally paid little attention to what either side said during the campaign, both sides were full of the brown stuff and I've been around long enough to take with a pinch of salt what any politician says.  I did my own research and made my own mind up based on how I see things.

I'm still waiting to be visited by the ten biblical plagues and an emergency budget which is going to increase taxes, slash NHS funding and cut OAP benefits immediately following the vote to leave.

Nobody can say with any certainty whether the UK will be the losers or not, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a country which makes its own laws and controls its own borders.  One thing is certain, the EU and democracy do not go together.

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 07:49
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

The UK will be the losers, sadly - even the mention of a date for triggering article 50 sends the value of the pound down. You are the ones who should be sore, you are the ones they fooled...

I think it's difficult for those who live abroad to actually gauge the strength of anti EU feeling in the UK.
I voted remain, solely because I own a property within the EU, but when I went back to the UK after the vote I was surprised that so many, if not all, of my friends & family had voted to leave.
Generally speaking the majority of people in the UK who I speak to couldn't care less about the negatives of leaving, least of all the exchange rate, as they would rather be free of further EU intervention in our way of life.
And I must admit that I am rapidly coming round to their way of thinking.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 09:36
Originally posted by Polo Marco Polo Marco wrote:

I personally paid little attention to what either side said during the campaign, both sides were full of the brown stuff and I've been around long enough to take with a pinch of salt what any politician says.  I did my own research and made my own mind up based on how I see things.

I'm still waiting to be visited by the ten biblical plagues and an emergency budget which is going to increase taxes, slash NHS funding and cut OAP benefits immediately following the vote to leave.

Nobody can say with any certainty whether the UK will be the losers or not, but there is nothing wrong with wanting to live in a country which makes its own laws and controls its own borders.  One thing is certain, the EU and democracy do not go together.

Can`t argue with that.
A lot of peoples` concerns is the amount of people entering the Country purely for economic reasons under the guise of persecution in their own Country.
Often we don`t even know what Country they have come from as they declare they have no papers.
We allow half of Eastern Europe to take all the lower paid jobs instead of making the unemployed get off their a***s
On another thread it was mentioned the waiting time on the NHS...is there any wonder?
Health,housing, education, general infrastructure one small Country can only supply so much. You only have to walk around any town centre and see the amount of other nationalities.
Unfortunately this is what the person on the street sees.
Trouble is you voice these concerns and you are accused of being racist.
For me hopefully getting back to our own Government running the Country and not some unelected European nobody is worth a few Euros less on the exchange rate.
Of course that is only part of the bigger picture. Whether it turns out to a good thing or a bad thing only time will tell. Hopefully it works out well for everybody.
I think it makes healthy debate but I can`t understand why people are falling out over it as some of my mates have.
By the way UKIP are looking for a new leader...anyone interested?
Patti View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 11:49
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

The UK will be the losers, sadly - even the mention
of a date for triggering article 50 sends the value of the pound down.
You are the ones who should be sore, you are the ones they fooled...

I think it's difficult for those who live abroad to actually gauge the strength of anti EU feeling in the UK.
I voted remain, solely because I own a property within the EU, but when I went back to the UK after the vote I was surprised that so many, if not all, of my friends & family had voted to leave.
Generally speaking the majority of people in the UK who I speak to couldn't care less about the negatives of leaving, least of all the exchange rate, as they would rather be free of further EU intervention in our way of life.
And I must admit that I am rapidly coming round to their way of thinking.

Totally agree with that Dicey , Britain will be better in the end , maybe be a bit rocky for while though
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 13:04
Trouble is Paul (Toni's Dad), that almost all of what you have just written is not true or irrelevant. It's what you have been told, and you are reporting it in good faith, but it's massive exaggeration or lies.

First point, "people entering the Country purely for economic reasons under the guise of persecution in their own Country". Apart from being a tiny number of people anyway - Britain has taken in less than 8000 Syrian refugees since 2011, for example and just 0.24% of the UK population are refugees - this has nothing whatsoever to do with whether we are in the EU or not, they are not EU migrants. Leaving the EU will not make it any harder for these people to come to the UK. Indeed, if the French open up that camp in Calais, as they have every right to do post-Brexit, I dare say there will be more asylum seekers/refugees, it stands to reason?

The bit about "no papers" - well I have tried to find some accurate information about numbers on the internet, but all I could find were stories about asylum seekers actually being jailed for turning up without passports, and an entirely non-credible headline from The Express about asylum seekers in Germany. If you have a credible link for the claim, I would be happy to read it.

"We allow half of Eastern Europe to take all the lower paid jobs instead of making the unemployed get off their a***s"

Leaving aside the hyperbole worthy of The Daily Mail at it's worst , there are about 2.2 million EU immigrants working in the UK, there are 1.6 million unemployed. Even when I was at school, all those years ago, it was generally accepted that there are always about a million people unemployed at any one time (those between jobs, on "career breaks", unemployable etc), so the numbers don't stack up. 600'000 to do 2.2 million jobs? Leaving aside the fact that many of those EU migrants are actually A) not from Eastern Europe and B) in skilled jobs. And would you seriously expect a redundant 45 year old bank worker from Belfast to sell his house, take his kids out of school and move to Boston to pick fruit? Would you do it? Ultimately, it's down to the UK government to deal with the lazy buggers, leaving the EU wont make any difference to that.

The waiting time on the NHS? "Health, housing, education, general infrastructure one small Country can only supply so much. You only have to walk around any town centre and see the amount of other nationalities.
Unfortunately this is what the person on the street sees."

The NHS that would be in an even worse state without immigrants from all over the world working there? The NHS that successive UK governments have underfunded, because they prefer to give tax breaks to individuals and companies that fund their parties, rather than invest in it? EU migrants contribute over 2 BILLION to the economy every year, they more than pay for their care, schooling and housing. If there's a housing crisis, then it's once again in the UK government's hands. These other nationalities are NEEDED. If the right wing press started telling the truth rather than scapegoating people, then the man in the street would not have a problem with it.

As for our own government running the country, well I have already given two examples where they have failed miserably to do the job they
are supposed to do, and there are dozens of others - each day from the Tory conference we are hearing more and more ridiculous policy suggestions. Unelected European nobody or unelected, old etonian Oxbridge civil servant running the country - what's the difference? They don't give a tinkers cuss for the man in the street either...

I don't think you are racist to voice the concerns, but once the facts have been explained to you, as I have just done, and if you then continue to use the same arguments, it would certainly suggest you were at the very least, xenophobic.
Go away Duchatalet
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/October/2016 at 13:58
On a lighter note... http://newsthump.com/2016/09/26/lifestyle-promoted-by-nigel-farage-putting-strain-on-nhs-warn-immigrants/
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic